Tree Recovery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfaBrewer

Reaction score
The last two flights at the DARS launch yesterday ended with the rockets at the top of some trees. One of them happened to be my upscaled Mudwasp with a 29/40-120 case. I've read plenty of threads on tree recoveries and knew the weight and rope technique. I had a back-up plan, which was to send my nephew up the tree. Really, my nephew was the primary plan, but he was delayed this morning, so I started with the rope and weight.

This wasn't going too well. Throwing 4oz stuffed inside a tennis ball straight up over a shock cord 50ish feet in the air is harder than it sounds. After several attempts, I managed to get the ball high enough in the tree. It turns out I hadn't gotten over the shock cord.

WP_000223.jpg

Luckily my nephew showed up before I managed to hurt my shoulder. He was up the tree and working on freeing my rocket within a couple of minutes.

WP_000227.jpg Look closely, he's in there.

A quick half hour later and he had both my rocket and the other one back. Now I just need to buy him a bunch of bananas.

Congratulations. Any recovery of a rocket from a tree demands a celebration of some sort. Now go party! Oh yes, buy your nephew those bananas, because he saved your bacon...er, rockets.

Here's a must have product every rocketeer should have. Just spray a little of this on your chute and you're good to go.

Tree Away.jpg

Last edited:
Do they have a can to spray away ponds, ditches, and gators?

I need that. The only annoying part about the field I launch in is the guy who owns it hunts dove in the windless days. So I have to launch in a smaller field which nose blow recovery from 300 feet sticks it in the trees in 5 mile an hour winds.

I don't think it's gotten that far yet. Trees are magnetic to rockets and this stuff works like the opposite side of a magnet. It'll avoid the tree.

We have trees here also, but sometime if it misses the tree and hits the swamp, you have added difficulty of gators and cotton mouths. I will take a gator over a cotton mouth any day.

We have trees here also, but sometime if it misses the tree and hits the swamp, you have added difficulty of gators and cotton mouths. I will take a gator over a cotton mouth any day.

I'll have to see about the swamp and gator repellent. At least there's a cure for that ominous tree.

Latest posts

Back