Traveling Rocket thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I should have said that I would assemble a kit that we acquire. As far as a scratch build it would depend on what parameters you want.

Gotcha I read that wrong then. I can easily assemble the kit here.

I have decided to go with the Spektor. Once I have it here I will build a more accurate sim and see what it will do; but it looks like it will fly on a some C motors up through Es. I will probably shorten the airframe and modify the fins. That will lighten it up a little and make it easier to ship. Those fins are pretty big. With that nose cone one of my sims was looking like a Der Red Max. While I have nothing against that rocket, I don't want folks immediately thinking that is what we are flying.

I can cut 8" off, leaving a 10" airframe, and use the cut off section as four tube fins or six ring fins. Those large fins also present lots of options to what it can be cut down to.

@Wally Ferrer
You are before me in line for the TRF Traveler, with only one person between us. I suppose you could toss it in the box before you send it out but we are looking at at least two weeks before it will make it to me. If we want to get this rolling it may be better if you send it on out... Unless we cut in line... 😁

A friend of mine gave me an STL for a case to fit the Flight Sketch mini and I am printing it out now. It will ride along as a prototype as he may be offering them up for sale at some point. So if yaw like it and want one, let me know.

Gotcha I read that wrong then. I can easily assemble the kit here.

I have decided to go with the Spektor. Once I have it here I will build a more accurate sim and see what it will do; but it looks like it will fly on a some C motors up through Es. I will probably shorten the airframe and modify the fins. That will lighten it up a little and make it easier to ship. Those fins are pretty big. With that nose cone one of my sims was looking like a Der Red Max. While I have nothing against that rocket, I don't want folks immediately thinking that is what we are flying.

I can cut 8" off, leaving a 10" airframe, and use the cut off section as four tube fins or six ring fins. Those large fins also present lots of options to what it can be cut down to.

@Wally Ferrer
You are before me in line for the TRF Traveler, with only one person between us. I suppose you could toss it in the box before you send it out but we are looking at at least two weeks before it will make it to me. If we want to get this rolling it may be better if you send it on out... Unless we cut in line... 😁

A friend of mine gave me an STL for a case to fit the Flight Sketch mini and I am printing it out now. It will ride along as a prototype as he may be offering them up for sale at some point. So if yaw like it and want one, let me know.

The traveler box if it was reused i know its almost full to the brim although it could be put into a different box.

In case I hadn't said, I'm in. I've fallen behind on the thread; who's taking names and addresses?
That would be me good sir, just pm me your info.

The kit is on it's way to me via UPS. Hopefully it'll be a smooth ride.

Eight participants so far. The rocket is scheduled to be delivered Thursday. I will have a 3 day weekend, so I should be able to get it assembled over the weekend, depending on how much I decide to mod it. One thing though. I CAN NOT fly a rocket without paint, to me the rocket isn't complete; so it will be primed and have at least a color coat. Probably no decals unless we decide what to call it and I can print/cut something with my CriCut, because when I am through it will no longer be a Spektor.

So far it has been called:
The Wanderer
Rambling Rocket
RCSLV (rocket community shared launch vehicle)

If it's called the Wanderer, someone savvy with slideshows will have to make one of the pics and vids set to Dion -The Wanderer.

I have contacted the admins to see if there was any issue with us tagging it with the TRF name/logo mainly because someone will invariably call it something containing TRF and since we are using TRF to organize it. I kinda hinted that if they wanted a sticker involved, they would have to supply it. 😁

It will start here in Louisiana of course. If I can get access to one of the larger fields I may put a D12 in it. Then it will be sent out:
  1. shawn_rocket ---- Missouri
  2. jbrracer ---- Indiana
  3. n27sb ---- Florida
  4. Wally Ferrer ---- Virginia
  5. Tobor ---- Illinois
  6. bobbyg23 ---- South Dakota
  7. dhbarr ---- Oklahoma
  8. jqavins ---- New York
  9. CPUTommy ---- Massachusetts
  10. rdbrown ---- Kansas
At the very least get a decent picture of it on the pad. Video of the flight would be nice but not necessary, and I know that isn't always easy. Pictures can be uploaded here of course and/or emailed to me. I will see if I have a thumb drive and suitable notebook to accompany the rocket, if not I'll buy em and toss em in.

Has anyone ever printed a 24mm-18mm adapter? Have an STL to share? Or have any of the Estes adapters? I have 29-24 but not the smaller one. I can easily build a paper one but I don't expect it to hold up.

I am gonna change my signature to advertise this to get more folks on board.

@Nytrunner Hey buddy, you in or just hanging around? You know you want in? 😁

Last edited:
Eight participants so far. The rocket is scheduled to be delivered Thursday. I will have a 3 day weekend, so I should be able to get it assembled over the weekend, depending on how much I decide to mod it. One thing though. I CAN NOT fly a rocket without paint, to me the rocket isn't complete; so it will be primed and have at least a color coat. Probably no decals unless we decide what to call it and I can print/cut something with my CriCut, because when I am through it will no longer be a Spektor.

