TRF Members Map

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
The last time I went to the "Tour de Deuce" website and saw the "Schedule" map I got an idea....... Maybe here on TRF (or someone else's website) we could have a similar map....... When you clicked on a state, it would give you a list of the TRF members that lived in that state....... Kind of a Member lookup guide......

Silverleaf

Reaction score
hmm..wait a sec....looks through dark, cobwebbed filled closet, throws out rocket parts, computers..nono thats not it..AHHA !

Hands RocketManiac the BRAVO BANNER!!

Excellent idea there RM..8)

cydermaster

Reaction score
11 out of 10 for this suggestion, Randy.

Something like this for the UK would kick a£$e.

jflis

Reaction score
that's a *great* idea!

if interested, I could send you a copy of the graphic we used and the image-map allowing you to click on the states. that would cover the US, then we'd have to do a global one.

jim

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
Originally posted by jflis
that's a *great* idea!

if interested, I could send you a copy of the graphic we used and the image-map allowing you to click on the states. that would cover the US, then we'd have to do a global one.

jim
"Where" should we host this map?

I personally have learned enough about websites to be dangerous....... How much space would this take?

MarkABrown

Reaction score
I moved this thread to the "Forum" forum because I think this is a great idea. About 2 years ago, Milo and I were talking about making a search criteria on the "Search" page that would allow us to search by state. I like this idea better. However, I don't know how difficult it would be to implement with the given forum software. This is more a question for Milo.

jflis

Reaction score
It would be up to the TRF admin to decide where/ how to host this map. It wouldn't take up much room (probably not much more than this very thread, to be honest)...

The map of the US is only 78 KB

The image map that allows you to click on a particular state would only take up a couple of KB and the link would bring you to a small (1KB) file that would list the members in that state.

Since this is a db-driven (generated) site, all of this information is in the database and I would imagine it could be configured so that when you clicked on a state it would parse a search based on state and then display the results....

just rambling thoughts...

jim
PS: let me know if you *are* interested in the image-map and I'll email you the html along with the graphic image.

jim

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
Originally posted by jflis
PS: let me know if you *are* interested in the image-map and I'll email you the html along with the graphic image.
Jim, that would be cool....... I might take a look at putting it on my website......... even though it won't be the same (don't have all all the data TRF has).........

Thanks

astrowolf67

Reaction score
A search can be done to find members who live in a particular state, "IF", they've entered it in their location field when they joined. I think the state should be a required field on the sign up page. I realize a lot of people don't like to give out their location, but the city could be left out. After all, this is a rocketry forum, not psyco central :)

A clickable map sounds like a great idea!

Mike

Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea but I think it ought to be more of an 'opt-in' system just like the location field is at the moment, you don't have to put anything if you don't want. Also it might be quite hard to work out what state people come from as they'd have to write it exactly.

One way I feel would be better would be if there was an extra option on the profile with a drop down menu. Users could select which state they want to be listed under on the map. You could also list other countries, UK, New Zealand plus many others. That way people could put somthing more specific in their location field, should they wish, and still appear correctly on the map.

Just my two cents

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
Originally posted by Mike
you don't have to put anything if you don't want.
Mike, I agreee with you on this point........ This would be totally up to the each member if "they" wanted to be listed........ I think it would be neat if everyone were listed, but I know there are lots of people that don't want that kind of info posted on a website........

I am hoping Milo will jump in here and give his opinion as to how hard it would be....... if it is too hard, it's not worth it........

DavRedf

Reaction score
Astrowolf

After all, this is a rocketry forum, not psyco central

We spend vast amounts of time and money, stand in hot/cold/ freezing/wet/windy fields, chase after bits of card/balsa/plastic. and call it fun.
I rest my case :rolleyes:

David
ps I got a new suit that buttons up the back and crosses your arms. :D

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
To give you an idea of how difficult it would be: click on the "members" button in the upper right. Then do "advance search". Key in "NC" in the "location" field and hit enter. Then "back" and key in "North Carolina" and hit enter. You will notice 2 separate lists. You will also CTulanko appears in the "NC" list only because he lives in Cincinati, Ohio. Being that the "location" field is free form you are liable to get anything. Thus the difficulty of using the TRF database to gather the membership location data.

But don't let this stop you. It is a great idea. This will just have to be someone's project - maintaining the list.

Just my .02.

astrowolf67

Reaction score
"We spend vast amounts of time and money, stand in hot/cold/ freezing/wet/windy fields, chase after bits of card/balsa/plastic. and call it fun.
I rest my case"

"David
ps I got a new suit that buttons up the back and crosses your arms."

ROTFLMAO!!!
I guess we do look a little psyco from others point of views :)

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
Originally posted by PGerringer
But don't let this stop you. It is a great idea. This will just have to be someone's project - maintaining the list.
If the data file (map graphics) was in place and all there was to do, was to maintain a list......... I would volunteer.......

jflis

Reaction score
Concerning the problems with the db in that the state is an open field that can be listed anyway the user wants, it is still a fairly easy matter to use a filter to find the correct state.

For example, finding Cincinati when searching for NC could be avoided by bounding the search to exclude those occurances embeded in a longer string. A bit of extra code, but not insurmountable.

As for those who don't provide this informaiton, that is fine. They just don't show up in the listing.

Can registration be configured so that when you get to the STATE field, it's a pull down so that if you *do* want to post it, everyones is posted the same?

jim

Milo

TRF BoD Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
I am hoping Milo will jump in here and give his opinion as to how hard it would be....... if it is too hard, it's not worth it........
And I was hoping Phil would jump in here first... ah... I see that he has and summed it up quite nicely.

Sorry for the delay in responding I've been following the thread but haven't really had a chance to think about it much, Mrs. Milo has me tearing down wallpaper so she can redecorate. :)

I'm not saying it wouldn't be impossible (as nothing is) but it would take a considerable amount of work given that the software is not written to extract this kind of information. You'd have to turn location into a drop down list and then you'd have to decide what would go in the list. You'd have to list all the states and then all the countries of the world (or at least some of them) and then maybe even some of the provinces of Canada, etc... oh the madness... :)

You'd also have to provide a checkbox to elect to be visible in the map. Then you'd have to make the map of the world which I think someone has already volunteered the US... like I said lots of work.

I'd have to get some help from Mr. Phil as my family and work load keeps me quite busy.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
Last night Jim emailed me the graphic and HTML files...... I spent several hours making the 50 states files and started work on the links (making the map work with each click)........ I am making good progress.........

At this time I don't know where this map will be hosted, but at the few least I will put it on my website.........

Now, I am asking you help....... I need to find a world map..... I don't want to leave out the overseas TRF members as EVERYONE here is important.......... Jim, thinks he can get one, but I just want to make sure....... so.... if you have or have seen a world map that could be used for this project please post the info here.......

I will start another thread soon, asking the members who want to be listed on this map.......

Justy

Reaction score
You could have the person enter in their latitude & longitude (if you don't have a GPS unit, chances are someone you know does). That avoids having to create a list of every place a rocketeer might live.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
It is now after 6:00pm (EDT) and I have spent the whole day working on the Membership Map........ It is up on my website.....

https://rocketmanic66.tripod.com/

Every state should work, but only South Carolina has anything except the name of the state....... You will have to use you browser's back button to get out of itas I still have LOTS to work on........

Check it out and let me know what you think.....

A world map is the next project, so our overseas members can be found......