Tres... Easy!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueNinja

Reaction score
I posted a while back that I had recieved the Tres, but that thread kinda died out. Anyways, I (re)started building the Tres tonite, ane I'm suprised at how easy the instructions are to follow. Nice work Jim!

2 main fins are on, MMT is glues in, strakes are coming up within the hour, and fillets coming up in the next couple of days. Sorry, I don't have the camera so no pics.

very kewl :) Keep us posted even if you *don't* have a camera. Feedback is critical and we love hearing about your builds and launches!
:)

I didn't take any pictures with the fins on, but I did take these. Mine is in the final painting stages now. The instructions on all the Fliskits are easy to follow.....Larry

This one of the motor mount in place with fillets

And this one from the bottom. Hopefully I can finish painting in the next day or so.....Larry

Good pics!

Looks like it won't be ready for kloudburst, i don't want to mess this one up. Heck, it's #21 so I'm not even sure if I wanna fly it.

Anyways got one of the strakes on last night and filleted with thin FNF, going to try to sand that down and apply some straight Elmers.

I'm in the process of building a Tres as well. Very nice kit. I've got the MM in and some Elmers Fill and Sand and sand and sand to make a nice smooth joint.

Anyway, on to the question!

Main fins are next and I thought perhaps after I sanded them to match and fit... I could glue the strake to the main fin (carefully, on a flat surface, etc) and then attach it in one unit. I'm concerned about getting the strake in the exact same plane as the main fin. Any concerns concerning my concern?

N

wingarcher, That is the way I built both of mine as well. For me, it's the best way to construct extended fins like those found on the Tres (Overdrive too)

What I do is place the fins on wax paper, then I place a straight egde (metal ruler is best) along the root edge to make sure that the whole root is flat. Then I apply the glue and use a book to hold it flat while drying.

For extra strength, you can even use this opportunity to laminate the entire compound fin with a layer of paper/card stock on both sides, trimming with a razor knife.

good luck and let us know how it goes!

jim

I was able to finish the paint on mine. I like the original paint scheme so that's how I painted it. I didn't want Gloss Black, nor did I want a real flat black, so I sprayed it with gloss Black then while it was still wet I sprayed over it with dull coat. Made a nice semi or satin finish. I like It:D

I have to put the shock cord in it yet, and I'm still debating whether to make a baffle for it.......Larry

One more closer up. Real nice rocket when finished. Good luck to the rest of you with your TRES...

I see the wind turned it so the launch rod shows:mad: Oh well, sorry to invade your thread Blue_Ninja_150 hope you don't mind.....Larry

oh, that is SO sweet. I am in the process of finishing one in the yellow/black and can't wait myself :D

Originally posted by jflis
oh, that is SO sweet. I am in the process of finishing one in the yellow/black and can't wait myself :D

Jim,

You actually have time to build rockets yourself? I figured you'd be busy kitting 20 hours a day with the other 4 for eating, sleeping, and other unmentionables!

WW

That stock Tres paint scheme IS very nice!! Good job!!!.....I guess Jim did NOT think very much of my DER RED MAX TRES!!!!:( :( :( ;)

Originally posted by billEblurzz
That stock Tres paint scheme IS very nice!! Good job!!!.....I guess Jim did NOT think very much of my DER RED MAX TRES!!!!:( :( :( ;)

OOOWWWW!

Bill, I hadn't even *seen* that thread! I've been so busy that I have only been reading the threads of particular interest and there's been so much about Der Red Max, I just figured is was another clone thread and never bothered to open it...

I have since replied in that thread :)

jim

The Tres models I've seen painted all really look nice. Pictures sometime don't do justice, and most look even better when seen in person. Now to decide about the ejection baffle. I'm not sure about using one with the three engine setup. Any ideas?

Larry

I've thought about baffles on this design myself. The only real problem with baffles in clusters is 3 times the gunk. Another concern with *this* cluster is, with the motor tube canted, it may be a little tougher shaking the gunk back out.

As for the *look* of the model, I was interested in the fact that, at NARCON, the UNpainted Tres attracted more attention than the *painted* Tres. It was really weird. Someone would look at the painted one (and I did a *nice* job on it) and say "hhmmm, nice", then they would see the unpainted one and say "oh man, I *gotta* get this!" then buy one...

Back