TRF upgraded to XenForo. Questions and Comments here please

Discussion in 'Rocketry Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Angie, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Jul 4, 2018 #281

dhbarr

dhbarr

dhbarr

Amateur Professional

I don't think anyone's trying to invalidate your opinion, they just may have a different viewpoint. There's no forum tenure track AFAICT :-D

timbucktoo likes this.
  2. Jul 4, 2018 #282

Speaknoevil

Speaknoevil

Speaknoevil

Nice to hear from you dhbarr and rharshberger. I'm going to shut up now so as not to get banned. Again my comments were for current forum owners to consider, nothing more.

3. Jul 4, 2018 #283

lakeroadster

lakeroadster

lakeroadster

Lone Wolf... No Club TRF Supporter

Then send them a PM... why air your dirty laundry about 10 years ago... then get pissy if somebody comments?

Curious... What does your comment have to do with the subject of this thread?

timbucktoo likes this.
  4. Jul 4, 2018 #284

Cnorm

Cnorm

Cnorm

I say go for it. Post away and speak your mind. If you end up getting banned, we'll find some way to press on without you.

lakeroadster likes this.
  5. Jul 4, 2018 #285

rharshberger

rharshberger

rharshberger

I hate to see people fighting with someone they do not know, the individual SpeakNoEvil, has IMO PIF many times in the past, my children throughly enjoy the rockets that he has given away multiple times to young rocketeers, and has made some excellent deals (stuff sold at way below what was originally paid for it) to other members of TRF and most likely his local clubs as well.

6. Jul 4, 2018 #286

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

Slipshod Perfectionist TRF Supporter

The theory that the "What did you do today" thread has sucked the air out of the forum is an interesting one. My gut reaction is to disagree, but I'm not sure. Will ponder, but probably not worth getting into an involved discussion of that here.

I think that this forum *software* is overall a big improvement. There are still assorted little niggles to be addressed; hopefully the crew will keep working on them (rate of change has slowed drastically since those first few days).

7. Jul 4, 2018 #287

dhbarr

dhbarr

dhbarr

Amateur Professional

This -is- a thread where telling Management how you feel is probably fitting. Mission accomplished?

8. Jul 4, 2018 #288

rharshberger

rharshberger

rharshberger

I tend to agree that the "What did you do rocketry related today" (close enough on the title) may well be part of the reason the build threads have kind of fallen off. We are not seeing nearly as many detailed build threads these days and most seem to be by a few builders like you neil, lakeroadsters Xwing thread, and a few others. There are many variations on how to build a kit or scratch build a rocket, but its also the techniques that people use to get the job done, and the questions people ask that teach even more.

9. Jul 4, 2018 #289

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Mod

Well, I've read the posts. No reason to even answer those that you don't believe is a truth.
    There are all sorts of threads, and one's opinion is one's opinion.

As to emoji's I hope to get to work on them and maybe get a couple of the others that mod/admin the TRF to get you some fresh ones, as the old ones did not convey over. Thanks for being so patient about it, I know they help convey the emotion and fun of a comment.

timbucktoo likes this.
  10. Jul 4, 2018 #290

Speaknoevil

Speaknoevil

Speaknoevil

Thx! I believe I already posted this, but yes, new forum platform is a big improvement!

Angie likes this.
  11. Jul 4, 2018 #291

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Mod

All is okay Speak. I've had to learn to have a bit thicker skin than I may have had before playing in forums admin.
    You're okay with me.

12. Jul 4, 2018 #292

aerostadt

aerostadt

aerostadt

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

I still miss the little number for each thread showing how many people are viewing the post at a given instant.

There use to be a number on the personal profile showing how many posts a member had made since first becoming a member along with the corresponding number giving the average posts per day over the course of his/her membership.

13. Jul 6, 2018 #293

Marc_G

Marc_G

Marc_G

Is there a way to bring back the member location, as I like to see where people are from for context when reading their posts. Thanks

14. Jul 6, 2018 #294

timbucktoo

timbucktoo

timbucktoo

Moderator Staff Member TRF Supporter Global Mod

Still there, it was just reset with the upgrade. Every user must edit their profile details if they want to show where they are from!

