Traveling Rocket thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Such atrocities are often overlooked when robbing the rich or fighting authority is portrayed.

Many stereotypical pirates of old were previously privateers operating under the blessing of royal government. When the royals no longer needed them, their lucrative livelihood became illegal.
Immoral or not, sympathizing with someone who has been used/wronged/duped by wealthy authority is a common storybook theme.
Perhaps it began as a Robin Hood-like romance of getting even, in a time when there was little hope of moving upward in social class, and has simply endured through the ages.

Good point, regardless of rationale.

Also, Disney.

I've never understood the romantic illusions that surround gangs of murdering thieves at sea. Today they use speedboats and assault rifles (or bigger stuff if they can get it). A couple of hundred years ago their ships and weapons were those of the day. The "rosy haze of time" is never rosier than when looking back pirates in the age of sail.

Regardless of why or comprehension of why, they were and still are romanticized, especially here in Louisiana. The Age of Sail pirates, not the ones today. Jean Lafitte helped fight the British in the War of 1812 here in Louisiana. In Baton Rouge is a US Destroyer named USS KIDD , that officially flies (flew at least) the Jolly Roger along with the US Flag. I'm proud of our pirate heritage and having a Pirate as a mascot, our High School girls softball just won the schools 14th State Championship BTW. I don't know if that is a lot or not, LOL, I am no sports fan. My brother flew a Jolly Roger on his M113 when he was in Iraq, not that that means a whole lot I guess.

BTW, the USS KIDD was built in New York and William Kidd haled from New York.... 😁 Just an FYI.

I just want to remind everyone about the Google sheet. Please remember to put in your data. Some of you didn't give me an address for access to the sheet but I can input the data if you send it my way.

I guess really...Wally I'm looking at you lol.

Hey guys,
Quick update before I fly this bird.
I have not been able to connect my Pixel 3 XL to the FlightSketch Mini. I tried for over a half hour to no avail. Rebooted phone, cleared it's cache, etc... Nothing worked... :(

Still going to fly this today. Maybe I can find a friendly face and ask them to connect their phone and arm the Mini for launch.

Hey guys,
Quick update before I fly this bird.
I have not been able to connect my Pixel 3 XL to the FlightSketch Mini. I tried for over a half hour to no avail. Rebooted phone, cleared it's cache, etc... Nothing worked... :(

Still going to fly this today. Maybe I can find a friendly face and ask them to connect their phone and arm the Mini for launch.
I connected a Pixel 3 (non XL) to a new flight sketch mini just today. It was the first time it has been powered on tho.

......Have you enabled location services?
That did the trick. Thx 👍

I always leave Location Services disabled. Most apps will let you know they require that service in order to function.

Anyhoot, the Wanderer stayed grounded yesterday due to high Winds. Today should be a good day to fly the Wanderer.

My Flight Report

The weather on Sunday (05/30/21) was sunny with temps in the Low 70's and light winds.
So Wanderer had a really good up, and it survived the down for the last fight of Mini Midwest Power. (Can you say Procrastination?) Sorry folks, no pics or vids as I had to launch the Wanderer myself using a borrowed Estes PS-II controller. Yeah, ya'll can shoot me when ya can catch me.... ;)

Motor: Estes D12-5
Apogee: 552 ft.
Max V: 173 ft/s
Flt Time: 44.9 seconds

The Wanderer's chute failed to unfurl after ejection. Not sure why. Nothing looked unduly tangled upon recovery and inspection. Thankfully she incurred no damage on landing.

Today I updated the Google Sheets Flight Log and uploaded the FlightSketch CSV file to the Black USB Drive included the Wanderer's box of accessories.

I should have the Wanderer shipped out before the end of the week.

And thx to everyone for letting me be apart of this epic adventure!

Tobor

Awesome.

Was the chute the rotofoil? The ones with the holes made into it? Just curious which chute was acting up. Even bundled it should slow the rocket enough to not take damage.

For future reference about the Google Sheet
:
Fields on the Main page contain formulae that populate when data is entered into each Hosts page.
Click on your name and it will take you to your very own page to enter your data. When entering data for altitude and duration use numbers only. The formula won't recognize letters and will give a bad value when totaled at the bottom. You can use the empty space on your page to make notes and what not.
Guess I shoulda mentioned that to begin with. Thanks to everyone for keeping this going.

Awesome.

Was the chute the rotofoil? The ones with the holes made into it? Just curious which chute was acting up. Even bundled it should slow the rocket enough to not take damage.
No sir. It was the darker orange ripstop with the black marks on the shroud lines.

For future reference about the Google Sheet:
Fields on the Main page contain formulae that populate when data is entered into each Hosts page.
Click on your name and it will take you to your very own page to enter your data. When entering data for altitude and duration use numbers only. The formula won't recognize letters and will give a bad value when totaled at the bottom. You can use the empty space on your page to make notes and what not.
Guess I shoulda mentioned that to begin with. Thanks to everyone for keeping this going.
Ooops. Do I need to fix something?

No sir. It was the darker orange ripstop with the black marks on the shroud lines.

Gotcha. Good to know. The Wanderer is built solid. Should be able to take quite a bit.

Ooops. Do I need to fix something?

Naw. I went in last night and think I got it fixed. No big deal. Everyone may not be familiar with Google sheets; and not know they have their own page.
No excuses now though. 😁

Gotcha. Good to know. The Wanderer is built solid. Should be able to take quite a bit.

Naw. I went in last night and think I got it fixed. No big deal. Everyone may not be familiar with Google sheets; and not know they have their own page.
No excuses now though. 😁
I dunno if sheets has this feature, but in excel you can lock certain cells so they couldn't be edited which is handy for keeping the equations from getting wrecked

I dunno if sheets has this feature, but in excel you can lock certain cells so they couldn't be edited which is handy for keeping the equations from getting wrecked
I dunno either. I'm new to it myself but will look into it.

@Tobor
I think I got your data entered correctly. If you want you can complete your sheet with your name (not necessary) and the location where the Wanderer flew.

I was able to lock the main page, thanks @jqavins
And while I was there I went in to play with some features and just messing around in general. Personalized my Host page a bit. Everyone feel free to do the same. Just don't move any of the fields or it will confuse the formula on the main page.

Some folks hasn't gave me their email so that I can grant access to the edit the sheet. Which is fine. I can enter the data myself if need be. We will address that when we get there.
I do encourage everyone to at least look at the sheet to see what the Wanderer is doing.

I am glad to see the Wanderer traveling and flying. Thanks to all who is participating! Hope we can keep it going.

Got an email from a john Donovan wondering if it was my personal email. Just making sure it wasn't somebody from here. Guess it is just spam.

@Tobor
What's the word? Is The Wanderer moving yet?
Should be heading to @bobbyg23, btw sir, I think I don't have your email to add you to the Google sheet as an editor. I could be wrong, there was a short period where I wasn't able to update my log here. Not necessary but allows you to edit your page.

Last edited:
Back