So far it has been called:
The Wanderer
Rambling Rocket
RCSLV (rocket community shared launch vehicle)

If it's called the Wanderer, someone savvy with slideshows will have to make one of the pics and vids set to Dion -The Wanderer.

I have contacted the admins to see if there was any issue with us tagging it with the TRF name/logo mainly because someone will invariably call it something containing TRF and since we are using TRF to organize it. I kinda hinted that if they wanted a sticker involved, they would have to supply it. 😁

It will start here in Louisiana of course. If I can get access to one of the larger fields I may put a D12 in it. Then it will be sent out:
  1. shawn_rocket ---- Missouri
  2. jbrracer ---- Indiana
  3. n27sb ---- Florida
  4. Wally Ferrer ---- Virginia
  5. Tobor ---- Illinois
  6. bobbyg23 ---- South Dakota
  7. dhbarr ---- Oklahoma
  8. jqavins ---- New York
At the very least get a decent picture of it on the pad. Video of the flight would be nice but not necessary, and I know that isn't always easy. Pictures can be uploaded here of course and/or emailed to me. I will see if I have a thumb drive and suitable notebook to accompany the rocket, if not I'll buy em and toss em in.

Has anyone ever printed a 24mm-18mm adapter? Have an STL to share? Or have any of the Estes adapters? I have 29-24 but not the smaller one. I can easily build a paper one but I don't expect it to hold up.

I am gonna change my signature to advertise this to get more folks on board.

@Nytrunner Hey buddy, you in or just hanging around? You know you want in? 😁
I have some 18-24 estes adapters I can supply. Does anybody above me need them? If so do you want to move me up the list?

Eric

I'm prett sure I habe the one I made, and if I don't then making another is only a few minutes' work. Is the motor mount made for E motors (95 mm) or just D (70 mm)?

I have some 18-24 estes adapters I can supply. Does anybody above me need them? If so do you want to move me up the list?

Eric

Nah, I'll come up with something here because I want to fly it on a Q-Jet. Either printed or from paper parts, it can't be that difficult.

I'm prett sure I habe the one I made, and if I don't then making another is only a few minutes' work. Is the motor mount made for E motors (95 mm) or just D (70 mm)?

It isn't built yet but I think I will make it to accommodate Ds and the 24/40. I don't want someone sticking an Estes Bang Stick E in there.

Im IN.

I have a rocket as well as an altimiter I can donate to this cause.

What now?

Tom Derosier
62 Rowena Ave
Whitman ma 02382

A light small rocket shouldn't cost more than 5 bucks to ship. Its the packing and protection of the rocket that seems to be the main issue. Waterproof, crush proof, traceable.. all things im thinking about.

Does this work or is the rocket already picked out?

Loc Precision Photon
On a D12- it says 745 feet. Its a 24 mm rocket with 18mm motor mount.
I also have 6 3D printers doing nothing but collecting dust.. so. Count me IN .

Please.

Attachments

• 20201213_123749.jpg
    20201213_123749.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 10
@CPUTommy Welcome aboard. There is nothing else to do. Just wait for the rocket to arrive.
Wally Ferrer has donated a Mach1 Spektor, it is en route to me now. 38mm fiberglass with a 24mm mount. I will mod it to lighten it up and make it easier to ship. When I'm done it should come in under 6 oz easy. A D12 should keep it around 500 feet. I have a heavy duty box here that some craft mead came in. It's pretty robust so hopefully the rocket will fit, along with all the ride-along stuff. I'll just have to wrestle it from the offspring, she keeps her Nerf darts in LOL. shawn_rocket is donating a flight sketch mini, and I am tossing in a case for it, and I'm printing a motor adapter now. Anything susceptible to water damage I will waterproof best I can. Participants so far are listed in post #37.

My wife likes Rambling Rocket, I suppose that slideshow could be set Rambling Man by the Allman Brothers... ;)

Either that or Ramble On by Led Zeppelin

So the FS is getting a pouch? I have the original orange nylon pouch that I was going to put it in. I hip to what ever we put it in. Will help with the longevity of it. I'm pretty excited to get the Wanderer or whatever we decide to call it.

I'm thinking instead of trying to create a FS account...if we just post a screen shot of the FS stats, I can dump it into a Google Sheet or something that we can all see. Creating a separate account in FS, setting that up in the app for one flight will be a pain. Screenshot will work just as good. If a Google Sheet doesn't work for everyone I could create a second FS account that is public that I can add these flights to so everyone can see. Let me me know what y'all like to do.

Everyone can sign it if they like, that's not a problem. Just keep it small so we can get as many as possible on it.

@shawn_rocket Yes I have a case printed in PLA. Once you have it in hand you can see how well it works, maybe send the nylon pouch just in case. Do whatever you feel is easier as far as FS accounts, or Google sheets. I have never created neither for sharing.

I printed out a motor adapter too in PLA, I probably need to try it in PETG, which I hate printing, or PLA+, which I haven't tried. I'll get the size dialed in and try PLA+ for it and the FS Mini case.

This has came along nicely! Don’t forget to sign up for the traveler too! See link in my signature.

Back