Traveling Rocket thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
Just moving the discussion from the TRF Traveler thread so we can stop the hijacking over there.

It seems pretty clear that most want a rocket of some sort to pass around.

We can hash out the details here and decide who will take the reigns. I am willing to get things organized if need be but let's iron everything out first.

--- ADDED ---
I'll go ahead and take the reigns on this and make this the official sign up thread. Tag me in this thread with @MikeyDSlagle and say that you are in. Then message me with your address. This will help me keep the participants in order.

Last edited:
I love that we have so many willing donors as posted in the Traveler thread.
Plus, we have the at cost option for a LOC bird and a free one-off FG option from Mach 1.

This is why I love this hobby!!

Let me suggest some criteria to consider:
  1. Minimum motor: how small can it go? Can it fly on 18mm BP? 24mm BP?
  2. Maximum motor: how big can you go?
  3. Minimum safe flying height
  4. Can fly on rod (what size), or rail, or both?
  5. How easy to ship?
  6. How durable?

You can fly
I checked my inventory today.
I have a 38mm CF that you could drive a truck over.
The nose cone is a factory item that is easy to replaced.
I would be willing to donate and include an Eggtimer altimeter.
View attachment 441693View attachment 441697View attachment 441694View attachment 441695View attachment 441696
You can fly this configuration on an AT E20 and stay under 350' But you will need a reducer for 29mm to 24mm.
Or since there is no motor mount now I could just as easy put a 24mm mount in it.
Needs about a 4 sec delay and gets about 30mph off the rail.

Let me suggest some criteria to consider:
  1. Minimum motor: how small can it go? Can it fly on 18mm BP? 24mm BP?
  2. Maximum motor: how big can you go?
  3. Minimum safe flying height
  4. Can fly on rod (what size), or rail, or both?
  5. How easy to ship?
  6. How durable?

Well, #4 is easy, have both options on the rocket.

I think a one-off kit is a great idea for this. We would need to settle on a design though. Maybe even see if Mark will help us out on decals.

@n27sb has said Composite Warehouse will make one for free for this cause but it could be a couple weeks. And has also volunteered a 38mm minimum diameter carbon fiber to the cause.
@jbrracer can get LOC for cost if we decide to do paper/wood.
@Wally Ferrer has a Spektor he will donate as well

Personally I think fiberglass or even carbon fiber should be used, or maybe a combination with 3d printed parts. It would be easy to print a detachable fin can or fins to fit a 38mm body tube. It could be disassembled for shipping and transport and spare parts could be printed quickly to get it back flying. But glass fins on a small rocket should be pretty durable and printed parts will be heavier..probably.

@n27sb I really like that rocket but it is a bit long, and most folks geared for small fields may not have a rail to use. Is cutting it down and adding lugs an option? We'll keep it on the table.

"Factory" options include:
Madcow fiberglass mini Cowabunga
Madcow fiberglass mini Squat
Mach1 Spektor
Rocketry Warehouse (Composite Warehouse)Mouse

I am in with this! I like the Mach1 or RW options. Seems both could be easily flown on LPR fields. Could be flown on HPR fields for those that have access. And I like the idea of putting date flown, altitude, location on the rocket or a journal that would travel with it. Altitude would be optional as not everyone has access to an altimeter. I would be willing to put my version 1 Flight Sketch in with this and a spare battery. We could keep a log on flightsketch.com or something like that as well. Just throwing out some ideas.

For your consideration, remember that the Tour de Deuce was flying Fliskits Deuces. When they started getting worn from travelling, someone basically fiberglassed them. I'm not sure exactly what was done, but they were pretty rugged. They became really too heavy to fly on two B motors, but flew pretty reasonably, on a small field, on two C-5's.

I think a one-off kit is a great idea for this. We would need to settle on a design though. Maybe even see if Mark will help us out on decals.

@n27sb has said Composite Warehouse will make one for free for this cause but it could be a couple weeks. And has also volunteered a 38mm minimum diameter carbon fiber to the cause.
@jbrracer can get LOC for cost if we decide to do paper/wood.
@Wally Ferrer has a Spektor he will donate as well

Personally I think fiberglass or even carbon fiber should be used, or maybe a combination with 3d printed parts. It would be easy to print a detachable fin can or fins to fit a 38mm body tube. It could be disassembled for shipping and transport and spare parts could be printed quickly to get it back flying. But glass fins on a small rocket should be pretty durable and printed parts will be heavier..probably.

@n27sb I really like that rocket but it is a bit long, and most folks geared for small fields may not have a rail to use. Is cutting it down and adding lugs an option? We'll keep it on the table.

