Traveling Rocket thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I entered my flight data in the shared Google sheet, but only the date field populated to the main page.

Hello folks!

The wayward parachute showed up in the mail this week from @boatgeek so I added it back in the box. But honestly, the navy blue and orange one that boatgeek sewed worked fantastic - I would recommend that everyone use that one.

New batteries for the FlightSketch Mini showed up (stores in my area didn't stock that size so I ordered a couple). With a new battery the FlightSketch Mini op checks perfectly! I performed a hand-held suction test and transferred the data via BlueTooth to my phone with no problems.

So one day shy of a month, Wanderer 2.0 is ready to go in the mail up to N3TJM in Pennsylvania. I apologize to everyone for hanging it in a tree and taking so long to recover it. I'm incredibly grateful that the branch it was snagged on came down in the storm and my son and I were able to recover the rocket and altimeter with no harm done. I don't want to mail it off on a bad note, so maybe on my way to the Post Office I'll stop off and make one more flight... I'M KIDDING! :)

Thank you again to everyone for running this thread, building the rockets, contributing the materials, making your flights, and mailing it on to the next person. The kids and I enjoyed following the thread and looking forward to our turn. And now we'll keep following along here and looking forward to our next turn if all goes well and it makes it back around again. As @MikeyDSlagle said, it really does fly exceptionally well on a D. ;)

Culprit

Right now my flying field is coated with ice. It is melting. So hopefully in a week or two I will be able get my two flights in. I talked to the High School principal to see if he would be interested in participating in the launch :D.

Right now my flying field is coated with ice. It is melting. So hopefully in a week or two I will be able get my two flights in. I talked to the High School principal to see if he would be interested in participating in the launch :D.

Gotcha...
Hopefully it thaws soon so it get back to Wandering.

As an addendum to the list...
@tsmith1315 is next. I forgot him in the latest roll-up.
Then up to Alaska and California.

@n3tjm
Sir what's the latest. It's been sitting for three weeks; about time to get it moving again. It is the Wanderer and not the Squatter, after all. 😁
We can always route it back to you after the melt.

@n3tjm
Sir what's the latest. It's been sitting for three weeks; about time to get it moving again. It is the Wanderer and not the Squatter, after all. 😁
We can always route it back to you after the melt.
I just knew you going message me today. LOL. The Wanderer 2.0 Is READY TO FLY! loaded with an D15-4T. Only thing I need to do is tighten the closures and add the ejection charge (I never store a loaded motor with the closures tightened).
D15 Wanderer 2.jpg

Last week I was sick all week. I was going do it today after work, but my wife decided to start a project that she didn't know how to finish so I had to help her finish it before it got dark. Thursday looks like is the next best day weather wise here. Don't worry, I plan to get this launched and sent to the next person soon :).

I just knew you going message me today. LOL. The Wanderer 2.0 Is READY TO FLY! loaded with an D15-4T. Only thing I need to do is tighten the closures and add the ejection charge (I never store a loaded motor with the closures tightened).
View attachment 505745

Last week I was sick all week. I was going do it today after work, but my wife decided to start a project that she didn't know how to finish so I had to help her finish it before it got dark. Thursday looks like is the next best day weather wise here. Don't worry, I plan to get this launched and sent to the next person soon :).
LOL
Good deal.

PA IS DONE :D

Finally a day and time came where the weather was OK to fly and I had time to fly. It was just above freezing. Sun was out. Calm to brief gusts of wind, and the wind was blowing the correct direction. Motor of choice was the before-mentioned Aerotech D15T motor with the delay trimmed to 5 seconds.

Wanderer 2 on Pad.jpg

Now my wife was still asleep and I wanted to fly this before the wind picks up to much, so I attempted to record the flight and launch the rocket at the same time. The first attempt was with an AeroTech igniter, and as I figured might happen, the igniter popped instead of igniting, so the second attempt was with my own igniter. By then my fingers were getting numb so it was getting even harder to try to film and launch at the same time, so I missed the liftoff but I still think the video still gives a good profile of the flight.

Landing was perfect and only a short walk. The wind dragged it a few feet from where it originally landed, but thankfully I did not have to walk to far the really steep hill.
Wanderer 2 Landed.jpg

Here is the data collected from the altimeter.
Alt Vel.png
Accell.png
Other Data.png

I was just checking the thread to see where we are on the list. I was thinking about taking the Wanderer on a trip to the Top of the World (Barrow) in a few weeks. Weather permitting of course!

@n3tjm Great flight, great report. Awesome.
@tsmith1315 is correct, it is headed to him next. He has started a conversation with the two of us.
@Danomite45 you are on deck. If it doesn't get lazy and loaf about in GA for too long it should be able to accompany you to the Top of the World....which sounds like a place I may deserve a beer mug or coffee mug from....just saying. 😁

The Wanderer 2 is on its way to GA.

The Wanderer landed in south GA today and is resting comfortably here after a quick ride from PA.

This weather this upcoming weekend looks like a crap shoot. At this point, it's predicted to rain all week, then clear up Saturday afternoon. Fingers crossed for a good Sunday, and hoping the fields aren't too muddy to walk through. Of course, yesterday was a picture perfect day, 81º:

IMG_20220306_180000437.jpg

@Danomite45, we want to get the Wanderer to the Top of the World, is there a time frame for that?

I”ll need it before April 21st to make the Barrow launch window. That’s a hard deadline.
If it is received by April 1st, I can launch it at the yearly Alaska Northstars Rocket Club Launch held on Lake Louise. Lake Louise is the largest lake in Alaska accessible by road. It’s quite the event usually with a 100,000 foot waiver. It’s quite the show. I’d be able to max out the engine at that launch! The best thing about the club launch, aside from all the eyeballs, is the landing in all the soft snow.
Thanks again for the opportunity to be part of The Wander.
Daniel

Back