Tripoli One Million Feet Award

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MClark

Reaction score
Tripoli Records Committee is starting an award for members who have accumulated one million feet of altitude. This can be the total of any number of flights with no time limits.
The award will be recognition on the records pages and a pin.

Details at below link, section 9.0 near bottom.
https://tripoli-records.org/records/events.html
Mark.
and I am now the new guy on records committee.

Interesting award. I would think there will be quite a few people well past 1,000,000 feet. The flight log posted on my old website has not been updated since 2008 but it shows I had flown a total of 1,133,509 feet by then. https://www.vernk.com/FlightLog.htm

I will send you the updated version as an official submission.

I, for one, haven't really logged anything other than my L2 flight. Now that this is a thing, I'm certainly going to start keeping track. Thank you for introducing it.

20 years of HP without a log. Crappy paperwork catches up with ya sooner or later.
Probably have flown this much - just no way to prove it.

Was actually wondering just the other day (due to a comment from a friend) if I've flown a million Newton-Seconds of my own propellant -- I think I have done that multiple times....

Interesting award - hope you post who earns it somewhere.

I had 43 flights on my L3 rocket Speedy..all but 6 were M motors. Blah blah blah...I bet I had a tad over 700,000 feet on that rocket.
It's last flight was..no apogee event ...very nasty main deployment..slightly below grade resting spot. I have the remains..I could rebuild it!

35758730390_91f412244f_o.jpg

Tony

Fred, I’m in the same situation, I have never logged flights.
However..........we will accept other evidence. If you have a photograph of a rocket and basic dimensions and motor, a typical altitude for the combo will be considered.

I don't even know how many rockets I've launched, much less their altitude. Not that I would be a contender anyway ....

Tripoli Records Committee is starting an award for members who have accumulated one million feet of altitude. This can be the total of any number of flights with no time limits.
The award will be recognition on the records pages and a pin.

Details at below link, section 9.0 near bottom.
https://tripoli-records.org/records/events.html
Mark.
and I am now the new guy on records committee.
Great job putting together the “Million Air” award, Mark!

I'm sure there are many us that could hit that mark quickly if you would allow us to include the many long walks to retrieve wayward rockets . . . .

I'm sure there are many us that could hit that mark quickly if you would allow us to include the many long walks to retrieve wayward rockets . . . .

A category for horizontal distance would have many members.
(1,000,000= 189 miles)

I'm sure I have 1M+ ft each in LPR and HPR, but no real way to prove it...c'est la vie!

FWIW a competition grade C model will easily crack 2000 ft. and an E egglofter can hit 1km, so it's really not that hard in LPR if you go at it for a while.

Totaled up the flights I have altimeter files for 1,469,803 feet (since 2000) :) Going a lot slower now since the field is smaller, only 1-3K feet per flight.

Cool
I have kept logs of 90% of my flights, but all together they likely total less than 50K. Its a long road ahead.

Great job Tom! I have 1858 flights in my log and I have built and flown 9 different altimeter equipped Rockets since 1994 when I started with an Adept RAS2. I’ll have to make a spreadsheet to add up the altimeter flights and see where I stand.

Back