"Factory" options include:
Madcow fiberglass mini Cowabunga
Madcow fiberglass mini Squat
Mach1 Spektor
Rocketry Warehouse (Composite Warehouse)Mouse

It can be cut down to a total length of 24" and not disturb the upper rail lug.
Lugs can be added in a day
24mm met can be added

I am in with this! I like the Mach1 or RW options. Seems both could be easily flown on LPR fields. Could be flown on HPR fields for those that have access. And I like the idea of putting date flown, altitude, location on the rocket or a journal that would travel with it. Altitude would be optional as not everyone has access to an altimeter. I would be willing to put my version 1 Flight Sketch in with this and a spare battery. We could keep a log on flightsketch.com or something like that as well. Just throwing out some ideas.

It crossed my mind to see if anyone had a Flightsketch to add to the mix,I don't know anything about them, especially creating a log online. Is the battery LiPo? What would be the ins and outs of shipping it? I guess the same could be asked of the Jolly Logic altimeters too.

It can be cut down to a total length of 24" and not disturb the upper rail lug.
Lugs can be added in a day
24mm met can be added

Gotcha good deal. Don't go to hacking it up just yet though.

I think @MikeyDSlagle just makes the call, if someone doesn't like it they can just not participate lol. If we use @n27sb rocket I know he has access to a estes altimeter.... ask me how I know lol. That would eliminate all the cost. Also Nothing stops us from having mach1 make us a back up or another rocket to pass, I don't think it would be to hard to track and follow two. And maybe try and have the two meet for BALLS LRDS ect for a simultaneous launch of both together.
No matter what happens I don't think anything is bad unless we just don't go for it.

Also if the list gets long two would for sure keep the action going. If Mike doesnt want to handle both I could do one he could do the other ect, at this point I don't care I just want to see it happen.

This post is my official "i'm in" post which makes me first in line. =D K thanks

I edited the first post and added sign-up instructions for the new comers.

@jbrracer, you will actually be second, as @shawn_rocket said he was in up there in post #9.
You will both need to send me your mailing aaddresses.
@Tobor, @Wally Ferrer, and @n27sb you guys in as well? If so I will need addresses.

I will be able to look at some sims tomorrow night. It may be a bit before we get to rolling but we will get there. I am really leaning toward Composite Warehouse offer to make a one-off kit. We can check later and see if they have an estimate on when they could turn one out. If it's too far out, I'll check other options.

I may have or may be able to get some foam to fashion a nice cozy shipping container for the rocket. I'll check tomorrow.

If someone could for sure supply a recording altimeter that would be great. If nothing else I could come up with something for an Eggtimer Apogee and we could just use one of those.

If any vendors happen to look at this thread...sponsors are welcome 😁

Open to all suggestions folks.
Thanks

Pm incoming. Did you decide on a rocket for the interim ?
Maybe we go with if you have an altimeter use it if not a sim estimate could work too then if it gain a altimeter along the way great.?

Just moving the discussion from the TRF Traveler thread so we can stop the hijacking over there.

It seems pretty clear that most want a rocket of some sort to pass around.

We can hash out the details here and decide who will take the reigns. I am willing to get things organized if need be but let's iron everything out first.

--- ADDED ---
I'll go ahead and take the reigns on this and make this the official sign up thread. Tag me in this thread with @MikeyDSlagle and say that you are in. Then message me with your address. This will help me keep the participants in order.
@MikeyDSlagle. I'm in. Pm on its way

....Altitude would be optional as not everyone has access to an altimeter. I would be willing to put my version 1 Flight Sketch in with this and a spare battery. We could keep a log on flightsketch.com or something like that as well. Just throwing out some ideas.

Just wanted to give a nod to @shawn_rocket for volunteering his FlightSketch altimeter. We could talk to Russ over at FlightSketch and see if there is some way to setup a group account for uploading flight logs. That would allow us to easily track the progress of each launch, via their free mobile app.

Btw, the latest version of the FlightSketch Mini is on sale for $29.00. That is $11.00 under it's normal price. I may just order one for my BP rockets.

