TRF Summer Build Off: "Jack-in-the-Box"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a canted, tractor motored, telescoping model rocket called Jack-in-the-Box. This is a take off on the tapeworms I have flown before. Two 29mm F-15's are legal (120g) and should provide plenty of punch. The conical hat will be the recovery device so hopefully that will help in getting by the RSO table. The tail will telescope off the pad providing even more lovely stability as the heavy tractor motors go up and the CP gets dragged down as the head leaves the 6' lubed rod and the telescoping tail deploys. Kind of similar to a really messed up Duces Wild, at least that argument might help me get a pad assignment. The telescoped tail should also count as a recovery device. . .Right? Just another freaking, no good mindsim. The CG is up there but where is the stinking CP? Will it work? Flexible, telescoping tails belong on kites, not rockets. . .Right? Motor and fins belong at the bottom of the rocket! 100% Silicone adhesive is for bath tubs, not rockets! Yes, please talk some sense into me!

At least it will be a quick build using a Hobby Lobby foam ball, googly eyes, party hat, stickers and mostly scrap rocket parts.

Could go three 24mm?

Or should it be a foam skull wearing a pickelhaube with vertebrae for Halloween? Maybe that will be the follow on build if Jack-in-the-Box works and is accepted as kid tested, mother approved by the Pad Fuhrer.

View attachment Jack in the Box.pdf

I'd approve that card based on the proven tapeworm design ;) I bet it will recover safely too.

On the halloween one, make the pointy thing on the hat a big, removable metal spike, just to really get the Pad Fuhrer going.

I am shocked, SHOCKED I say that your entry will involve canted tractor motors. :shock:

Anyway, if the real thing comes out half as good as that drawing, this should be great. :cool:

On the halloween one, make the pointy thing on the hat a big, removable metal spike, just to really get the Pad Fuhrer going.

I have a real Model 1915 Pickelhaube with a removable Spike. After the start of the war they found the non detachable ones had a big problem in the trenches.

Jack will most likely end up with a metal tube "launch lug and nose cone shoulder guide" running up the center of the foam ball. Will decide design on the fly during the build.

I am shocked, SHOCKED I say that your entry will involve canted tractor motors. :shock:

Anyway, if the real thing comes out half as good as that drawing, this should be great. :cool:

All this after I told the guys I could reform, only building soundly engineered 4FNC rockets using computer simulation, proven materials and good techniques. Guess I will blame falling off the wagon on the contest. Sketches on napkins and out of control mindsims can only lead to canted tractor motors above the CG, if you can even find the CG on this thing.

Yeah right...ya' gotta be on the wagon before ya' fall off it :d

Wow...leave it to you to raise the bar...and then whack everyone over with it! :)

Love the sketch and funny clown face! Great idea!

I would not worry about the bar on this one. I don't intend to use good technique, fill tube spirals, or even measure carefully, the thumb and foot rulers will do. Hack & slash & eyeball placement will rule. I don't want to spend much more than one day building this thing. Give more weight to those doing it the right way: organized, documented, simulation proven, and executed to the highest engineering standards. That is what will get top grades from the Pad Fuhrer.

Easy peasy, no pain - no pain, and body by Budweiser are my mottoes. If one motor doesn't light it will crash and I will be the one whacked by the Pad Fuhrer! This one will surely be placed under his "Questionable Clusters" and "Not sourced from reliable kit manufacturer" designations. Thus the standard will be high to launch (pre-inspection and numerous other certified checks/requirements). Hopefully the fire danger and winds will remain low. Hopefully I can get the local Tripoli prefect to sign off, even though it is a NAR launch. Tough crowd!

Yeah right...ya' gotta be on the wagon before ya' fall off it :d

As in Rudolf, the Red Nosed Reindeer, I have been a reformed Bumble for almost six months! No motors up front during that time and I shelved the Santa'S Super Sleigh Ride project. (Well, I did launch Smaug last week but that was built last year.) How can I help not slipping back to the Dark Arts when a contest comes along? OK, I am weak, a mindsiming oddroc junkie, and with the first Xacto hack into the foam ball my reformation is kaput!

You have a wonderfully twisted release of MindSim. Unfortunately, the release that I ended up with is much more conventional. I'll just have to keep looking for the right update.

OK here goes the build. First you need a clean and organized work area clear of other projects, clutter and trash. A good solid cutting area and grid matt would be nice.

JIB 1.jpg
Well, I think I fall a bit short of the ideal.

Next, produce a detailed parts list and purchase new parts so everything is ready at the beginning of the build.

JIB 2.jpg
OK. Emptying out the scrap/damaged box, hacking up an old unfinished and unwanted rocket from the club scrap box, going to Hobby Lobby and getting sucked in by hugely discounted plastic kits you think you can use the decals on for later projects, are all not idyllic. Still short of needed parts. Looks like I will have to go to the Danger Zone (Apogee Componets) to get the right tubing.

These downloaded a bit out of order but you can get the idea.

