Tri-Cities Rocketeers 3-day Launch Sept 8th-10th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rharshberger

Reaction score
[FONT=&amp] [FONT=&amp]The Tri Cities Rocketeers will be holding our next launch of 2017 on Friday through Sunday, September 8th-10th.. Friday afternoon/evening will be FAR 101, but we will have a 10,000 foot waiver in place limited to L impulse open from 10am-5pm Saturday and Sunday.

We will not have a temperature limit on this launch, as we expect the weather will be good for at least a sizeable portion of the weekend.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Please keep an eye on our website and the mailing lists and our forum for launch updates. No news is good news, which means I will only make a cancellation announcement if poor or hot weather is expected. If the launch is cancelled, the announcement will be made at least 24 hours in advance.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] [FONT=&amp]If you plan to fly an any rocket that might approach the limit of our waiver, we would ask that you provide sim data that will show us that the rocket will not break the waiver. [/FONT] [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] [FONT=&amp]We have implemented a liability waiver policy. All event attendees (flyers and spectators, including children) must now have a signed liability waiver on file.
You can download the waiver here: https://www.tricitiesrocketeers.org/tcr-liability-waiver-form.html

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] [FONT=&amp]Please also note our enhanced safety policies as well. You can read them here: https://www.tricitiesrocketeers.org/tcr-enhanced-safety-measures.html

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][SIZE=+2]Dry camping is allowed at our site[/SIZE] if you would like to come early. Here is an overhead view of our site with camping area marked: https://www.tricitiesrocketeers.org/birds-eye-view-of-the-range.html[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

You can visit the page on our website with our "address" to aid in locating our launch site here: https://www.tricitiesrocketeers.org/launch-site-directions.html

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Sparky motors are allowed.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
If you would like to become a TCR member, the annual cost is only $10.00 and is good for our "fiscal" year from April 1st through March 31st. All proceeds go towards maintaining and improving the equipment necessary to provide a better launch experience.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
Hope to see you at the sod farm![/FONT]

Have fun, Rich. With three launches in Washington that weekend (yours, BMR's and BEMRC's) folks will have lots of choices. I'll be running the latter so won't be over to fly with you or with Tim and company in Dayton.

Enjoy.

Have fun, Rich. With three launches in Washington that weekend (yours, BMR's and BEMRC's) folks will have lots of choices. I'll be running the latter so won't be over to fly with you or with Tim and company in Dayton.

Enjoy.

Hopefully another time then Bernard, it was a mid-season date change for this launch.

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. Things are looking promising for me to have a couple new projects ready for maidens at the launch.

As part of a fund raising activity for our club this year, we are hosting a precision altitude contest for this Saturday.

The target altitude will be the year the Tri-Cities Rocketeers club was formed. The closest altitude to 2011' will win a LOC Weasel rocket kit that comes with parachute and decals (a $52.25 value).

Any rocket, any motor (except "M", "L"s are ok).

Entrance fee is $5 per try, as many tries as you want until 5:00 pm, Saturday only.

Winner will be announced immediately after.

Must present altimeter data to the LCO and rocket must land safely.

We will announce live updates on the closest altitude during the day in case you want to better your attempt. All funds go towards a new HPR rail pad we so it's a worthy cause.

Show us your skill and have some fun competition!

We will also be asking for volunteers to assist with range duties, such as LCO and RSO, we are a small club leadership-wise and on larger/longer launches like this coming weekends 3 day event, help is appreciated.

We will not as of tonight's meeting have a vendor onsite, sorry everyone. The only source for AT reloads in the Tri-Cities area is Adventure's Underground in Richland, WA and they carry Estes BP and Aerotech Hobbyline 24mm and 29mm reloads.

Update:

Looks like Don Johnson of Chehalis Junction Hobbies will be attending the launch and he has some excellent special offers (please see the NW Rocketry Email for specifics or see Don at the launch).

TCR will be hosting a after launch potluck style BBQ on Saturday, the club will provide burgers and hotdogs with fixins and potato salad, we do ask any attending to bring something. A-M last names suggested chips, salad, soda etc , N-Z dessert type items.

Also the waiver open times have been extended to 9am-6pm Saturday and Sunday to allow more HPR flying time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

"We are go for launch this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

After considerable deliberation among the board members, we have decided
to go ahead with our launch.

While there are factors that would make us consider canceling, there are
other factors that have compelled us to continue.

