The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you know if you are coming in via the TheRocketryForum App, it is being updated as it would have been deleted if not updated.

There are some issues, but they are being addressed today. It may be a day or two before the app settles down to how it should be configured. Please bear with us.

If you have questions or comments, please use this thread to post on.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Only the android version updated at this time. ioS was not changed.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Just letting you know the techs are working on other aspects of the app. The ads may come and go while they are doing this. Please give us that day or so I mentioned.

Thanks

Danh

Reaction score
iOS app has an update now.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The IOS app update looks pretty good. Thanks!

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think it would be fair to say I am a heavy user of the forum iOS app *and* the web front end. Here are my comments on the new version. I don't know if this is the proper place to put them, but it seems like a start. Needless to say, all this stuff is IMHO.

Overall, it is fine. In general I don't see much that is really different functionally; the UI layout is different but overall it still works the same. I would actually be curious to know if there's some fancy new functionality hiding in there that I don't know about.

Anyway, here are the things that I would propose could use fixing, from least to most important.

1) The app icon is way, way, WAY out of date. On my home screen it looks like a vestige of another century. It could use a freshening up in a more modern (i.e., flatter) style, just so it won't look so out of place.

2) The new UI is very very blue, with some indications that are IMHO way too subtle. Particularly, the "unread" indicators, which are blue bars against the edge of the screen, and the highlighting of the currently selected tab. That scrolling tab bar up top is very non-standard for iOS, and not really a very good design IMHO, but I could accept it better if the indicators were clearer.
File Sep 11, 10 57 11 AM.jpg
(click for larger)

And finally, one biggie:
3) The new app uploads pictures to the tapatalk CDN server, which seems to be completely separate from the TRF website. Now, if you post pictures from the mobile app, you will not see those in the "manage attachments" window on the website. That really, *really* sucks. I previously used the mobile app for almost all my photo uploads from my phone, because it was super easy. If I was composing a longer or more complex post that needed a lot of typing, I'd head over to the web app and do it there, pulling my newly uploaded attachments from the "manage attachments" dialog. That option is now removed. In fact, I'm unlikely to use the photo upload from the mobile app at all, because I don't want my attachments going to a mystery 3rd party image host where I have basically no control over them. And so my request here would be to go back to uploading images to the TRF attachments server.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Thanks for this information. I've passed your comments on to the tech team that did the update. Especially the images upload comment. Thanks.

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'll add one more comment.

Since the apps were updated, there are a zillion "Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum" signatures in folks' postings. This is because the new app inserts this signature by default, and most users never bother to go change it (or even realize that they can).

It is nothing but litter. On a forum, no one cares how a message was posted; it is little more than an advertisement for the app. This could be fixed in an instant by simply disabling signatures by default; if folks really want to insert them they still can, although I'd personally be in favor of dropping the capability altogether; the forum already has superior signature functionality built-in. And so now there are *two* signatures at the bottom of these posts. Blech.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
I'll add one more comment.

Since the apps were updated, there are a zillion "Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum" signatures in folks' postings. This is because the new app inserts this signature by default, and most users never bother to go change it (or even realize that they can).

It is nothing but litter. On a forum, no one cares how a message was posted; it is little more than an advertisement for the app. This could be fixed in an instant by simply disabling signatures by default; if folks really want to insert them they still can, although I'd personally be in favor of dropping the capability altogether; the forum already has superior signature functionality built-in. And so now there are *two* signatures at the bottom of these posts. Blech.
Might be worth a sticky describing how to disable it both in TRF App and Tapatalk.

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It would indeed, although it's hard to know who would ever see it and act on it. If the forum admins agree that those signatures are not desired (ya never know), then changing the default in the app is the best way to go.

Lowpuller

Reaction score
I am also an iOS user and I completely agree with Neil's comments. I would like to add another, in landscape view part of the post are cut off just barely but it is bothersome enough to force me to portrait view which then requires more back and forth to read the next thread.

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I note that attachments are back to working the old (correct) way again. Thanks!

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Thanks for the donation and good to know the app is doing much better.

woferry

Reaction score
Personally, I preferred the previous version (ignoring any in-betweens that might have been buggy, I mean the app as it was a year ago). I much preferred the swipe-to-mark-read than the new long-press method, and it seems nobody considered that long-press does two entirely different things, in the unread threads list if the thread shows an image preview, the long-press doesn't mark the thread as read, instead it displays the image full-screen. I couldn't find a way to do the mark-unread for a thread with a preview image, so I wound up turning off the preview images (which honestly seemed like a rather useless feature, the images it chose to preview seemed to be random so for the threads I saw it was generally not a good picture to show relative to the thread discussion). So this new app will certainly take some getting used to, and has slowed me down from the old swipe method (since the long-press duration is longer than it used to take me to swipe and tap the mark-read button). Oh, well, I guess that's what's called progress. :)

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Personally, I preferred the previous version (ignoring any in-betweens that might have been buggy, I mean the app as it was a year ago). I much preferred the swipe-to-mark-read than the new long-press method, and it seems nobody considered that long-press does two entirely different things, in the unread threads list if the thread shows an image preview, the long-press doesn't mark the thread as read, instead it displays the image full-screen. I couldn't find a way to do the mark-unread for a thread with a preview image, so I wound up turning off the preview images (which honestly seemed like a rather useless feature, the images it chose to preview seemed to be random so for the threads I saw it was generally not a good picture to show relative to the thread discussion). So this new app will certainly take some getting used to, and has slowed me down from the old swipe method (since the long-press duration is longer than it used to take me to swipe and tap the mark-read button). Oh, well, I guess that's what's called progress. :)
android or ioS? I need to know so I can poke around and see what is what. Thanks for giving the feedback, while it may not help now, it may result in something in the next tweaking.