Transitions on TRF

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thanx for considering me an adult. Although it is nice to sit at the kiddie table once in a while, only because that's where my feet can touch the floor...

Anyway, Kevin thank you for taking over. You'll do just fine. You know what they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Having already gone thru a pretty big change recently, I, personally think TRF is running quite well.

But you know whatever implementations you want, the core of us, which is what like 15, or 20 people, will back you all the way.

Thanks, Michael. I haven't logged on in a couple of days, and when I saw this thread, I went "Huh?"

(Actually, I do that a lot...)

I hope that my avatar is still OK - I haven't seen a high school Student Handbook in something like 40 years. (And I didn't always follow it even then, or rather, especially then.)

MarkII

Yeah... I hope "their" student handbook isn't as bass-ackwards and anal-retentive as ours is... If we had to follow ours, cap sleeves are verboten (don't want any junior high boys seeing "armpit booby") no hoodies are allowed at the middle school, but are at all the others (middle schoolers like to grab the kid in front of him's hood on the back of his neck and yank, possibly causing him to fall backwards), no artwork or wording allowed on clothing that cannot be covered by a 2x2 inch square of paper with no part of the writing or symbol visible (yeah, they even made parents cut the 'Wrangler' patches off the back pockets of the kid's jeans there for awhile), a belt must be worn with the pants, and must be worn at the waist (ok that one I agree with-- I DON'T LIKE SAGGERS!!!) and other such inane nonsense...

There gets to be a WHOLE lot of stupidity going on when the school decides to become the fashion police instead of using a little common sense... :rolleyes:

Later and good luck with the transition (will it be rolled paper or balsa?)... OL JR :)

Yeah... I hope "their" student handbook isn't as bass-ackwards and anal-retentive as ours is... If we had to follow ours...

Wow... Reading that makes me glad we all had to wear uniforms over this side of the pond. Much, much easier.

Phil

Something some of you may have already noticed, and others would've in time -- Troy (AKPilot) is no longer a moderator.

I want everyone to understand that know that this is by his request. With everyone he has going on, he indicated he needs to focus his attention elsewhere, so he doesn't have time to function as a moderator.

I'd like to take a minute to thank Troy for the time and energy he's put into TRF. He invested a lot of time getting things going again, and did his best to make this a positive place for folks to come and talk rocketry, and other topics.

-Kevin

Thanks Kevin for the kind words. It's been fun and I was just glad to be in a position last year to help TRF continue to it's present state. I'm of the firm belief that Kevin and crew will take things to the next level and ensure TRF's success.

As our family continues to prepare for my father's passing, due to terminal bone cancer, it certainly puts things into perspective. I was thinking of him the other evening and even now pay a lot of tribute to him towards my passion in aviation. Back in the '60s he used to do control line airplanes and working for an airlines (World Airways, then United) he's leaving me with a strong legacy of aviation inspired hobbies.

Yeah... I hope "their" student handbook isn't as bass-ackwards and anal-retentive as ours is... If we had to follow ours, cap sleeves are verboten (don't want any junior high boys seeing "armpit booby") no hoodies are allowed at the middle school, but are at all the others (middle schoolers like to grab the kid in front of him's hood on the back of his neck and yank, possibly causing him to fall backwards), no artwork or wording allowed on clothing that cannot be covered by a 2x2 inch square of paper with no part of the writing or symbol visible (yeah, they even made parents cut the 'Wrangler' patches off the back pockets of the kid's jeans there for awhile), a belt must be worn with the pants, and must be worn at the waist (ok that one I agree with-- I DON'T LIKE SAGGERS!!!) and other such inane nonsense...

There gets to be a WHOLE lot of stupidity going on when the school decides to become the fashion police instead of using a little common sense... :rolleyes:

Later and good luck with the transition (will it be rolled paper or balsa?)... OL JR :)

I think the best way to describe it is "Don't be a jerk."

Yeah, they know people curse from time to time, and sometimes they slip. They're not going to be the grammar police. As long as you're not a jerk, you're fine.

Oh, and before I forget. KNOB!

And Kevin, after Christmas, I change the avatar. :p

I think the best way to describe it is "Don't be a jerk."

Yeah, they know people curse from time to time, and sometimes they slip. They're not going to be the grammar police. As long as you're not a jerk, you're fine.

Reading this, what immediately comes to mind is a line from a song: "A model of decorum and tranquility"

And Kevin, after Christmas, I change the avatar. :p

Please, not the one we already discussed -- it failed the "high school test," when presented to my 17 yr old son. He laughed, but said the Deans at his school would not approve.

