Tripoli Louisiana host "High Cotton" April 5th-6th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayouRat

Reaction score
We are a small club. This means no lines at the pads. The field is huge and well drained. There is a nice Best Western Motel in Winnsboro, LA about 7 miles from the launch site. Hope to see you there.

Tripoli Louisiana "High Cotton"

TWO DAY END OF SEASON BLAST OFF! (With Porta-Potty)
That's right, we will have a toilet. This is a club first!

Saturday and Sunday April 5th & 6th 9:00am till Dark Saturday. Sunday 9:00am till 3:00pm
High Cotton Field, Winnsboro, LA (See website for directions)
Waiver 10,000ft (Windows to 15,000 available on request.)
Motors A-M (L-M flights must have prior approval. Contact in advance)
(Hybrid support available. With arrangements made in advance.)

Dinner at Jesse's Steakhouse Saturday night.

Launch Fees: $20.00 for high power (H-M)
$10.00 for mid power (E-G)
Low Power is always FREE (A-D)

Hope to see you all there,

Whit,

Sorry I can't make it but I sure would like to see some pic's and vid's.

Andrew

It's Official now! This weekends launch is a "GO"

We are going to have a great time this weekend. There are lots of awesome rockets and flight profiles planned

We will have a Porta-Potty at the site for the first time in club history. Don't be alarmed if you see a motor or two strapped to it. There have been threats.
icon_e_wink.gif

Please send me an email if you are planning to attend. Let me know what you are planning to fly so we can get an idea of how to setup the range. Also we will need some help setting up everything so if you can come early or stay late let me know that too.

There will be several College students from ULL and there Professor in attendance. They are working on a NASA Student Launch Initiative flight. So let's role out the red carpet and help them out anyway we can . I am sure there will be lots of questions.

There also is an "M" Motor flight planned. First time since the failed V2 attempt of 2002. So you don't want to miss this launch.

Tripoli Louisiana High Cotton Two Day Blast Off!
April 5, 2008 9:00AM - Till we quit.
April 6, 2008 9:00AM - 3:00PM
Winnsboro, LA "High Cotton Field" (Check the website for directions)
Waiver 10,000' (15,000' windows available on request)
Launch Fees:
$20 High Power H-M
$10 Mid Power E-G
FREE Low Power A-D
* Club Members 1/2 Price (Cub Membership is $20 per year)

Informal dinner and meeting at Jesse's Steak House Saturday night.

Official Hotel of "High Cotton" is the Best Western Winnsboro.

I hope to see you all there,
Whitney Richard
Secretary Tripoli Louisiana
Cell 504-914-8202
Home 985-240-4161

Call or e-mail if you have any questions or comments.

:chicken:
Don't forget to bring your Apogee Aspire with any G motor and participate in the "Aspire Wars" mass Aspire Launch. Aspire Wars will be held Saturday afternoon.
:vroam::surprised::D

Hope to see you at the launch,

TRALA_Flag.jpg

Wow! What a weekend. We smashed all records for Tripoli Louisiana this weekend! We launched 39 flights on Saturday and 38 on Sunday for a total of 77 flights. The average impulse on Sunday was higher due to 4 Ks, 1 L and 1 M. This was the most successful launch we have ever had. The Porta-Potty seems to have made all the difference. So we have decided to have one at all TRA-LA launches from here on out. We also decided to do another two day event in the fall. While Saturday got off to a slow start. We made up for it Sunday. There were great successes and spectacular failures. Everything you would want to see at a launch.
Here's a flight report on what I contributed to this record setting total.

Saturday started off cold and cloudy. I didn't mind the cold but the ceiling made for low flight profiles for most of the day.

The first rocket I flew was my "Coral Snake". This is a modified Performance Rocketry Lil' Dog. I flew it on a G339 "Warp Nine" motor. It punched hard off the pad. The motor only burns for .3 seconds and burned out at 38 ft. off the pad. Then the rocket coasted the rest of the way to 1,100 ft. This was a very cool flight. Recovery was successfully provided by a 100" streamer and my MAWD.

