Traveling Rocket thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be launching the rocket next Saturday (March 20th, weather permitting) with the next opportunity no later than the 27th. Gonna post my plan for it tomorrow. Box was in ok condition, and the rocket looks awesome! Thank you @MikeyDSlagle for doing the build! Solid as a rock!

photos and video of the launch if you can

I will definitely get pics and vids!

Flight one will be a D12-5. About 8.5oz and .811cal Stability. 55ft/sec off the rail with 450ft apogee.

Flight two will be an E18W. About 9.1oz and .688cal of stability. 65ft/sec off the rail with 1500ft apogee. I am assuming that .688cal of stability should be ok to fly this rocket off a 6ft 1010 rail.

I am going to put the FS Mini in with a DinoChutes Pouch. It will be easier to deal with. Will be flying the second flight with a Marco Polo tracker to test it out. So far this Saturday looks awesome with 8mph winds and sunshine. I have 2 sizes of TRF stickers so I'll put the small one on the rocket. Can't wait!

I'm not sure if the data still exists, but it looks like Mikey's flight time in the spreadsheet is a little long--I'd love to see a 55-minute hang time, but I don't think that's the parachute it comes with!

Holy Cow!! Finally!! I was busy the weekend and just saw that it had been delivered. Glad it is still in good shape.

@shawn_rocket
I have two stickers from TRF here I need to get to you. Just haven't gotten around to it. Feel free to grab a new box from USPS. The packing will easily transfer over.

@boatgeek
The data should still be there, and it is accurate. I used a pine tree for recovery so it had a pretty good hang time...literally.

I still have the length of airframe I removed so this can be turned into dual deploy for anyone who is interested. I don't have a coupler though. But I may can print one that should be strong enough since we aren't hammering this thing with motors. One reason it wasn't included was I will have to design/print a coupler/bay and I wanted to get it flying already. HA! Thank you USPS.

Before reinventing the wheel, (as fun as that is.) hit up Ian for one of the BadAss Rocketry MultiBays designed for the Mach1 tubes. Since he bought out Mach1 he may have the coupler too. Mach1 is not open for general orders, (yet) but wouldn't hurt to ask.
That sled is a work of art, and fits LOTs of altimiters, so anyone wanting to do so could mount the electronics if their choice.
https://www.badassrocketry.com/product-page/badass-multi-bayMike

WOOT! Got The Wanderer in the air for one flight. Hoped for 2, but ran out of time. Got my L1 Cert the same day!

Here is the flight:
The Wanderer SW Missouri

Link to FS Mini stats:
FS The Wanderer - shawn_rocket

Will update the Google Sheet shortly.

Really wanted to get it up on the E18, but did not have a chance to. But, if it ever comes back, I will!

I put the TRF sticker on the rocket but forgot to take a pic before taping up the box. :dontknow:
The Nomex blanket crapped out on me after washing it (really weird), so I threw in another Nomex blanket:

new-nomex-blanket.jpg

Not sure what happened...the tear is where there was black soot from the ejection charge. I also included the FS mini and a pouch for it as it will save some space. Really nice flight on a D12-3 (Apogee 495') and it was a picture perfect day! On to @jbrracer !! :headspinning:

Awesome!! Looks like it flew pretty straight as well. Just as a reference for future Hosts, which chute did you use?

@Tobor the wander will be at mayhem you should show up!
Dang! Family life has been keeping me so busy recently, I decided not to register for Mayhem this year. Hopefully I can make Mayhem 2022.

Anyhoot have a great time there. And plz post some flight pics of the Wanderer!

I flew it yesterday either I don’t know what I’m doing with the mini or it didn’t record. I’m boxing it up now maybe the next person can pull my data. Sorry for the delay, I planned to fly it at mayhem but it was overly windy and rainy not to mention my L3 used up all of Friday. Then it snowed with high winds then rained or I was to busy and time flew by, finally got a chance to fly it yesterday. Nominal flight. Can someone get me the next persons address so I can get it moving.

Hello all, my dearest apologies.

i had emergency back surgery last week, I’m slowly getting life back to normal all things considered.
I have my father picking up the labeled packages to ship out tomorrow.
The parts box is going @CPUTommy
The traveler is going to @Wally Ferrer

with my current incapacitation I’m curious if @MikeyDSlagle would be willing to take my role, as I will be hit or miss for the next Few months.

thank you all for your patience.

jeff Barney

Back