Tres Wild!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Another sneak peek. The folks going to Whitakers will see her maiden flight next week :D

Well, you KNEW it had to happen!

The name is only tentative at this point. I'm also toying with "3's Company", "Tri-Star", "Rama" (2 points to anyone who can tell me why that name fits this rocket... :D ), and "Trinity"

Not sure if it would include markings and, if it did, whether those markings would be Peel-n-stick or waterslide (waterslide would add a *lot* of cost)

here is a profile pic

Jim,

I'm sure this has been said before, but I think your kits are the coolest ever made. So far I have the Corona, DW, Overdrive, Tumbleweed, and the cougar 660. Maybe someday I will be able to fly them:( . I would definitely buy one of those and one of the Farscape (or whatever it's called).

I'm looking forward to seeing you at the NSL. I convinced my Dad to stay until Monday to see the Dueces Wild launch.:D

Nick DeBrita
Rocketman248

This new one looks awsome - can't wait to see some launch piccies; and more to the point - can't wait to get one! :)

Dan

jflis.... that is so cool. Kind of reminds me of a marriage between a Mars Snooper and a three engine cluster - with, of course, the twist of the angled engines.

It is just super. You going to have any advance kits for this at Whitakers? If so.... reserve one in my name.

Jim,
Sort of a cros between...a Deuces Wild, Mars Snooper and a Laser X.

Hummmmm, let me see... Rama, rama, RAMA... "Rondevous with Rama" by Arthur C. Clark.

Rama's length was three times her diameter?...ahhhh...maybe not...too obscure.

Rama was some kinda Hindu god...did it have three arms or somethin'?

I gotta think on it some more.

I really want those 2 extra points!

sandman

Looks cool Jim - I look forward to seeing it next weekend. Soon you'll have a whole poker hand of canted motor rockets. Well not quite yet :rolleyes:

Sandman is on the right track. Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. Everything in the Rama spacecraft revolved around the number 3. There were some kind of probe things that came to check out the humans that boarded Rama and they had 3 legs. They walked by kinda pivoting on one leg.

BTW, I love the design. Count me in for one.

Originally posted by MarkABrown
Sandman is on the right track. Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. Everything in the Rama spacecraft revolved around the number 3. There were some kind of probe things that came to check out the humans that boarded Rama and they had 3 legs. They walked by kinda pivoting on one leg.

BTW, I love the design. Count me in for one.

I'll give Mark the 2 points... LOL

The very last line in "Rendevous with Rama" is...

"Rama does everything in threes."

by the way, I won't have any of these kits at Whitakers (not till fall, I would say), but will have the proto and you folks will get to see her maiden flight.

fall? Fall? FALL? Oh my goodness....

The joy of seeing a prototype....

the agony of waiting for the kit to be available.

FALL? How in the world can you do that to us, jflis?

HEY!!!

What the ****!?...don't I even get the assist?

I read the book 15 years ago!!!

I just thought the connection was way too obscure...

Wait a minut...obscure!!!:confused: Jim Flis:confused: ...it should have "clicked"

I should get at least one point!

sandman

ok, a point for the assist! :)

hey, the faster I sell rockets, the faster I can bring new ones to market... *S*

We have an announcement coming up beginning of may (The Rhino bulk pack) and hopefully 2 more at NSL

i'll keep everyone posted

Jim, This design is just too cool!! What better way to out-do the Deuce than to make it a triple... combined with classic styling lines?!? How about the Tristar? The Tertius? The Threepeat?

I love it - I want one.
Keep the Tres Wild name. You can then expand on it with the Quattros Wild, Cincos Wild.....

Hey Jim,

If I told you I read all the Rama books...
and all of the Space Odessey books...
and played the RAMA computer game...

do I get any points? :D

Wow! Jim you ought to move this one to the top of the priority list, it's a winner. My DW continues to get a lot of attention at launches out here. At least three people yesterday took down your web address. This one is even better! It's got a real aggressive look to it, and I like the 'two-stage' styling.

Originally posted by rstaff3
BTW, I saw the prototype at the TRF meet, and it looks great!

you really do have to see it in person to appreciate it, eh? :) I wish I had the chance to fly it. Perhaps at NSL next month!

jim

Originally posted by Dean
Wow! Jim you ought to move this one to the top of the priority list, it's a winner. My DW continues to get a lot of attention at launches out here. At least three people yesterday took down your web address. This one is even better! It's got a real aggressive look to it, and I like the 'two-stage' styling.

That's part of what I like about it too, and I figure it won't be too long before someone uses a micro-altimeter to make this actually fly two-stagges... *S*

Yea, this one won't be too far off on production, that's for sure!

jim

Well, she flies straight and true and really kicks on 3 C6 motors!

Here is her Maiden Flight. I had a parachute tear, but good thing as even with a bad chute, she drifted along the tree line!

That has to be one of the best launch photos I have ever seen - this Tres kicks some serious batty!!

I'll definatly have one. This world domination plan of yours is coming long well Jim - you'll have Bill Gates quaking in his boots soon! ;)

That is real sweet!! I must have two! (One to build n fly..... and one to save sell on EBAy in 20 years... I will be rich... comfortably well off.... socially secure....)

she *is* sweet, isn't she?

got a lot of attention at the launch too.

needless to say, this will seriously attract attention at any launch. It is becoming one of my favorite rockets already.

Originally posted by jflis
It is becoming one of my favorite rockets already.

Just like the Deuce?

May I puhleeze beta-test this one????

Jason

Just too cool for words....

I predict this design will get up-scaled in pretty short order.

The kids circulating at our launches beg me to fly the Duece everytime I go out. They will *flip out* when they see this one!

A rocket like this is the best advertising you could ask for. Along with the Duece this creates a 'Signature Line' that everyone will associate with Fliskits, and that will always get attention at launches. I can appreciate, Jim, how much you have got on your plate at the moment, but I would find a way to get this one into the line-up asap, were I you. The success of the Duece cries out for a sequel!

Jim,
Would it be possible to angle the motors in such a way that the rocket twisted slowly as it rose, making the exhaust trails wrap around each other?

Back