Tripoli Australia

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrojase

Loves rockets...
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Been here for a few years now and never posted a thread! So here goes...

I attended the Tripoli Australia July launch on the weekend just gone - weather was near perfect with lots of great flights. We only get 5 or 6 opportunities to fly each year due to long fire danger periods which typically run between October and April/May - so no flying. Even then we might loose a launch or two due to bad weather or ground conditions. So when we do launch, we try and make the most of it and I especially enjoy trying to record flights so I can relive those moments.

First clip is a combination of video clips and stills - goes for 38 minutes:

[YOUTUBE]VrV2jyJYGTA[/YOUTUBE]

And this clip is just the stills with some music - goes for about 4 minutes:

[YOUTUBE]ZEiP05rbIpw[/YOUTUBE]

Credit to Pete Lam for all still images used. And I did pinch one off Ashley Hill, so thanks Ash!

I hope you enjoy watching them as much as I enjoyed making them :)

Thanks for the post mate!

I really must make it to the land down under someday.

Do rockets spin in the opposite direction during recovery down there? :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks for the post mate!

I really must make it to the land down under someday.

Do rockets spin in the opposite direction during recovery down there? :smile:

Cheers MaxQ!!! You'd be welcome down here any time :)

*If* recovery is a function of the Coriolis Effect then yes, they spin in the opposite direction :wink:

The "Big" payback!

Jase...you snake eyed rascal!!!!!!

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 3.03.50 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 3.04.33 PM.jpg

Some one sent me these.....your busted & I have plenty of time to plan. [It was a sheila close to you!]

Cost me a case of Bundy, but it was worth it.

Evil lurks in the hearts of men & some show NO MERCY!!!!!!:dark::dark::dark::dark::dark::dark::da rk:

For those wondering...go to 4.56 minutes .

[video=youtube;YgzWm_8hii0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgzWm_8hii0[/video]

Some one sent me these.....your busted & I have plenty of time to plan. [It was a sheila close to you!]

Cost me a case of Bundy, but it was worth it.

JUDAS!!!

:rofl: – A Bundy drinking ‘sheila’ hey, well, that narrows the field somewhat :wink:

It was an opportunity too good to miss – that’s what you get when you bring a K to an M dragrace!

Hilarious moment, topped off a great event.

You’re a good sport CJ looking forward to catching up again, or am I??? :dark: :)

Cheers mate,

Jase.

Last edited:
We had our August launch on Sunday just gone - was a great fun day. We had to cut the launch short for HPR due to increasing low cloud in the afternoon but still managed to get some cool flights completed.

Clip goes for 12 minutes:

[YOUTUBE]JEx0F1aBqw4[/YOUTUBE]

Tripoli is it not in Libya? Capital? In Australia know about Melbourne, Sydney and natural for ACDC:)

Why it named exactly Tripoli, not Cairo or Madagascar? If you ask me should be named Saturn V. I liked your rockets. But I have seen many movies on National Geographic - in your country is full of many poisonous snakes. Are not you afraid to look for the rockets in the grass?

Why it named exactly Tripoli, not Cairo or Madagascar? If you ask me should be named Saturn V. I liked your rockets. But I have seen many movies on National Geographic - in your country is full of many poisonous snakes. Are not you afraid to look for the rockets in the grass?

Ah ok, the reason why it was named Tripoli can be found here: https://www.tripoli.org/History

Yes, we have many extremely dangerous creatures here that will kill you - our women are particularly dangerous if handled 'incorrectly', but I'm guessing that could be a universal trait...

I've been flying rockets for 5 or so years and have yet to see a snake, they tend to avoid loud noises.

Last year I flew up in Queensland, we did see deadly brown snakes on the entrance road to the property, they were as fat as Coke cans... Didn't see any out on the range though... Did see a spider the size of a Coke can trying to get my rocket out of a tree - think it might have been a bird eating spider...

Very nice flights! We are hoping to take our student team to Thunda2 in 2018. Our biggest fear (other than not raising the funds!) is that weather could scrub the launch after flying halfway around the world.

Very nice flights! We are hoping to take our student team to Thunda2 in 2018. Our biggest fear (other than not raising the funds!) is that weather could scrub the launch after flying halfway around the world.

Cheers Dan! I think you guys will get great value for money given the current currency conversion rates - I wish you all the best with the fund raising.

Back