TRF Tips and Techniques Comments Thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Guys,

We are going to use this thread for comments and suggestions against the Tip of Day thread in the Techniques forum. This goal is the maximum value and limited side chatter.

If you have a comment, post it here and add a link to the post you are commenting about.

I'm a bit confused as to how this thread is any different then any of the other threads that are posted in the techniques forum?

What bearing does "of the day" have?

Seems like a gimmick to me. :dontknow: Feel free to explain to me the error of my thoughts.

It should be a locked thread with only Chuck allowed to post. Submission sent to Chuck through PM. ????

I'm a bit confused as to how this thread is any different then any of the other threads that are posted in the techniques forum?

What bearing does "of the day" have?

Seems like a gimmick to me. :dontknow: Feel free to explain to me the error of my thoughts.
I posted a thread about 1-2 weeks ago. The consensus was folks would like a tip of the day thread. I am going to post or report a tip each day. It is to help the newbies and revisit highlights from the past. If you have a suggestion, send me a PM.

When doing internal epoxy fillets, use a syringe with a length of tubing stuck on the end to inject the epoxy where needed. You can easily suck the epoxy out of your mixing cup into the syringe to load it up. I usually clean mine with acetone after I'm done so I can reuse it over and over.
Thank you for your contribution. There will be more on syringes this weekend.

On #7 the containers should be either polypropylene (PP) or high-density polyethylene (HDPE); recycling #2 or #5. Paint won't stick well to them, so they won't get paint-glued to the tube.

When laying down decals on your rocket, use tweezers to fine tune the position of the decal - not a (read my) clumsy finger. The finger has the habit of making the decal stick before it's in the final resting place.

When laying down decals on your rocket, use tweezers to fine tune the position of the decal - not a (read my) clumsy finger. The finger has the habit of making the decal stick before it's in the final resting place.

I will likely add this in the coming days. I need to find a good photo.

Thank you for the suggestion. It will be used today.

Foam Your Nose Cone
I have done this in both low and high power, but if you are doing it with a thin plastic nose cone, I suggest you put it in ice water to absorb the heat.

Just one thought, be careful about the temperature. I'd go for a bigger container of water at room temperature (or tap/hose water, as in your example). Should keep things under control without risk of affecting the process. Too cold and the curing reaction might not run fully, leaving anything from a sticky mess to something that isn't quite what it should be.

Foam Your Nose Cone

Just one thought, be careful about the temperature. I'd go for a bigger container of water at room temperature (or tap/hose water, as in your example). Should keep things under control without risk of affecting the process. Too cold and the curing reaction might not run fully, leaving anything from a sticky mess to something that isn't quite what it should be.
I used a garbage can and it had zero effect.

Note for the CA accelerator TOTD: try and use a reasonably good chem mask if you're using lots of this stuff. The active ingredient(s) can be pretty nasty - and it's not acetone (despite what google says) .

TP

Last edited:
Note for the CA accelerator TOTD: try and use a reasonably good chem mask if you're using lots of this stuff. The active ingredient(s) can be pretty nasty - and it's not acetone (despite what google says) .

TP
Thanks. Does anyone have something for the tips thread?

On #7 the containers should be either polypropylene (PP) or high-density polyethylene (HDPE); recycling #2 or #5. Paint won't stick well to them, so they won't get paint-glued to the tube.
Hey Prof, I checked and all the take out soup containers of the type I used in the pic that I have in my house are polypropylene.

20230217_223106.jpg
However, I've never had an issue of an item being stuck there with paint when using cups or likewise. Have you experienced this? I normally don't spray into the tube and at most perpendicular to the surface.

The container above was useful on 2+ paint jobs with no accumulation at the edge.
20230217_224037.jpg
In fact for my other rocket I happened to grab some brown stuffing paper (sometimes I'll use newspaper) and that didn't stick at all through a few coats.
20230201_144509.jpg
However, I would agree it's better to be safe... just that this wasn't something I've come across.

Have you ever drilled a rail button hole crooked?

An Estes Tube marking guide can also be used as a rail button drill guide to ensure you drill holes straight. The pencil holder is just the right diameter for the common hex shanks. Just use the right length drill bit.

20221221_215936.jpg
If it's just the bt, you can even use finger pressure to drill a hole, otherwise a cordless screwdriver or very small drill is usually better than a large drill.

As always, when making extra holes in your rocket, make sure it's correct before you drill and go slow.

It doesn't apply to our current weather, but when summer rolls around it might.

If you're going to a multi-day launch, throw a couple of water bottles in the freezer the day before. Also put a couple of gallons of water in the fridge. When packing the cooler, put the cold water in, then the frozen bottles and finally finish out with the ice you'd regularly put in. A modestly good cooler will keep the water/drinks etc. cold for 2-3 days and by having the water in it, the drinks stay colder. If you're really crazy, you could add a little rock salt and put more ice. It'll get even colder. Disposing of the water if you use salt should be done in a non-grassy area, though! Also, putting cookies, candy bars, fruit, string cheese etc. in a big ziplock helps it stay out of the moisture, but stays nice and cold.

This worked well for a 4 day event last week in South Florida where we had 85-89 deg days each day.

Sandy.

Measure epoxy on a postal scale. Most epoxy I use is a 50/50 mix. This also helps keep the 2 bottles level/equally used. I mix more than I need to make sure I do not run out, and to help rotate supplies. This 15-minute epoxy is over a year old. The mighty toothpick is one of my favorite mixer and applicator tool! :p

measure_epoxy.jpg

For setting clay nose weight in LP nose cones:
  1. Put the clay in and tamp it down with a dowel pretty well, but don't try to get it perfect.
  2. Place the cone pointy end down in a drinking glass that's as small in diameter as will hold it. I like to use classes that came with shrimp cocktail or chocolate mole in them.
  3. Add boiling water to the glass. The clay will soften enough to flow into the tip and self level.
1676915751641.png
Note that not all plasticine clays are the same, so this will not work in every case. But it sure comes out nice when it works.

1. Put the clay in and tamp it down with a dowel pretty well, but don't try to get it perfect.
  2. Place the cone pointy end down in a drinking glass that's as small in diameter as will hold it. I like to use classes that came with shrimp cocktail or chocolate mole in them.
  3. Add boiling water to the glass. The clay will soften enough to flow into the tip and self level.
View attachment 564526
Note that not all plasticine clays are the same, so this will not work in every case. But it sure comes out nice when it works.

Careful of the temperature. My understanding is boiling water is hot enough to reshape polystyrene plastic.

View attachment 564526

I like to use classes that came with shrimp cocktail or chocolate mole in them.

Is that supposed to be Glasses?

Perhaps I am just a grouch but I am not a fan of the way the tips thread is being written. Specifically, the fact that Chuck is writing and posting each tip. I would much prefer that each post should be as-written by the submitter. I would prefer it even more if it each tip were actually posted by the submitter, so it would show up in their own posting history.

There is nothing wrong with Chuck's writing and I understand that Chuck is giving credit to submitters, but the whole thing still rubs me the wrong way.

For what it's worth.

Perhaps I am just a grouch but I am not a fan of the way the tips thread is being written. Specifically, the fact that Chuck is writing and posting each tip. I would much prefer that each post should be as-written by the submitter. I would prefer it even more if it each tip were actually posted by the submitter, so it would show up in their own posting history.

There is nothing wrong with Chuck's writing and I understand that Chuck is giving credit to submitters, but the whole thing still rubs me the wrong way.

For what it's worth.

I have no issue with that, but I spend all of the first few days weeding out complaints and trash posts. This was the best middle ground.

Back