Tripoli Mid Ohio Season Opener Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Austin

Tripoli Mid Ohio has confirmed we are a go for our first launch of the 2003/4 season! The launch is on for this weekend, Saturday November 22nd and Sunday November 23rd, 2003. Crops are out of the field and weather looks good so far with mild temps both days. The field has a waiver to 8000' and supports everything from sport models to "M" class rockets. Hope to see you there!

Visit https://www.tripolimidohio.org for more information.

Carl Tulanko
TMO Staff

BTW, I think your club has a really COOL website! Everything is well laid out, the frame is attractive, well chosen colors, and the pages are chock full of useful info. Nice work! Kudos to the webmaster.

To follow up on Nick's post, whatcha flyin'? :D

OMG...Nick, you ARE the impatient one man!!! :)

Well, I wanted to fly the Big Deuce...but was going to confirm and call Ross this morning for motors before I told...that's why I was hesitating, but noooo, you can't wait... (hehehe)

I plan on putting up a bunch of HPR Saturday...the Super Deuce on twin Smokey Sams, Harpoon on an I211W, Maverick on an I211, PML Amraam 2 on a H128W, RAAM on a H128W or H180W, Phoenix on an I161W, Estes BLU-97B on a F24W, PML Small Endeavour on a I161W and the Nomad on a three motor arrangment. No L2 or L3 stuff, with the exception of the Big Deuce which will be launched using motor ejection this time, because my altimeters still need to go into the shop for repair. I am not going to risk a launch with an intermittent alt, and all my big stuff need altimeters.

So, there ya go Nick...ya happy now???!!! :D

Eugene, thanks for the cudos on the website...it was fun to build!

Carl

Carl,

Ditto what Eugenio said about your web. It's clean, crisp and fast loading. good job.

As for Nick... :D Well, he's gonna be out of sport rocketry commission for a while so I guess we can cut him some slack, eh??

keep me posted on the 38-special flight! I feel a real kin-ship to that beaut

Originally posted by jflis
Carl,

As for Nick... :D Well, he's gonna be out of sport rocketry commission for a while so I guess we can cut him some slack, eh??

Yeah, what he said.:D

Carl,
Are you going both days? I have to work tomorrow but will be there Sunday if the weather cooperates. I also plan to cert L1 then.

Chilly,

I will not be attending Sunday and the weather is not going to be as favorable.

Good luck bro!!!

Carl

I am back from the first Tripoli Mid Ohio launch of the season and can describe the experience with a single word...

...AWESOME!!! :)

It was a HUGE showing with people from all over the midwest to include Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and others. Some great birds were launched and when I left at 2:30pm, there had been over 70 HPR launches so far...WAY busy day!

One of the highlights was our former Prefect and all around great guy, Kreig Williams, launched his HUGE two stage that was first debuted at LDRS99...It went up on a L850 to K700 with J airstarts...a perfect flight and recovery and awesome to see. Several more launches included airstarts, and all were successful. Another debut launch was an L3 Cert attempt on a Green Gorilla M in a MegaNuk...great flight and recovery!

My Deuces Wild! 38 Special was also debuted and flew perfectly on two I212 Smokey Sams...another one for the books. There were a few models lost, but every launch was kept safe. I actually had my first "core sample" since I got into HPR...guess I was overdue. My 1/3 Scale Harpoon AGM-84A will not fly again and is about two feet shorter. It was launched on a 4 grain I285 Smokey Sam and flew great, but the delay, which was cut to ten secs, fired WAY late, about 1 sec after it hit the ground...not sure what happened there but I got to use "bag recovery" for the first time. Funny thing is the model from the fins back doesn't have a mark on it...pretty wild.

Other launches for myself included my son Thomas' PML Amraam 2 on a H128W...one of the first launches of the day and it got everyone "wowing" with it's bullet launch! Also, I flew the Maverick AGM-65A to a perfect flight and recovery. It was the shortest, heaviest for it's size rocket there and flew the straightest of all the flights...really cool!

We flew serious HPR today, and nothing but...the Phoenix was also loaded up with an I161W...oh yea, we prepped all the rockets the nite before..what a great thing to arrive and fill out flight cards, then just walk to the pad with a pre-prepped model. One more note...the Estes BLU-97B Cluster Bomb flew again today...it has gone up a bunch on C11's, D12's, E9's and E18W's. Today, it received a F24W...Holy Shnikies!!! That's all I can say...recovery was also perfect and close, for once.

