TRF Summer Build Off: SSC - Spiral Spin Can

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally I did one last flight in the same config as before, but with an 808 camera taped on. I had some trouble figuring out the camera as well as getting the rocket off the pads (seemed there clips were a bit rusty and so I switched pads after two failed ignitions), but it did finally launch off.

The camera is the black band just below the nose cone in this pic:

2016-08-07%2014.12.46.jpg

[video=youtube;kKfxXb1zUrQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKfxXb1zUrQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The rocket rose up beautifully almost a copy of the previous flight (spiral smoke trail and all)...it even went directly overhead again to almost the same spot from what I recalled. My opinion is that it flew much straighter and "nicer" than the plain straight fin. I think it also is less affected by cross winds since those would weathervane the straight fin design more.

Unfortunately this time I had a parawad, but luckily it landed flat and fine...heck, if it can survive a straight down lawndart, a parawad shouldn't be an issue. No damage and still flyable. Unfortunately the video didn't work. Oh well, I'll be sure to get it working for the next time I launch this...surely for the 38mm!

EDIT: The Alt Two reported: 3130kph (blinking) & 294m. The altitude is lower likely due to the drag from the camera. Hopefully the speed measure isn't screwed up for good, but we'll see. So keeping possible motor variances as well as a slightly smaller chute (but thicker lines) in mind, the spin version (sans camera) actually got ~20m more altitude than the straight fin version! Maybe because it flew straighter up?

Last edited:
Just barely caught up to this, congrats on the flights man. The pre-mature take off was hilarious lol.

Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

Congratulations on the successful flights!

I wonder what rpm it was spinning at? It will be great to see 808 cam footage of the spiral spin can in action

Thanks guys!

Also I think the Alt Two had issues with the speed due to the rotational forces...despite the collar being fairly free spinning, I'm sure the main body is also spinning too due to friction (likely more with higher acceleration due to the force downwards against the retainer. Given that, the unit likely couldn't give a good measure of the speed since the unit uses a sensors on three axes and have G limits.

I'll try to finish the 38mm version in time for the next launch with spiral fins, JLCR and a camera. :)

Once serious math gets involved, a lot of heads will be spinning... (mine included).

New name suggestion... Linda Blair.

Q8qj8.gif

tumblr_mt1mpxrnUh1shliigo1_500.gif

Last edited:
Just a quick update that I've been away on vacation (wasn't hot and humid enough for me in NY, so I went to Florida...mid 90's or higher with 90% humidity for good sweaty measure) and unfortunately came back to a boatload of work. :(

I'm also trying to build another rocket for a drag race I'm committed to this weekend, so time is looking very scarce and I'm not sure what I can do in terms of finishing the 38mm spiral rocket can by this weekend, but I'll update y'all if I can get something out. :)

Just a quick update that I've been away on vacation (wasn't hot and humid enough for me in NY, so I went to Florida...mid 90's or higher with 90% humidity for good sweaty measure) and unfortunately came back to a boatload of work. :(

I'm also trying to build another rocket for a drag race I'm committed to this weekend, so time is looking very scarce and I'm not sure what I can do in terms of finishing the 38mm spiral rocket can by this weekend, but I'll update y'all if I can get something out. :)

Enjoy your vacation lad, remember be patient. Dont be like me where sometimes I am not that patient.

Drag race eh? Shoot me up if you want some lightweight carbon tubes ;).

Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

Enjoy your vacation lad, remember be patient. Dont be like me where sometimes I am not that patient.

Drag race eh? Shoot me up if you want some lightweight carbon tubes ;).

Thanks Alex! :)

It's a Demon 98 Drag race...should be good to get near our max waiver, so it should be fun and it's coming along, but it'll take time to make the av bay. No need for CF on this one! :wink:

Thanks Alex! :)

It's a Demon 98 Drag race...should be good to get near our max waiver, so it should be fun and it's coming along, but it'll take time to make the av bay. No need for CF on this one! :wink:

Yeah the avionics bay is the annoying one to put together. Everything else just glues in place.

Sorry folks...I had trouble with getting the bay working on the other project (I guess that is important, right?) and so it took up most of my time and then I had to attend a wedding party Saturday night to boot, so I didn't have time to work on nor launch the 38mm version; however no big deal since the last launch was on 8/29 anyhoo. :)

So thanks to all for following along for sooooo many pages and I'll be continuing this one for sure...stay tuned! :grin:

Sorry folks...I had trouble with getting the bay working on the other project (I guess that is important, right?) and so it took up most of my time and then I had to attend a wedding party Saturday night to boot, so I didn't have time to work on nor launch the 38mm version; however no big deal since the last launch was on 8/29 anyhoo. :)

So thanks to all for following along for sooooo many pages and I'll be continuing this one for sure...stay tuned! :grin:

Ken,

I believe we all are understanding that not always do we have time to work on rockets.

Of course getting the bay to work is important. You want that rocket to come back safely.

You have done some amazing builds here and we are looking forward to more with patience :).

Believe or not... I'm sure that Incongruent is going to start a new revolution with this one.

[video=youtube;BGLGzRXY5Bw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGLGzRXY5Bw[/video]

Back