Our launch site is on an irrigated sod farm.* Those of you who have been
to our site know that the fire danger is extremely low, even when
conditions elsewhere are very dry.* We have also been looking at the
forecast which states, that the smoke will be
dispersing by Saturday and a "significant improvement in air quality and
a return to near maximum visibilities."* We think that based on these
factors, we will be good to go.* Now, if the conditions do not improve,
then obviously we will conduct our launch accordingly.* If the
visibility is low, we will enact altitude restrictions, just as if we
had a low cloud deck.* We will adjust our launch pads to make sure that
they are nowhere near any combustible material.* Again, common sense
that we use at every other launch.* The only other real problem is the
health hazard that the smoke can present.* We can't do anything about
that, so it's a personal choice whether you decide to attend or not.*
Again, we think that the conditions will be improving, so hopefully that
won't be a problem either.

I know that there a many people on both sides of this issue, but I hope
that everyone realizes that we have not made this decision without
carefully weighing all factors.

Thanks, and we hope to see you at the sod farm!"

Last edited:
Looks like I am going to have to sit this one out, looks like I will be working this weekend. Hopefully I'll see you guys at the October Launch!

Hopefully Jim Pommert got there in time to get some flying in before dark. We kind of held him up at the Museum of Flight this morning so that John Hochheimer (NAR President) could present him with a NAR President's Award. Jim's been paying forward for about 50 years and well deserves the recognition by the NAR.

Hopefully Jim Pommert got there in time to get some flying in before dark. We kind of held him up at the Museum of Flight this morning so that John Hochheimer (NAR President) could present him with a NAR President's Award. Jim's been paying forward for about 50 years and well deserves the recognition by the NAR.
Jim got there in time to get a few flights in. We are looking forward to two more days of awesome flying, today was clear blue skies and 88°F winds averaging about 6mph.

Just got home and unpacked from the Tri-Cities Rocketeers multi-day launch.

On a personal level, I flew the alphabet A-J, maidened three new rockets (LOC park flyer Sandhawk, Madcow 2.6 BBII, upscale 4" Solar Warrior), flew my first sparky I327DM, got surprisingly close to the target altitude contest of 2,011' with my PSII Nike Smoke on a G64 (2,061'), flew my Estes altimeter for the first time (numerous times), and brought home Estes oop kits Mighty Moe and Sidewinder and several US Rockets high performance kits at super prices. Awesome!

On a club level, Tri-Cities Rocketeers absolutely killed it once again. The core member group kept the show running smoothly and were always available to get a rocket RSO'd, perform LCO duties, help rocketeers with tools and parts, and keep a close watch on fire detection in our dry conditions. They hosted a fantastic barbecue on Saturday night with sides brought in potluck-style by everyone, and the vendors were exceptionally generous in donating a large number of items for the fundraiser raffle prizes. I was once again on historian duties, filming as many launches as I could while juggling my rocket prep needs and getting from my tent's location to a good vantage spot, but I caught a lot of great flights. Despite a bit of a breeze on Saturday and a phantom rocketeer using paper towels as wadding, it was a perfect weekend of flying and a great way to cap off the summer. Thanks to the Tri-Cities Rocketeers for another memorable launch!

Thanks Ryan for attending, looking forward to the video. It was a blast we should have launch statistics up in a couple of days. There were some great flights for sure, and some awesome failures too (not that we like failure, but sometimes there are spectacular ones). Overall we nearly approached the June launch numbers, and zero fires, most of which was due to vigilance and moving the flight line to a bit further out on the grass than normal.

Once again you guys put on a great launch! Always very well run and lots of great people! Also really enjoyed the BBQ pot luck. Always worth the 260 mile drive. I was able to fly everything I could haul F42-J570 and recovered them all. Thanks again to all!
I plan on driving over for the October launch.
Gary Bade

Sorry I missed it, I was working on a new rc rg I wanted to complete for Sheridan this weekend, on Sunday and winning a PPC match on Saturday....just not enough time, I will be flying my titan/dynasoar stack sat and sun if things work out.

Sorry you weren't able to make it Frank, and congrats on winning the match.

Gary, it was a pleasure as always, even with the technical issues we encountered with our launch controllers. You had some great flights.

It was an outstanding launch, and was worth using two vans to get there. Thank you TCR.

Here are 109 of the 214 launches from the weekend, plus an Air Tractor flyby (never gets old).

[video=youtube;20Q1HoG6pxI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Q1HoG6pxI[/video]

Nice work Ryan. You caught the Cowabungas CATO at 22-23 mins, I think I will link the video with the warranty email to AT.

Great video! Especially my flights. Lol. I really appreciate all the time you donate to do these when you could be using it to prep and fly your own.

Thanks again!
Gary

Back