Traveling with High Power Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My son and are are going to be flying our High Power LVL 1 models very soon. I am driving the 940 miles, so its easy for me to get my stuff downrange. My son is flying in however......So I was wondering.......
Have any of you had to figure out how to get a 4" Diameter 34" tall cardboard & plywood V2 model rocket through an airport. In ones luggage ? or in an overhead bin ?......
let alone past the concerned looks you will get from security. ??

Any info would be appreciated. :facepalm: :shock:

3in. punisher.

Properly boxed, meaning surviving the guys loading planes, it can easily go as luggage.
Done it a few times, sometimes free. Sometimes way cheaper than UPS.All depends on how big and how far.
Actually once my rocket fit in a suitcase when dis-assembled. [the free time]
I carried on clothes and put rocket stuff in big, old style suitcase.

There will not be an issue because it's a "model rocket" when asked! People create their own issues, most of the time.

Now carrying on a tracker with a pistol grip handle.......will get you stopped at EVERY inspection. The look very suspicious on X-ray. After the first time I learned to remove the handle & the problem ceased.
I always carry a rocket magazine of some type with me when traveling by plane. Several times just handing that to security solved the issue, better than me trying to explain that I was meeting a bunch of friends in the middle of nowhere to launch rockets. Cause the next Q is always "Why?" LOL

Motor cases in larger size will usually get your luggage opened.....they look like pipe bombs on X-ray. So my 54mm 6xl case became a rolled up poster/blue print protector. Residue from BP or AP is not an issue. The sniffers are looking for components BEFORE the burn. Not the residue after...totally different. I asked about these things.

Hope this helps.

A long time ago (way before 9/11), a few of us went to Eldorado dry lake to fly in Nevada from San Diego. It could have been Alex Boyce (the usual suspect) or maybe Jim Flagg who rented the seat next to him for a big ass rocket (at the time) for the flight over on PSA. We gave Scott (not the one from blacksky) our motors and rockets and range boxes, etc. to haul in his pickup. We all laughed at the range head at the price to get a rocket on the airplane as a passenger. Things have sure changed!!

My son and are are going to be flying our High Power LVL 1 models very soon. I am driving the 940 miles, so its easy for me to get my stuff downrange. My son is flying in however......So I was wondering.......
Have any of you had to figure out how to get a 4" Diameter 34" tall cardboard & plywood V2 model rocket through an airport. In ones luggage ? or in an overhead bin ?......
let alone past the concerned looks you will get from security. ??

Any info would be appreciated. :facepalm: :shock:

I've flown twice now with rockets. I just get a cardboard box with bubble wrap, pack everything thoughtfully and you should have no problem. I had the rocket as a checked bag and I carried on the avbay. My friend brought his NC on-board. Never been messed with or given troubling looks. Good luck.

You've actually had a "built" model packed in a cardboard box..... make it unscathed through baggage handling ??

That is what I thought would surely kill it..... I may have my son try that.

You've actually had a "built" model packed in a cardboard box..... make it unscathed through baggage handling ??

I've done this two times now to the US and once to Queensland from Western Australia. It's quite easy and as Jim mentioned you just put it down as a model rocket. About the only time I even got a sideways glance was when I flew into LAX from Australia for Balls 22 on the morning of September 11.

TSA - "What's in the box?"
Me - "A model rocket."
TSA - "DID YOU SAY A ROCKET?!?"
Me - "Yes"
TSA - "Please step into this extra screening line sir."

Make sure you don't fly with AP, BP, igniters, ematches, or LiPos. Anything else should be bueno.

Yes; twice. The last time was a 4" design carbon, aluminum, and carbon components. I wrap everything in bubble wrap.... a lot of bubble wrap.

I second the thought of boxing and shipping it. You can get insurance against damage that way.

Wow I realized I never closed this out........ Thank you All for your responses and help. My sons V2 Model was carefully packed in his luggage and survived the trip in perfect shape. Unfortunately ....The cert flight didn't go to well as the lack of a fully deployed chute made finding the model; in a word, difficult. It was finally recovered in the 6 foot grass at BONG Recreation area, after a about a three day search. He was back at base by the time My Wife & I found it. My brother works for a great place, and made a custom cardboard box to ship it back to My son. Thank you all !!! I love this forum !

The recovery failure is a common failure of L-1 cert. Find a good mentor an experienced flyer at the launch site before flight and the cert will go better next time.

Even ask one of the experienced flyers to watch you pack your recovery gear. You can get some good corrections and fine-tuning that way. Don't be afraid to ask. Everyone wants you to succeed!

Back