TRF Spring Contest 2010 - Future Manned Spaceflight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
trfspringcontest1.jpg

TRF Spring Contest!

With the cancellation of NASA's Constellation program, the next round of vehicles for manned spaceflight is expected to come from the private sector - eg, you! In this contest we want to see how you picture the future of manned spaceflight. We're looking for anything, from your design for the Shuttle replacement using today's technology right up to warp drive powered starships which won't fly for thousands of years. The key word is future, so models of any past or present launch vehicles won't be accepted.
Total power levels between Micromaxx and J motors are allowed for this contest, and we're looking for creativity more than anything so there's no excuse not to have a go!

semroclogo.jpg
seizetheskycover.jpg
pemtechlogo.jpg
The Prizes:

1) $25 Gift Certificate to Semroc.

2) $25 Gift Certificate to Pem-Tech.

3) A copy of Mario Perdue's book Seize The Sky.

The Rules:

1) Contest starts April 1, 2010 and final information must be posted by midnight May 31, 2010 US Central Time.
2) Rocket can fly on a single, staged or clustered motor configuration, with total impulse in the Micromaxx - J range.
3) A build thread with at least 4 pictures must be posted in the TRF Contest Forum. But don't worry if you've posted one elsewhere, let one of the moderators know and we'll move it for you.
4) The build thread must include a flight report with a safe flight and recovery. Multiple flight attempts are perfectly acceptable; there is no penalty for unsuccessful flight attempts -- only the final, safe, attempt counts.
5) The contest will be judged based on creativity and adherence to the contest rules.
6) Preliminary judging will be performed by Luke Strawalker and WiK, to select 5 finalists. Forum members will then be able to vote on the 5 finalists, to determine the final placement.
7) Three prizes will be awarded, one each to the top three entries. The first place entry (most votes) picks first, followed by second place, with third place receiving the remaining prize.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this have to be a fresh build, or can old rockets that fit the criteria count?

Does this have to be a fresh build, or can old rockets that fit the criteria count?

If you have not completed a build threat on TRF, then it's fine.

If you have a build thread that's in progress (but not complete) that you'd like to use, let us know and we'll move it in here.

-Kevin

If you have not completed a build threat on TRF, then it's fine.

If you have a build thread that's in progress (but not complete) that you'd like to use, let us know and we'll move it in here.

-Kevin

thanks for the reply, it's an old rocket that i built, but never did a build thread on TRF

So its a conceptual thing... What we IMAGINE manned spaceflight boosters and spacecraft will look like in the future. Right?

So its a conceptual thing... What we IMAGINE manned spaceflight boosters and spacecraft will look like in the future. Right?

You can do designs that have been proposed to (or even accepted by) NASA, or you can do a conceptual design. The choice is yours.

A Saturn V or Vostok, cool as they are, won't cut it.

-Kevin

So we are talking near future? So something we'd like to see in the next 50 years without a fantastic technology leap.

Or is a far future sci-fi stuff far game too?

So we are talking near future? So something we'd like to see in the next 50 years without a fantastic technology leap.

Or is a far future sci-fi stuff far game too?

Yes and yes.

If it's not something that exists as hardware today, it's fair game.

-Kevin

I've just updated the original post, so hopefully things will be a bit clearer now. Or at least look a bit snazzier. :cyclops:

Cheers,
Phil

Dang it!
The coolest rocket competition of all time and I can't participate!
:bangbang:

I may just enter something on general principles even if I can't compete.
:neener:

Dang it!

This is the perfect contest for a rocket I'm working on, but the first launch that I can launch it at is in June. :(

Oh well, better luck next time, and good luck to everybody entering.

Dang it!

Actually, Layne, you can enter.

No conflict of interest, at all -- you're not a judge, and the prizes are being purchased (to show support for our advertisers), so you can participate, if you'd like.

BTW, for the record for everyone else, my goal is that this be the first contest of several. Prizes will be purchased from TRF advertisers. I just happened to pick these three as the first three.

-Kevin

Dang it!

Let's hope I win second prize!!! :D

No conflict of interest, at all -- you're not a judge, and the prizes are being purchased (to show support for our advertisers), so you can participate, if you'd like.

BTW, for the record for everyone else, my goal is that this be the first contest of several. Prizes will be purchased from TRF advertisers. I just happened to pick these three as the first three.

-Kevin

WOOT!
:headbang:

Dang it!

This is the perfect contest for a rocket I'm working on, but the first launch that I can launch it at is in June. :(

Oh well, better luck next time, and good luck to everybody entering.

I am in the same boat. I have a great design in the works, but we only get to launch at XPRS.

Don't be quite so literal. I'm sure what is ment is if it's flying into Space now or the recent past it does not qualify. What you build your rocket with is up to you, the saftey code and the RSO if any:clap:

Don't be quite so literal. I'm sure what is ment is if it's flying into Space now or the recent past it does not qualify. What you build your rocket with is up to you, the saftey code and the RSO if any:clap:

But i was serious about the chair I wanted to build a design around a doll tied to a chair..... So is this valid?

Wait one sec I found a technical loophole, The Aries 1-X is off limit but the Aries-1 is fair game :D

I'm not sure if I'll through my hat in the ring or not at this point, but I have a couple ideas floating about my head so:

Are we limited to one entry?

I'm not sure if I'll through my hat in the ring or not at this point, but I have a couple ideas floating about my head so:

Are we limited to one entry?

Nope, you can submit multiple entries, if you'd like.

-Kevin

-Kevin

You just made my babay very happy! And he'll be spending even more time in the workshop! Thanks :( Aw heck, who am I kidding, he spends every free moment out there already. :) And I don't mind at all. :p :D

Thanks Kevin!!

Trudy
PemTech's Visual Art Department and currently sweeper and decorator of shop

Yet another service we offer, ma'am....

BTW, tell Layne he's expected to share the workshop and let you build an entry, too, if you're so inclined!

Of course, we know the truth -- he's afraid you'll beat him.... :D

-Kevin

Yet another service we offer, ma'am....

BTW, tell Layne he's expected to share the workshop and let you build an entry, too, if you're so inclined!

Of course, we know the truth -- he's afraid you'll beat him.... :D

-Kevin

Hey now!
Don't you be stirren' up no troubles....
:duck:

Back