I want to thank our Prefect Gary Dickinson for hosting a great launch; I thiink he was very pleased with the turnout. We even had people just show up to watch, thanks to the Discovery Channel broadcast...one of em helped me fetch my birds and had a blast!!! Also, a HUGE thanks goes out to Dan Crane, who was LCO for the entire day and did a fantastic job...thanks much Dan!!!

Well, my feet are killing me, I must have walked what feels like 10 miles through plowed field...tough walking! The afterpains are worth it though as my son and I had one great day of flying...as did the rest, at the Tripoli Mid Ohio 2004 Opener!

Pics, of course: https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?dir=tmo/nov2003

Carl

Carl,

you look just *too* darned happy in them pix! :) Sounds like you had a great day of flying! Too bad on the lawn-dart but it wouldn't be called "sport" if it were flawless and predictable :D

Glad to see the 38-Special still wowing them :) Little quick on the shutter though, aren't we??

Do you have any *after* pix of the Harpoon AGM-84A? that's gotta hurt. He had a couple of lawn-darts at CMASS today but nothing like *that* :(

Great pics Carl! Tnx for sharing, as usual. Sorry to hear about the Harpoon. I hope I'm years away from my 1st core sample. Sounds like it was great time though, all in all.

RIP to the Harpoon. That rocket certainly earned it's keep! Between a motor CATO, a tangled chute and now this.

Great pics Carl! Love the one of the Maverick liftoff. Gotta love a flame longer than the rocket!! :D:D

Really sorry to hear about the Harpoon, Carl. I think that's the first instance I've heard of a Cesaroni delay going long.

Great report and pics, as usual.

I can't believe you left at 2:30 in the afternoon. Getting too old to last all day? :D

Originally posted by jflis
nawww, he was probably having cookie-withdrawl... :D

LOL!!!!!!!

Carl, sorry to hear about the Harpoon. :( I always look at it like this - if you can go home at the end of the day with all of your rockets (I didn't say intact), then the day was eventful. Pieces are better than nothing. Hey, if dog owners feel that there's a special place for their pets after their lives here on Earth, then darnit so do rockets! (I am a current dog owner a former owner of a 2" Deuces Wild! that sunk in a lake.) Sometimes the loss of a rocket does one of two things - motivates the rocketeer to build something new, or open a space in the fleet for more purchases!

Despite the loss, from outward appearances it looks like fun was had by all. I am sure you had a great time.

Carl,

Sorry to hear about the Harpoon.

But it did sound like you had fun! I just did yard work yesterday!

I should have gone!

sandman

Unfortunately, not a success...it just plain physically HURTS that I had to work yesterday and miss this. Winds were bad today, worse than forecast.

We all stood around for an hour or so going "you go first", "no, YOU go first", "no way man, YOU go first"!

So...first one up was a 3-G cluster (sorry, I didn't catch the name) that met an unfortunate demise. The rocket hung on the launch rail, one of the motors ejected early, and the others just kept going. Pretty much char-broiled it.

Next up was my Arreaux on an F20-4 - it was the only thing with a short enough delay I was willing to fly! Flew great, arced into the wind, then the chute deployed and it was OFF TO THE RACES! Doggone thing must have drifted 3/4 of a mile, nearly all the way out to the highway. But I got it back and it will fly again.

Two more birds went up while I was doing the "walk of shame". The wind just kept getting worse so Gary scrubbed it about 11 AM.

My biggest disappointment, besides missing all the great flying yesterday, was that my L1 cert was not to be. At least Gary got to inspect the Javelin and gave it a thumbs up and some hints on how to make it better.

Overall though, it was a good time just meeting some great people and shooting the breeze. See you next launch!

Nice photo report Carl. I too am sorry about your loss. This is inevitable in this sport. And I know what you are talking about with the feet. I can wander a sod farm all day and be fine, but put me on a plowed bumpy field and the ankles/feet really get beat up.

Wow - great launch report, Carl! How high was the creek, by the way? Sorry to hear about the Harpoon, but glad everything else was great! Man, I'm mad I missed that launch - looks like fun was had by all. How did the Small Endeavour do on the I161? That's alot of motor for that rocket!!!

Loopy

Back