Traveling Rocket thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully, one evening's as good as another...

The Wanderer flew on a D12-5, a great flight- quick enough to be fun and slow enough to watch.

Flying is still an anxious event, even LPR, and especially the first flight of the day. The Flightsketch Mini was a new one for me. But the worry and suspense are displaced instantly by excitement upon ignition. It's part of the fun.

On the pad.

IMG_7488.JPG

I almost forgot to grab my digital SLR and take some shots when it was time to push the button. Already armed for countdown.

IMG_7494.JPG

With a smoke ring courtesy of Zildjian, it's off the rod!

IMG_7495.JPG

And on it's way:

IMG_7497.JPG

IMG_7498.JPG

Just before arc

IMG_7500.JPG

The chute protector, chute, and Flightsketch pack nicely into the nosecone with a gentle fold or two, leaving just a bit sticking out past the shoulder.

It all felt good, but there's always a tense moment as the chute inflates:

IMG_7508c.jpg

Gentle touchdown a short walk away.

IMG_7527.JPG

Weather Conditions at flight time:

Flight Day c.png

And flight data:

Flight Data Alt Vel.png
Flight Data Accel.png

Flight Data - Stats.png

With beautiful skies and no wind, I decided to go ahead with a second flight on my only E motor- a vintage Aerotech E15-7W, which simulated to be a similar flight, but with an apogee about 3 times as high- 1600' or so. I have plenty of room for that, winds were very low, I felt 100% confident in recovery. Off we go!

IMG_7533.JPG

After prepping the Copperhead (I ain't scared of those), I found the grain had swollen and with such a small nozzle, I couldn't get the igniter into the slot.

So Flight #2 was scrubbed, and the range was dismantled.

If it looks doable, I'd like to hang on and see if I make another flight this coming Sunday the 20th. @Danomite45, do you think if it left out on the 21st, it would be to you by April 1st? If that's cutting it close, I'll pack it up and get it on the way this week. It needs to be there for your club launch.

Flying is still an anxious event, even LPR, and especially the first flight of the day. The Flightsketch Mini was a new one for me. But the worry and suspense are displaced instantly by excitement upon ignition. It's part of the fun.
This.
Every.
Time.
Last time we flew at a club launch my daughter and I were flying her Sultan Wave on my ticket and I was about to have a breakdown waiting for the the thing to go. Lol. Perfect flight but geez I was anxious!

If it looks doable, I'd like to hang on and see if I make another flight this coming Sunday the 20th. @Danomite45, do you think if it left out on the 21st, it would be to you by April 1st? If that's cutting it close, I'll pack it up and get it on the way this week. It needs to be there for your club launch.

I'm gonna answer this. Get it on it's way. You got a great flight in, with a great report, don't tempt fate. The Wanderer has proven to be oblivious to self-preservation and has tried to self sacrifice already. Send it to the top of the world, you simply can't rely on shipping anything these days.

Started a conversation with the three of us.

We're are nearing the end of the list. Then we start over at the top, which would be me but I am skipping myself, I doubt I will be attending our next launch and I'm not flying it in my yard again. I may attempt to secure a field but that's doubtful as well.

Started a conversation with the three of us.

We're are nearing the end of the list. Then we start over at the top, which would be me but I am skipping myself, I doubt I will be attending our next launch and I'm not flying it in my yard again. I may attempt to secure a field but that's doubtful as well.
I'm excited to be able to launch ver.2!!

With beautiful skies and no wind, I decided to go ahead with a second flight on my only E motor- a vintage Aerotech E15-7W, which simulated to be a similar flight, but with an apogee about 3 times as high- 1600' or so. I have plenty of room for that, winds were very low, I felt 100% confident in recovery. Off we go!

View attachment 509426

After prepping the Copperhead (I ain't scared of those), I found the grain had swollen and with such a small nozzle, I couldn't get the igniter into the slot.

So Flight #2 was scrubbed, and the range was dismantled.
Actually I think we're all glad you didn't get the igniter in. See post 480. :eek:

The Wanderer hopped a train for Alaska in typical fashion yesterday afternoon and left Thomasville, GA with tracking not functioning. 😒

The package was accepted/scanned at 2:40 PM, they usually go to Tallahassee from there, and then to either the Jacksonville or Atlanta hub depending on their trajectory. @MikeyDSlagle and @Danomite45 have the tracking info, hopefully the progress will begin to show up soon.

Thanks to MikeyDSlagle and @rdrown for their work in building the Wanderer and Wanderer 2.0 and for maintaining this event. And thanks to all the hosts for making it a such neat thing to be a part of.

Dan- Tag, you're "it"!

View attachment Wanderer in GA.mp4

"Fly Me To The Moon" -Oscar Peterson

I had checked the tracking when I received the number and it didn't work, so I thought I'd give it a bit. Plus, I've been really busy at work.
I just checked it again and still getting the " Label Created, Not Yet in System" message.
Could you please double check the tracking number??

That's one heck of a video Tim! I can guarantee there not to be any green grass in the one I take!!

Could you please double check the tracking number??

My mistake, Dan. I tried that number at least half a dozen times, off the receipt and off the image of the label. There were, indeed, two numbers transposed and you should have the correct tracking link in your PM. I'll be biting my nails until it gets there!

Sorry this post was delayed, life got in the way.
The club launch was a huge success! We had a 85,000 foot flight by Noah, and my Level 2 certification flight was nominal.

The Wanderer made it to the Annual Alaska Northstars Club launch at Lake Louise, and was sent skyward on a F44. Unfortunately I neglected to press ‘record’ on the Jolly Logic Altimeter Three. 😒.
I had time for a second flight just as the sun was setting, but it chuffed the igniter.

