Tres Ordered

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by rbeckey
Anybody beat that?
31st of September I won mine - so technically I've had mine on pre-order since then - but I'll let you take the crown, 'cos I've not had to pay for my Tres! :p

Its a cluster Christmas! I ordered a Deuce and Tres. Hopefully I can have them built in time for the polar bear launch (if we go).

These will be my first clusters.

Its a cluster Christmas! I ordered a Deuce and Tres. Hopefully I can have them built in time for the polar bear launch (if we go).

I have been a B.A.R. since 97. and have flown upwards of some nice K motors, as well as Hybrids, and of all things, these will be my 1st clusters as well. I have ordered (2) each of the Deuces Wild, Richter Recker, and the just released Tres. This next flying season will be a Blackpowder "motor eater" season:D :D :D

Johnnie Paul

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Its a cluster Christmas!
Originally posted by Johnnierkt
This next flying season will be a Blackpowder "motor eater" season:D :D :D
The Brand E & Q motor divisions are going to be kept busy!

:D

If I get a low enough production number, It's gonna be display only. In that case, I'm gonna be forkin' over another 20 bucks to Jim.

woo hoo!!! thanks for the the post, rbeckey. 1729 PDT. I also ordered the 3 saucer kits & a "long overdue" just for fun.

Looks like a lot of people beat me!

Not fair...I had company!

sandman

My email confirm from PayPaL says 4:07PM, but my MSN account recorded the email time as 2:21PM, and I'm central time zone. I don't know about MSN, but if Rbecky got in by 5:02 Eastern, then I missed him by 5 minutes...anyways, Jim says I'm in, and thats what counts.

Johnnie Paul

p.s. My wife got back from shopping all day to find me at the internet and had the gaul to tell me I should have went with her cause she found all the good deals...whats better than this??

Blue,

Not much, as one of the Tres is for her "Elvis" rocket that she wants me to make for her...a surprize for her:cool:

Johnnie

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
Blue,

Not much, as one of the Tres is for her "Elvis" rocket that she wants me to make for her...a surprize for her:cool:

Johnnie

Good man! That's a great plan. If she gives you heat you can always come back and say "See honey - I had to stay home just for your gift!"

Yep, Tres and Long Overdue ordered for me.

All I have to say is, let the Tres Revolution begin! Upscales, clusters, staging, onboard video...it's gonna be madness!

This model looks to call out for staging...

(3) C6's staging to a D12, or maybe the longburn E9!!! Streamer recovery of course. If I feel freaky, I'll buy a 3rd, and find one of those mini timers, and do a serious under the hood "Street Sleeper" mod...wooo hold on, too much on my Winter building plate already.

Johnnie Paul

I still say if someone plans on staging this beast (and i KNOW it's gonna happen), the **best** possible staging option is this...

Three C6-5's in the booster...

...Three A3-4T's in the sustainer... :D :D :D

oh and I've already heard of an upscale Tres project in the works...

hey! post #2400! :D

Originally posted by jflis
oh and I've already heard of an upscale Tres project in the works...

If only I had those stinkin' patterns......I shoulda grabbed them when I had the chance.... :mad:

Just kidding, Jim. Please don't hurt me.... :whimper:

Anyways, my upscale project is going to be up to 24mm motors, at least for now.

Jason

I am already thinking how to finish this beast. Maybe cut that "3" out of trim monocote. Which paint? So many decisions!

Jim- I was wondering if the Tres proto has ever flown with 2 or even 1 motor(s). I'm not saying I want to do this, just wondering what would happen in the event of a misfire.

Thanks,

Blue

I just gave up and ordered two right off the bat....

Blue_Ninja_150 wrote: " If I get a low enough production number, It's gonna be display only. In that case, I'm gonna be forkin' over another 20 bucks to Jim. "

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Jim- I was wondering if the Tres proto has ever flown with 2 or even 1 motor(s). I'm not saying I want to do this, just wondering what would happen in the event of a misfire.

Thanks,

Blue

This came (comes?) up with the Deuce's Wild! many times. In the case of the Tres, I will arrange a specific test at CMASS to test this very thing. I don't suspect she will perform as well as the Deuce's Wild! does, but I would expect she would be stable on two motors. One motor I would suspect she'd be unstable and underpowered. She *is* a large rocket for a single 18mm.

as for "has it ever flown with 2 or even 1 motor(s)...", well no because to date i'm like 20 for 20 on the Tres. I can't remember the last time I had a misfire on a cluster rocket. Back in the 70's i'd say...

I had a Custom Landviper (3x 18mm cluster) recently go up on 1 C6-7. It was stable, but very underpowered. The 7 also left too long a delay for the 50 ft altitude. Came back tail first and hard. I suspect the Tres would act similarly.

Originally posted by jflis

as for "has it ever flown with 2 or even 1 motor(s)...", well no because to date i'm like 20 for 20 on the Tres. I can't remember the last time I had a misfire on a cluster rocket. Back in the 70's i'd say...

Uh oh! Jim, hurry...go find yourself a piece of wood! This is the kinda talk that just begs for trouble!

I think one C6 might lift it to a low 100-150ft. It's the recovery I'd be worried about. Being that a 3-motor choice for this bird will result in long delays, if only one ignites I do believe you'd find the ground before the ejection charge.

well, that's been taken into account (delay times) to some extent. Most 3 motor cluster birds would call out C6-7 and B6-6 motors. The Tres calls out C6-5 and B6-4.

I think you will find these are better choices in general (good deploy right at apogee) and it would also help in the event of a mis-fire. But I agree. Even with a 5 second delay, on a single motor she's liable to be on the ground when the chute comes out...

as for knocking on wood... ...well i've never been a superstitious person so... :p

heck my favorite number is 13, I own a black cat and i often walk under ladders just to see the reaction it gets LOL

The concern I would have is the three canted motors... if only one ignites... there is a lot of weight of the other two motors, and the rest of the rocket to deal with... Cool Rocket though.

When Aerotech starts making D13's again... guess what I am doing ;)

Oh, and I just added another Deuce to my orde. But this is not for me... It will be a birthday present for a friend in Uzbekistan :eek:. I wonder if she'll be able to get some motors for it? Chez maybe... but I seriously doubt there are any stores in that part of the world that stock Estes... (I have seen no Russian in the Estes instructions... Only English and French. Hmm) ;)

One little, two little, three little motors...

What if indeed, but if you do the best you can, your model should not fail to ignite less than 2 motors when the button is pushed. What would be the probability of 2 out of three motors not lighting?
A strong 12v system, clean leads on that system, clean and good working "clip whip," igniters with un-damaged filaments, and a small sacrifice to the Rocket Gods...your cluster of "QuEstes" motors should not fail you.

It will be a birthday present for a friend in Uzbekistan
:eek: :eek:

Wow, is this person a PenPAl?...and a Deuce? I would hope this lucky person could get some motors.

Johnnie Paul

Well, I never use clipwhips unless I have to, they can cause more problems then they solve. I used Estes igniters, dipped in Magnelite. That way I garuntee that all three motors go :). If there is no space to twist teads together, I extend the leads with extra wire.

Yes, she is a penpal. We have been writing to each other for several months now :). We talk about all kinds of things :). She finds rockets fastinating. She never seen such a thing before she saw my website.

She wanted to see the article I wrote, so I am sending her a copy of the magazine... and I thought a Deuce would go along nicely with it ;).

Back