Quantcast

TRF Favicon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Zippy

Reaction score
For the longest time the icon for TRF was displayed in my IE Favorites list without fault. That was most impressive since allmost all favicons disapear within a day or two to be replaced by the generic "e". Now it's gone and I'm wondering why. Could be just my computer I suppose. I know it's a trivial matter but I got used to seeing it in my favorites list. I've never seen a favicon last as long as TRF's did and I'm just wondering if any of you web masters out there can explain this phenomenon?

Zippy

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
That is a good question. I have several that disappear and reappear as the mood hits them. Wish I had an answer though.

cydermaster

Reaction score
A swift Google turned up this page, a favicon FAQ.

On the page it has this:
Help! My favicons disappear off my favorites list!

The favicon file resides in your temporary internet file and when you clear that .... it's gone. You can use FavOrg to restore then to your favorites list.

Why don't I see the icon in the address bar all the time.

This is an erratic behavior from IE that began shortly after IE 5.5 came out. After you bookmark a site, you may try refreshing the page, or even go to your homepage, then back to refresh the favicon. F5 may also refresh the icon.
"Erractic Behaviour from IE" is the most interesting phrase, and no doubt the cause of favicons dematerialising at random. Thats what I've always blamed.

As for the length of time the TRF favicon stays on your favorites list - I find it hangs around more than most. Possibly got something to do with the regularity I visit this site! :D

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Mine eats all the favicons at each reboot. Thanks for the info cyder.

cydermaster

Reaction score
I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!!

I made the above post during my lunchhour - TRF favicon in place. I go off to do some other work, for a couple of hours, come back to my PC, decide to have a sly worktime look at TRF - and the TRF favicon has gone!! :eek:

Maybe theres some routine, built into Windoze, which looks for the user posting stuff about favicons, and makes them then dematerialize/materialize at random? :)

mtmind

Reaction score
Erratic Behavior from IE, Surprise Surprise! That's why I run netscape, those favicons are there once you visit the page and stay until you delete the bookmark. As with everything else from microsoft since win98, I don't use IE unless I have to. Not to mention I "dislike" bill gates.

Peace :cool:

Mike