The consensus was that it went over 1000 feet. We’ll find out, as we’re gonna launch it again tomorrow in Palmer!
E96276F3-A3D1-4650-BF2C-D085C2626680.pngEC2E416C-5E4E-4DA5-A6FE-90A782390937.pngA0A26C6B-36CA-4ACC-BDEF-4A1942830CAB.jpeg974EE0A6-6D9A-431B-A7BB-8CBFE33CF0AC.jpeg

Attachments

• 9729AA6A-EFBD-45C1-A445-780BDF21C1F3.png
    9729AA6A-EFBD-45C1-A445-780BDF21C1F3.png
    461 KB · Views: 2
Holy crap that looks cold.

Easily over 1000 feet of the F, it gets over 1200 on an E, you were probably knocking on 2k...1800 anyway.

It's headed to Cali next, I'll start a conversation for us.

Hey @MikeyDSlagle ! I got your message.

I did want to pose a question though. My local flying season is effectively over. The next launch I plan to attend is LDRS in June. Would everybody (but especially the next person on the list) be alright with me hanging onto it until then? Or should we just arrange to send it off to the next person and insert me back into the running once DART resumes flight ops in the fall?

Last edited:
@smstachwick
That's a long time for it to be stationary. Probably be best to skip ya and inject ya back into the list when you are ready.

And that will be the end of the list. Which will bring us back to the beginning...which is me. Our last launch until fall was last weekend, and I am not risking it to the trees here again; and I simply won't have time. So I will skip myself as well. So it's going to Missouri again.
@shawn_rocket
I know you are chomping at the bits to get it and fly it. Let's cross our fingers because I believe it got stuck in a loop going to MO last time?

OK. I can live with that.

How about I keep an eye on the DART calendar and perhaps we’ll work out an alternative spot for me in the list once we have launch dates confirmed?

OK. I can live with that.

How about I keep an eye on the DART calendar and perhaps we’ll work out an alternative spot for me in the list once we have launch dates confirmed?

Yeah that sounds good. We'll inject you when it is a good time for you to fly. And try to get it heading your way in with plenty of time to spare in the event thr carrier drags their feet.

@MikeyDSlagle

I have not been a participant thus far, but if the rocket can make it to me in time to fly on May 28, I can take it to NSL and fly it. Your call for sure if that is logical, but I believe I will be there both day, but am 99.9% sure (COVID or other huge issue not withstanding) I'll be there at least one day. I could ask the LCO to get a group picture together for anyone who has flown it or is at least a TRF member to get a good photo or two.

Obviously, if one or more of the next people on the list are heading to NSL, I'd say just send it to them.

Let me know your thoughts.

Sandy.

@MikeyDSlagle

I have not been a participant thus far, but if the rocket can make it to me in time to fly on May 28, I can take it to NSL and fly it. Your call for sure if that is logical, but I believe I will be there both day, but am 99.9% sure (COVID or other huge issue not withstanding) I'll be there at least one day. I could ask the LCO to get a group picture together for anyone who has flown it or is at least a TRF member to get a good photo or two.

Obviously, if one or more of the next people on the list are heading to NSL, I'd say just send it to them.

Let me know your thoughts.

Sandy.
NSL and other large events could be a good way to scratch off multiple turns in one go.

@smstachwick
That's a long time for it to be stationary. Probably be best to skip ya and inject ya back into the list when you are ready.

And that will be the end of the list. Which will bring us back to the beginning...which is me. Our last launch until fall was last weekend, and I am not risking it to the trees here again; and I simply won't have time. So I will skip myself as well. So it's going to Missouri again.
@shawn_rocket
I know you are chomping at the bits to get it and fly it. Let's cross our fingers because I believe it got stuck in a loop going to MO last time?
It did. Hopefully it doesn't this time around! :headspinning:

This weekend was another perfect day to be outside! Clear and sunny skies, slight breeze, and 40*F. The biggest obstacles were the VERY low flying planes directly over our launch site (well under 500 feet), even with the NOTAM. We had to wait several times for horseback riders to clear the area too.
We sent The Wanderer up to 1584 feet on a F-44-4. I do believe it would have broken 2,000 feet if allowed to coast longer. I’ll order a few of those for next time. We had a great time on the Knik River sandbar, despite of my son getting the suburban hopelessly stuck in the silt, and the $250 the tow truck charged us for pulling us out. Ahhhh…. Memories!
Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of this event. Time to send her south to LA!66E37CD6-0061-4EE4-A598-6A7B412AC578.png0DDC6D3C-2184-48B3-A764-925198BA223D.png1C0FDC43-80EC-406E-AB0C-39A61C4D7BC7.jpegA67BC9D7-9FB6-4013-A2CA-5BECB20DB9B7.jpeg2C607575-FDEF-4505-AEA0-3D38AD1369AD.pngD5BFD245-E144-4696-A119-A4889C3C20D7.png

Attachments

• 84329116-639E-4EC2-B822-6D6C8E7CD2A3.png
    84329116-639E-4EC2-B822-6D6C8E7CD2A3.png
    589 KB · Views: 1
  • A243AB5C-516C-4A5F-A788-1C308A493C3E.jpeg
    A243AB5C-516C-4A5F-A788-1C308A493C3E.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 1
Interesting point. Never thought of that. Plus, it could avoid some shipping costs, depending on who is there and what part of the country they are from. Nice!
Two of us did this at Airfest. Just Oklahoma to Kansas, but the extra eyes were helpful.

Last edited:
Back