Transroc II Rocket Locator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a rocket locating thingie. Rocket items are very limeted in the UK and the Transroc II is about the only thing I can get my hands on easily. It £35 over here (quite a bit for someone who's a paper boy) and I really don't want to waste my money.

Does anyone have one and can tell me a bit about them, are they reliable? Easy to use? etc. etc. I'm also looking for the website as I do have very limeted info at the moment.

Thanks

I've just been searching for websites about the Transroc II and I saw on one site that it was OOP, is this true?

Mike,

The Transroc II rocket locater is just a small device that has a fairly (but not to loud) audible tone. They are about .6" in diameter and easily fit into a body tube attached to the nose cone. It also comes with what Estes claims is a directional microphone. (it sorta works)

Your best bet is to try and make an audible tone device from a "personal alarm" unit that goes on a keychain. I've seen them on ebay for as little as $5 U.S. Those things are quite loud (about 80 to 100 decibels).

You could also get one from Radio Shack (if they are in the UK) but they are bigger than the keychain ones and a whole bunch louder. Here is an article from Rocketry online tech series on how to make on from a personal alarm.

https://www.rocketryonline.com/Search/db_search.cgi?setup_file=Tech&submit_search=yes&db_id=7

Maybe Eugene can help here 'cause he bought a couple on ebay.

sandman

hi mike i have made one of the beepers from a personal alarm they are VERY LOUD and it has saved my rocket alot.you can pick one up from radio shack for about $10 us money and with very little mods. done to it will help you find your rocket i found mine in a corn field with the corn over 6 feet high.
good luck
joe

Back