My second flight was not as successful. I put my Alpha 4x up on an I200. The up part was perfect but I forgot to put the drogue chute in the rocket. Subsequently the d-bag never came out of the tube. So the rocket came in flat. It smacked the ground hard. From the sound of it I thought the rocket would be in pieces. To my amazement there was very little damage. A couple of stress cracks on the filets and some on the body tube. It will fly again after some cosmetic repairs.

I quit flying for the rest of the day. I didn't have any thing that would stay under the clouds. I knew Sunday was going to be clear. So I called it a day.

Sunday brought clear skies warmer temperatures and light and variable winds. It was time to fly.

My first flight of the day was my 4" rocket "Research One" on a J350. Once again I got the up part right. The apogee charge blew right on time and the rocket was coming down for a normal dual deployment recovery. But the main charge never blew. It hit the ground hard but flat. Once again I got lucky. Only cosmetic damage. By this time I was beginning to doubt myself. I really needed some successes.

Next I decided to keep it simple. I flew my LOC Aura on a G79W. Nice flight. It went way up there. The 40 feet of surveyors tape streamer made it easy to find.

Then it was time for the Apogee Aspire drag race. I racked up my Aspire with Dave Landry's and the students from ULL who had one also. The button was pushed and the race was on. I don't know who left the pad first. It was pretty spectacular. The students rocket shredded and turned quickly into rocket confetti. Dave's rocket lawn darted in the field. My flight was successful. I saw the chalk bomb at apogee and the streamers deployed. We tracked it down till it landed in the waste high wheat field. I looked for a short while but was unable to find it. I had to quit looking since there were launch duties to attend to. We were getting ready to fly the big stuff. It didn't matter I'll build another one and the whole drag race was worth the loss. We will have to do this again next launch it was way cool!

There was no wind and the sky was clear blue. It was time to air out my 54mm minimum diameter rocket "Bones" on a K550. This flight profile had it hitting 10,000' at just over the speed of sound. I was a little nervous going into the flight considering my earlier failures. But the law of averages was on my side. Surely this was going to be a good flight. I headed out to the new pad. Paul and I set the rail perfectly straight up vertical. This flight was going to rock! The button was pushed and the K550 did it's job and punched another hole in the Louisiana sky. The rocket flew straight as if the rail extended 10,000ft up. We lost sight of it for a few minutes. I had a signal from the Beeline transmitter so I knew all was well. Then off in the distance about a mile away I saw the main deploy. It was a welcome sight and a relief to have a successful flight after the earlier mishaps. After it landed I drove over to the area and started into the field of waste high wheat again. It was an easy find with the tracking receiver and I had my rocket back in a few minutes. The PerfectFlite MAWD was beeping out 9,593ft. This turned out to be the altitude record for the launch. It's also my personal best at the High Cotton field.

That was it for me and the end of an awesome weekend at "High Cotton". The next launch for me will be "Southern Thunder" in Manchester Tennessee. I hope to see you all there!

Sounds like a very successful launch weekend! WTG!

Just curious, how the (*&^ are you able to stuff 40 FEET of surveyors tape in that little tube of your Arua?? I have a hard enough time getting the much shorter stock streamer in the bloody tube! ;)

Sounds like a very successful launch weekend! WTG!

Just curious, how the (*&^ are you able to stuff 40 FEET of surveyors tape in that little tube of your Arua?? I have a hard enough time getting the much shorter stock streamer in the bloody tube! ;)

It's not easy. You have to roll it up tight. I peel off about 40 feet from the roll. Then I fold it in half. This makes it two 20 foot sections. I tie the middle to the shock cord. Roll up each 20 foot section tight. The hardest part is the beginning. On my high altitude flights I add some carpenters chalk in a piece of tissue paper. This gives you a nice visual at deployment.

It's not easy. You have to roll it up tight. I peel off about 40 feet from the roll. Then I fold it in half. This makes it two 20 foot sections. I tie the middle to the shock cord. Roll up each 20 foot section tight. The hardest part is the beginning. On my high altitude flights I add some carpenters chalk in a piece of tissue paper. This gives you a nice visual at deployment.

I will have to give that a go..Last 2 times(the only times it has flown:lol:) it was whoosh and then the 'where'd it go?' routine! Both times when it landed it popped a fin-the same one both times..Wish me luck!:lol:

Back