Marc_G likes this.
  15. Jul 6, 2018 #295

Marc_G

Marc_G

Marc_G

Thanks. I will go in and set mine. Hopefully others will too.

16. Jul 12, 2018 #296

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

Angie,

Can we get the member's list broken up by first letter/character? 816 pages to have to sort through when you're looking for someone with a name that starts with "M" or something like that is a tad unrealistic.

Thanks!
    Jim

17. Jul 12, 2018 #297

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

Oh, and I still cannot access TRF on my cell phone (in the US, or in China). A quick message that there's a:

Connection Problem
    Couldn't establish a secure connection.
    OK

Followed by:

Webpage not available
    The webpage at https://rocketryforum.com/
    might be temporarily down or it may have
    moved permanently to a new web address

Suggestions:
    • Make sure you have a data connection
    • Reload this webpage later
    • Check the address you entered
    I've reloaded and reloaded... I can't dump cache or anything using the internet app on my Samsung
    Chrome is 33.0.1750.517 1750517
    OS is Android 4.4.2 GT-N7100 Build/KOT49H

18. Jul 13, 2018 #298

rocketguy101

rocketguy101

rocketguy101

I have a couple questions...
    1) With the old software, if there was an unread post, you could click on the little icon and go to the first unread post, OR you could click on the title to see the first post of the thread. This was handy if you had not been reading a particular thread then after a few days you decided to start reading, you could start at the top rather than page back from the end. Now when there is an unread post, you see the title and a little icon, but both send you to the first unread post. See the pictures for an example. In the first "new post" picture, hovering over the title or the icon send you to this link
    [https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/dog-barf-in-larger-rockets.146949/unread] and this is true for either "New Posts" or on the forum header page. After reading the post the entry changes to simply the title and the link changes to [https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/dog-barf-in-larger-rockets.146949/] (second picture).
    Can you change the links so the thread title takes you to the start of thread and the icon (dot? button?) takes you to the unread post?

2) With the old software there was a "print thread" button then pulled all the posts into a single scrollable format that made it handy to search for text. I realize there is a "search in this thread" option in the upper right, but when I searched for "unread posts" in this very thread to see if somebody else asked the question, I had so many hits I gave up. Can we get this feature back?

Attached Files:

19. Jul 13, 2018 #299

o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1d_dude

Doesn't come around here much anymore

In the old VBulletin software, it was possible to double click on the TRF icon in front of each forum to mark that forum "read".

The icon would be gray if there were no new posts and in full color if there were unread posts. That still works under the new software.

Double clicking the icon allowed the user to selectively filter out certain forums from the New Posts display.

For example, I haven't any interest in Low Power so I would double click the Low Power forum icon to mark it "read" and then call up the New Posts to see all new messages EXCEPT those in Low Power.

There are so many posts in the New Posts on any given day that it's time consuming to sort through them all looking for those in forums of interest to me.

As I draw near a birthday ending in a zero, I recognize the need to spend my time wisely.

Youth is wasted on the young.

20. Jul 13, 2018 #300

woferry

woferry

woferry

Pleasepleaseplease, DON'T do this! :) I really prefer the new forum's behavior that clicking the title takes you right to the latest unread message, I wish the old forum had done that. If there was some way to do that in the old software I certainly never found it in years of using the forum. Personally I have no reason to ever want to go to the start of a thread that I'd already started reading (and if I hadn't read it the first unread post would obviously be the first post), so if the dot did anything it might make more sense for the much smaller target to have the go-to-first-post behavior and the much bigger one have the go-to-first-unread behavior which seems much more useful.

Personally, since that dot is something I never even noticed before the above post and I'd consider that pretty undiscoverable (it's small and just blends in with everything else, looks more like a bullet in a bulleted list and isn't an obvious clickable link until you mouse over it), I could have sworn that the old software when it showed the direct page links under each post title would always show page 1 as well as the last page. The new software doesn't seem to show page 1, only the last page and perhaps a few pages before that. If the page 1 link was always there that would make sense to me as the link to click to go to the start of a thread (go to page 1, start at post 1).