Tripoli South Carolina Sport Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
Tripoli South Carolina will be holding a sport launch Saturday and Sunday, Dec 13th and 14th..... As of right now, the weatherman says saturday will be mostly sunny and highs in the mid 50s and sunday will mostly cloudy with a chance of rain.........

So you all are invited........ This will be the "Tour de Duece"s South Carolina stop.......... I think a few of our regular TRF guys will be there as Ken, Mark and Phil are planning to show up...... I look forward to meeting these guys........

I should be having two "first"s this weekend....... My first cluster launch........ (both my own duece and the Tour's dueces) and my first Hybrid launch..........

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Sounds great, man! Wish I could come down! I'm in Charlotte right between the two big TRF groups of people....central NC and SC...I'm in southern NC...we need to meet sometime at a TRA Charlotte launch ;). Then again, Chris and I could go up to Salisbury or down to O-berg just as easily. Back to the SC launch.... What are you flying for the cluster??? I assume you're putting the hybrid in your Expediter?

Originally posted by marvSRG
What are you flying for the cluster??? I assume you're putting the hybrid in your Expediter?

I am flying my Duece's Wild for the cluster........ And yes the expeditor is my hybrid rocket......... I think I will be using a 440cc "J" motor........ It should get off the pad ok!!!:D

Originally posted by marvSRG
What are you flying for the cluster???

I've finally got my Ultimate Max ready to fly. Planning on a J330 airstarting 3 H123's and 3 I161's. Should be fun :D I've also got a bunch of F21's for my 24mm version Ultimate and if time and weather permits, the Motoreater will fly on something.

Tom, that sounds awesome! When are you flying all this? December? Too bad if so...I'd love to see your Ultimate Max (one of my favorite rockets ever kitted....hopefully I'll get one of the new regular 4" Ultimates for Christmas:D ). Sounds like you guys are going to be having a lot of fun down in O-berg....maybe I'll get down for a regular sport launch other than Freedom this year.

Oh wow! I didn't even realize the Ultimate was back in production.

One of the best cluster flights I've ever seen was an Ultimate flown on two F50s, four G80s, and an airstart H180; 880 N-sec! And this was just at an informal launch in western Massachusetts.

Back on topic; wish I could make the O-burg launches more often, but maybe its better on personal finances that I only go 2 or 3 times a year. I should be able to make it in April, and will be bringing the BT-60 Bull Pup referenced elsewhere on this forum.

Rocketmaniac et al - sorry to have to deliver this news at the last minute, but Phil, Mark and I will not be making the trip to O-burg tomorrow. According to the weather forecast, the launch is probably going to end around 3PM due to rain. Since it doesn't start until 11 or 12..... 230 miles is just a bit far to drive for maybe 3 hours worth of launching. Plus, it looks like the wind is going to be pretty bad, and my son and I had big plans for flying rocket gliders, which isn't a lot of fun in the wind.

We'll try to make another O-burg launch when the weather forecast is better.

I have been delayed...... I just got back from taking my daughter to the hospital......... High fever and not able to hold anything down all night.........

I am running to get things packed and race to O-burg........

Well, I got to Oburg around 3:00pm..... The weather was not the greatest, but we were able to get off some low and mid power stuff......... The cloud cover prevented me from flying my Expeditor

But I was able to do the first flight of my Sprint named the Pumpkin Head...... I put it up on a F25-6W....... After a second or two of spitting and spuddering it finally took off when a loud roar........ I had several people ask me if I used an EconoJet like a F21.............

Here is the first pic on the pad

And then it was time for my Duece........When I first got there I had several people if I brought the "Tour's" Dueces....... I told it would be another time for that but that I had my personal duece.............. I named it "Double Trouble"......... When I got it out I realized I had not finished putting the shock cord and parachute in it........ So I pulled out my handy dandy 5 min Epoxy and mixed up a small batch........... and I put it on and waited.......... and waited........ and waited......... I learned today that in cold weather epoxy doesn't work right..... I even got in my truck and turned on the heater.......... Just wouldn't work right........

As a last ditch effort I borrowed some superglue....... (yes I know it will degrade the cord, but I only wanted it to last for one flight) Then I put in two C6-5s and went to the pad..........

The flight was great.......... I didn't try and get a "launch" pic as Rocketjunkie was videotaping it.......... I'll let you know when he uploads it to our club's website, but for know here is "double trouble" on the pad.........

WOW! Yer left motor seems to have twice the output (looking and the difference in flame length).

I can see why she is kinda of course. Waiting for the fins to catch up.

Cool shot!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
WOW! Yer left motor seems to have twice the output (looking and the difference in flame length).

The motors lit 1/3 second apart. The left motor is still in the peak thrust phase, the other is in the sustain phase.

Latest posts

Back