Traveling Rocket thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need info for the next recipient @shawn_rocket

Who is next? Is there a list of names for this go around. Or if you already flew it your on the list already.
Let's get it to @bobbyg23 , if he is still participating.

@Tobor was unable to fly so we will circle back to him.

@Tractionengines is in line for 2.0

@smstachwick needs it a week or two prior to July 31

Those four, along with myself and @DeepOvertone are the Hosts who haven't flown 2.0. We both fly with TRA-LA and our launch isn't until October or November, unless we secure individual fields at our respective locations.

@teepot
We are using the same list as before with the exceptions of some "negative contacts" and drop-outs.

Also, looking at the Google sheet, several Hosts haven't input their info. Looks like:
@teepot
@n3tjm
@Danomite45
@Sandy H. , who appears to not have a page created yet...my fault.

If you nice Hosts can get your flight data to either me or @shawn_rocket so we could get it input and get everything back in order, that would be great. You may have posted it in the thread but it obviously fell through the cracks.

I will try to wade through the thread tonight and get everything available updated; and get my notes to Shawn.

Strictly speaking, I will have opportunities to fly it throughout the calendar year if I haven’t gotten it by July 31. There is a DART launch in August and then two or three launches monthly from September onward. I could also fly it with Tripoli San Diego, although their calendar for next season is not yet available and the first launch that typically goes forward is October.

Let's get it to @bobbyg23 , if he is still participating.

@Tobor was unable to fly so we will circle back to him.

@Tractionengines is in line for 2.0

@smstachwick needs it a week or two prior to July 31

Those four, along with myself and @DeepOvertone are the Hosts who haven't flown 2.0. We both fly with TRA-LA and our launch isn't until October or November, unless we secure individual fields at our respective locations.

@teepot
We are using the same list as before with the exceptions of some "negative contacts" and drop-outs.

Also, looking at the Google sheet, several Hosts haven't input their info. Looks like:
@teepot
@n3tjm
@Danomite45
@Sandy H. , who appears to not have a page created yet...my fault.

If you nice Hosts can get your flight data to either me or @shawn_rocket so we could get it input and get everything back in order, that would be great. You may have posted it in the thread but it obviously fell through the cracks.

I will try to wade through the thread tonight and get everything available updated; and get my notes to Shawn.
I guess I'm next.

Strictly speaking, I will have opportunities to fly it throughout the calendar year if I haven’t gotten it by July 31. There is a DART launch in August and then two or three launches monthly from September onward. I could also fly it with Tripoli San Diego, although their calendar for next season is not yet available and the first launch that typically goes forward is October.
Gotcha.
Who should I pm?
I started on conversation with you, Wally and Shawn

If I have it in time, I will try for June 14th so it will be 1 year to the day since I flew the first one.

I checked the google sheet again today and I didn't see a tab to update. Either I am more dense than Tungsten or something else needs to happen before I update it. I didn't do the download correctly, but Wally bailed me out and was able to get a download and post it to the Flight Sketch website before he flew his last round, so at least the data exists.

Thanks again for letting me play along. I think I will look at getting a Flight Sketch Mini when they become easily available again. Very easy to use and cool data. So much has changed since my first perfectflight!

(@shawn_rocket too, as i know Mike is very busy and you're running point now).

Sandy.

My flying season is starting up again soon. Although I don’t expect to get my crack at the Wanderer until July 31 or later, I still think this would be a good time for me to start shopping around for motors.

What would you guys recommend for a low, safe flight under 1000 ft and easy recovery? I’m thinking C11-3, D12, or AeroTech D22W?

Wanderer is ready for its next destination.
and it’s here!

AEB6C944-FA60-41D4-B6CA-A7257ED8478C.jpeg
Future recipients be aware: you get more than just the rocket. There’s a whole bunch of personal memorabilia and other goodies that come with it, including a logbook, and it looks like the package has been almost as many places as the rocket itself. Brotherhood in a box.

The instructions to get a picture of the box before unpacking got shifted around, so I had to enlist the help of my girlfriend to Tetris it back together to get a reference photo. But better now than at the post office next month as I’m trying to ship it off.

The airframe has accumulated quite a bit of dirt and some of the signatures have worn. @boatgeek ’s signature in particular is heavily worn. With the guidance of the builder @rdrown and the blessing of others here, I’d like to make an attempt at cleaning it up, restoring the signatures, and having the signatures given a gloss coat. No promises that it’ll turn out, but my girlfriend is very skilled in finishing her rockets and I trust her to do the job right. If we get the go-ahead, we’ll try to get this thing looking fresher and preserve its history for future recipients.

Last edited:
I am fine with you restoring my signature or leaving it until I can fly it again. Either way is fine. Could you do me one favor though? In another thread the topic came up of how tight you can pack the thin mill chutes. Could you fold the orange and blue chute for a 24mm diameter tube and report back how long the bundle would be with no wadding or dog barf?

Thanks!

I am fine with you restoring my signature or leaving it until I can fly it again. Either way is fine. Could you do me one favor though? In another thread the topic came up of how tight you can pack the thin mill chutes. Could you fold the orange and blue chute for a 24mm diameter tube and report back how long the bundle would be with no wadding or dog barf?

Thanks!
Sure thing. I’ll have to see what I can find lying around, and possibly make a trip to the local hobby shop for tube, but I’ll get it done.

Sure thing. I’ll have to see what I can find lying around, and possibly make a trip to the local hobby shop for tube, but I’ll get it done.
Don’t go buying new tube on my account (unless you were looking for an excuse! 😀). An estimate based on what would fit in the MMT is just fine.

Dang... She's looking good!

@smstachwick
When the project was started I had asked all the Hosts put in the box something that they had some connection to, or some connection to their state. So it gathering memorabilia as it wanders is awesome. Is the 3d printed rocket keychain still in there? Just curious. I had wanted some sort of mascot to accompany the rocket but never got anything figured out.

I put in the pirate flag because I am from Louisiana which it is rich in pirate history; my Alma Mater mascot is a pirate, same school my daughter attends.

Glad it is still wandering. Good job folks.

Back