Tres #97 arrived

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by sandman
I'm thinking silver

How about white overall, with some red or blue 'airline' stripes?

VERY nice design, BTW. Truly inspiring to see someone put some style into a design.

Qstn 1: Are the main fins spaced 120-deg apart? I doubt you will get much scorching on the aft fairing, but if the fins are close to the exhausts, they could get a little discolored. Perhaps cover part of the fins with aluminized (protective) tape?

Qstn 2: Is the big one the yacht (and the little one would then be a dinghy?), or is the little one the yacht (and the big one is a ??????)?

My wife came back from Meijer's automotive department and picked out the color she wanted.

It will need some...stripes or something...don't know quite yet.

But the basic color looks just how I pictured it!

Gott think about the next step then some kinda decals...and OHH! MAN that auto paint with clear over it, comes out UNBELIEVABLE!

sandman

Can't wait to see it all finished,i had a vespa scooter that color emmm 43yrs ago!:)

Sandman,
Very cool! I never think of things like that rear cone. Nice looking bird!

Nobody noticed the front cone???

That was hand carved.

sandman

Sandman, I wish you guys would cut it out! You make anything else look so mediocre!:D I knew from your kits you had an eye for detail, and quality, you sure show it here. Very nice kitbash. Each part compliments the whole thing. I really like the Admiral's yacht!

Originally posted by Martin Vrstal
Way COOL Sand.....any thoughts on making this a new Roachwerks kit?

Well, it technically is still a FlisKits Tres and a FlisKits design (modified a tad). Jim, ya gotta patent those motor mounts! LOL! As for the Captain's Yacht (attachment thingy), perhaps maybe it could be sold as an add-on to be added to whatever rocket. In terms of legal issues I'm sure sandman may be able to get away with calling it something else and giving it a different name, but in terms of ethical issues I don't think sandman ever would. The little attachment rocket might be cool though. Why not just buy the Tres and copy sandman's concept? Or heck, develop your own! That'd be cool!

I had decided to call it the TRES CHIC!

As for a kit...maybe the Admiral's Yacht. The one on the Tres...doesn't separate. It's actually glued on pretty good!

Actually no TRES parts were harmed in the construction of this model.

sandman

hwy sandman - I just have to chime in here
absolutely great work! you have a terrific eye for design.

Very nice rocket Sandman!

Love the fin design and detail you put into this.

maybe you should start designing and selling your own line of kits ;)

I'd buy one like this.

Don't get the wrong idea, guys, Just because I get an idea does not mean it's going to be a kit.

Sometimes I just want to make something for ME!

I swear sometimes you guys get...greedy!...more kits...more kits!LOL!

It all started 'cause I didn't like all the "dead space" behind the Tres.

Then it kinda got a mind of it's own.

I still need to think on the decals a bit.

sandman

I thought I'd post an update on this since it flew at NARAM.

MAN! did it fly sweet!

The silver tailcone as a backdrop really set of the engine exhaust!

Unfortunately both jim and Astronboy got some blurry pick at takeoff. I think jim has 'em on his site.

Anyway...as far as the tailcone idea...couldn't have worked better.

This is an "untouched" pic of the tail after launch. No scortching nothing...nice and clean!

Here is a shot with the decals...not a very good pic but you get the idea.

Decals were cobbled from USS Atlantis set i ot on Ebay that weren't very good.

yea, that thing was *sweet* :)

One problem that I've been having with pictures is that I forget to set the shutter speed for launch pictures and I've been getting blurry pix.... gotta remember to change settings between shots...

jim

Back