I'm in! A hasty dump of ideas
38mm CF tubefin
elliptical nose
light enough to land on a streamer
24mm pipe so nobody can be tempted to jam an h399 (29mm) or k1127 (38mm)
lugs only / no buttons
< 15.999 oz. USPS First Class Parcel, so max 6bux to anywhere in the US
flyable at almost any field
motors available at every rocketry store
flyable by any age group
flyable in any jurisdiction not having a specific ban
extremely durable
Norman. Norman Mailer

I'm in! A hasty dump of ideas
38mm CF tubefin
elliptical nose
light enough to land on a streamer
24mm pipe so nobody can be tempted to jam an h399 (29mm) or k1127 (38mm)
lugs only / no buttons
< 15.999 oz. USPS First Class Parcel, so max 6bux to anywhere in the US
flyable at almost any field
motors available at every rocketry store
flyable by any age group
flyable in any jurisdiction not having a specific ban
extremely durable
Norman. Norman Mailer

Can I add camera? It'd be great to have a photo album of all the places it's flown. I suppose a tracking thread would have a map with pins where it's been? I'm kinda new at this, but it sounds fun.

Can I add camera? It'd be great to have a photo album of all the places it's flown. I suppose a tracking thread would have a map with pins where it's been? I'm kinda new at this, but it sounds fun.
Sure you can, but you have to sign up first. The reason I ask that I am tagged is it helps keep participants in order and I can pick out the tagged posts easier. Then of course a PM with your mailing address. If you want photos from the beginning you will need to send me the camera so I can put it with the package but I think everyone will gladly take a photo and either post it here or email it to me. I can easily toss in a thumbdrive or SD card and everyone put their photos and videos on there as well.

@shawn_rocket has donated a flight sketch to the cause. Since you are the first stop, it'll be a good idea if you just hold onto until the rocket gets there. I will use my Alt3 for the first flight here.

For the rocket:
I want to keep it at or below 6 oz. That will fly well on a D12, Q-Jet Ds, and the E20 to name a few. If I can do 3 oz it will fly on a B up to at D easily. But the smaller I go the tougher it will be to track and find.
I will see what pieces I have in my box o'parts. I know I have some glass fins and different body tube pieces, I may can piece together a short stubby. I have some 54mm QT I may can do something with but may be getting heavy at that point.

Anyone have the weight of the Spektor? I know the sim file is on the website but I'm at work with no OR. I will run some sims tonight either way. Madcow says the Mini Squat is 6oz, I think Mach1 is thinner? But the Spektor is also longer so its probably close to the Squat. I can always cut it down a bit.

I will put in a notebook to record flight data, maybe a map. If you have a token of some sort you want to fly and toss in the box to travel with it that would be cool too. Something small of course, coin size or similar. It's unlikely it can fly at every stop but it can make the journey.

Anyone have the weight of the Spektor? I know the sim file is on the website but I'm at work with no OR. I will run some sims tonight either way. Madcow says the Mini Squat is 6oz, I think Mach1 is thinner? But the Spektor is also longer so its probably close to the Squat. I can always cut it down a bit.

I will put in a notebook to record flight data, maybe a map. If you have a token of some sort you want to fly and toss in the box to travel with it that would be cool too. Something small of course, coin size or similar. It's unlikely it can fly at every stop but it can make the journey.
OR reports the Spektor at 207g without a motor, so that's about 7.3 oz.

Regretfully I must withdraw my offer of the CF Rocket. A Friend of mine could not stand to see it cut up so he offered me $250. I am still willing to put together rapidly a kit the group decides on. I also still will donate an Eggfinder altimeter.

Regretfully I must withdraw my offer of the CF Rocket. A Friend of mine could not stand to see it cut up so he offered me $250. I am still willing to put together rapidly a kit the group decides on. I also still will donate an Eggfinder altimeter.

Was thinking myself it was a sin to chop it up, but who am I to tell someone else what they can and can’t do.

I have not flown it in 6 years. That is actually only half of the rocket. It has a Mid AV Bay and an upper section. Cutting it down would have made a nice usable rocket that would have gotten flown more but it is going to a good home.

OR reports the Spektor at 207g without a motor, so that's about 7.3 oz.
Looking at the numbers on the Q-Jets, that SHOULD fly on the Cs and Ds although the Cs have a max recommended liftoff weight of 4 oz. But it will fly on the the mighty D12 and the Q-Jet D16 and D20. I'm guessing it'll stay below 500' on either of those.

Was thinking myself it was a sin to chop it up, but who am I to tell someone else what they can and can’t do.

I was thinking the same. Bittersweet. Glad it's not getting cut up though.

@n27sb You say you can put together a kit. What capabilities do you have? A carbon fiber mini Squat or Cowabunga would be awesome. Or dh's idea, a carbon ring fin. That would be draggy for sure.

I guess I should have said that I would assemble a kit that we acquire. As far as a scratch build it would depend on what parameters you want.

Latest posts

Back