JIB 3.jpg

Drill out the 1/2" rod hole by hand, no drill required, just fingers for nice slow drillng motion.

Jib 11.jpg

Three fingers for aft cant should do.

Jib 10.jpg

Aft cants look like they match via eyeball method.

Jib 9.jpg

One thumb for top cant looks good.

Jib 8.jpg

Mindsim comes in at one thumb at knuckle for top cant.

Jib 7.jpg

Imagine cant angle. Use the Force to see future motor lit, fore tell burn and smoke trail patterns produced from the selected cant angle. No need for fancy spreadsheets determining cant angle. Trust in thrust. Build light, build strong.

Jib 6.jpg

Cut off and sand cone base.

Jib 5.jpg

Test fit everything!

Jib 4.jpg

Drill out cone top to fit 3/8" rod.

Jib 12.jpg

Top cants look like they match via eyeball method.

Last edited:
Now for some HACK & SLASH building!

Jib 13.jpg
Cut out grid with Xacto

Jib 14.jpg
Yank with old broken set of needle nose pliers
Jib 15.jpg
Pull out the teeth like the evil dentist from Marathon Man.

Jib 16.jpg
All the bits pulled, but still more hacking!

Jib 17.jpg
First test fit.

Jib 18.jpg
Hack

Jib 20.jpg
Slash.

Jib 21.jpg
Fit.

Jib 22.jpg
Hack, slash and fit again! Repeat!

Jib 23.jpg
Sand

Oh I remember the days when I would build motor mounts with centering rings. The rockets had fins, parachutes, positive motor retention and launch lugs or buttons. The nose cones had shoulders that fit into a body tube and everything was perfectly straight and the directions were crystal clear. Well I guess it is back to scratchin'; a hackin' and a slashin', a rumblin' and a bumbelin', he could go all the way!

Jib 25.jpgJib 26.jpgJib 27.jpg

The fit and angle is almost there, I can feel it. Time to bring out thy rod and thy staff.

Do you think the old farts might like the Over the Hill logo on the hat? Or should I paint it?

OK here goes the build. First you need a clean and organized work area clear of other projects, clutter and trash. A good solid cutting area and grid matt would be nice.

View attachment 292774

OhMySwirls2.jpg

LOL! You've won my vote for most amusing summer build-off! I showed the pic to my daughter and she laughed hysterically. However I abstained from showing my wife since I think that would start her on complaining about how my rocket area is beginning to look like that. :wink:

Of note is that I was considering making a line of rockets at one point and in my instructions under "supplies needed" I added "1’x1’ Clear space on workbench". :)

Yes, this wins "Most Amusing Build Thread", to be sure. I expected nothing less.

What really got me though was that that picture showed a bunch of normal rockets with fins and rear-mounted motors and a bet a few of them even had nose weight. Somehow I expected Daddyisabar to have a supervillain's lair full of skeletons, tapeworms, dragons, and god knows what else.

Secretly, I believe Daddyisabar yearns to build 3FNC rockets all day.

The build is coming along well, love the traffic cone hat!

Well Daddy never fails to amaze at the launch site. I suspect this one will be no different. I hope Jacks' nose does not create too much offset drag.

IMG_20160602_233041_577.jpgIMG_20160602_233053_932.jpgIMG_20160602_233108_355.jpg

View attachment 292774
Well, I think I fall a bit short of the ideal.

Next, produce a detailed parts list and purchase new parts so everything is ready at the beginning of the build.

View attachment 292775
OK. Emptying out the scrap/damaged box, hacking up an old unfinished and unwanted rocket from the club scrap box, going to Hobby Lobby and getting sucked in by hugely discounted plastic kits you think you can use the decals on for later projects, are all not idyllic. Still short of needed parts. Looks like I will have to go to the Danger Zone (Apogee Componets) to get the right tubing.

Well I applaud your work area. I am just as bad or good depending how you look at it.

Yes, this wins "Most Amusing Build Thread", to be sure. I expected nothing less.

What really got me though was that that picture showed a bunch of normal rockets with fins and rear-mounted motors and a bet a few of them even had nose weight. Somehow I expected Daddyisabar to have a supervillain's lair full of skeletons, tapeworms, dragons, and god knows what else.

Secretly, I believe Daddyisabar yearns to build 3FNC rockets all day.

You must build and love many 3-4FNC rockets before catching the last train to Scratchville. Before I got level five, terminal velocity scratcher's syndrome, I did build some 4FNC that I still fly on windy days. Five stage Rack Rockets are still 4FNC. . .Right?

Here is the other part of the lair you were talking about:

Jib 30.jpg

And there's this.........

View attachment 292856

Jack looks like he has a hot date to the movies! One cool DUDE! And makes enough money to pay for theater popcorn! Finally must have moved out of his parent's basement. Yippee! Jack is out of the box and doing well after all that raw meat litigation!:)

I think being a rocket man will make him even more popular with the ladies.:cool:

Back