-Kevin

No offence intended JR, but I think it's time for you to get your Masters in Administration and work your way up to principal or get elected to the school board and make all those common sense changes instead of griping about them. Almost every stupid idiotic rule (and there are plenty) has come down because idiots in school systems all over the USA have bent every common sense rule to the extreme and got called on it, then the parents sued said school systems for discrimination, etc. It's a no win situation. A significant portion of the parents of those kids act and dress much worse than the kids themselves. If the rules aren't in place, the kids run amock because a significant portion of parents refuse to behave as parents. If the rules are in place, everybody bitches and moans about it like you just did. School systems are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

You know, of course, that most Board of Education members are English teachers? This is the reason why the number of credits needed to graduate is overloaded with English classes with the sole purpose of createing more English teachers. A self-perpetuating nightmare.

To this day I can not diagram a sentence nor do I care about it but then again the vast majority of English teachers couldn't build a rocket if their lives depended on it:impatient:

You know, of course, that most Board of Education members are English teachers? This is the reason why the number of credits needed to graduate is overloaded with English classes with the sole purpose of createing more English teachers. A self-perpetuating nightmare.

I've worked in two systems, student taught in two more, and observed in several other systems. I was/am familiar with all of the school boards in those systems. I never saw anybody's board loaded with English teachers. School board members here can't be teachers, so I have to assume you are referring to retired English teachers.

Locally, we have a construction contractor, a doctor, a pharmacist, a Ford Service Center parts manager, a carpenter, a monument (tombstone) salesman, a banker, and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head, but no English teachers. All were elected by the public.

You know, of course, that most Board of Education members are English teachers?
Can you site any references for that factoid?

Public school teachers are employees of the school district. In most districts that makes them ineligible to serve on the school board.

No offence intended JR, but I think it's time for you to get your Masters in Administration and work your way up to principal or get elected to the school board and make all those common sense changes instead of griping about them. Almost every stupid idiotic rule (and there are plenty) has come down because idiots in school systems all over the USA have bent every common sense rule to the extreme and got called on it, then the parents sued said school systems for discrimination, etc. It's a no win situation. A significant portion of the parents of those kids act and dress much worse than the kids themselves. If the rules aren't in place, the kids run amock because a significant portion of parents refuse to behave as parents. If the rules are in place, everybody bitches and moans about it like you just did. School systems are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Oh please... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here we go again with another 'poor little abused schoolteacher/administrator' bunch of ****...

Yeah... right... like the school up near Dallas that has a PRE-K kid in solitary confinement in the LIBRARY because "his hair is too long and doesn't meet the dress code"... which their district defines as "set up to enforce standards to prepare students for a career in business, in which proper attire is a requirement". Sorry, but I call BS... I said it before and I'll say it again... it's not the school's job to play fashion police-- it's the school's job to educate kids.

Yeah, I know, it's hard to do when kids push the limits... Kids wear stuff to shock or distract or whatever, to test the limits. If it's a problem, handle it and get over it. If it's not, don't go looking for a fight and trying to impose some 1950's Leave it to Beaver BS on someone else just because "we're the school and we can-- we're highly educated credentialed education experts and we say so"... Geez, and then these *** clowns wonder why nobody takes them seriously.

My sister is a band director-- used to work for the district here in town. During convocation, she'd complain about the THREE HOURS of dress code lectures they'd get on the dress code rules, enforcement, teacher requirements, etc. She left this district and went to work for another one 35 miles south. Her first day of convocation, the Superintendent (who was a Phd Doctor instead of an urban cowboy like ours) moved to the discussion of dress code issues. She put her hand over her face, prepared for the prototypical three-hour lecture like here. He said this: "If the clothes have holes, they must be patched. No vulgar or offensive or cursing slogans on the clothing. If it's distracting, or if in doubt, send them to the principal or to me, and I'LL HANDLE IT. Ok, next item on the agenda is.... " She was shocked. Know what, IT WORKS! Her school has at most 1/10 the problems with dress code and behavior that we have, and it's a poor school (socially disadvantaged, whatever you call it, lower class, etc.)

I drive a bus. I see plenty of crap. I also run a VERY tight ship and tell the kids in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS what the rules are, and strictly and consistently enforce them. Know what, it works! I have WAY less problems on my bus than 99% of the other drivers. My kids file on, sit down, shut up (ok talk quietly) and stay seated, and if they don't, I'm give 'em a warning or a lecture when they get off, or move them to the front seat after a couple chances and tell them if they're gonna act like a six year old they'll sit where six year olds sit-- IN THE FRONT! They don't like that; I put the responsibility on them and MAKE IT STICK and so they shape up so they can do what they want without me jumping on them. It's all common sense stuff. I've had more than a few defensive mothers call me for correcting a child, and I tell them "too bad, I am driving that bus and it's MY *** on the line if anything happens; so the rules will be enforced consistent with district policy and if you don't like it, you can always drive them to and from school." Some folks don't like it; too bad for them. I keep it to common sense safety stuff-- rules for rules sake is a BUG, not a feature... too bad the school hasn't learned that.

You'd think after a Federal lawsuit (which the district lost BTW) where they tried to force a Native American kindergartener to cut off his ponytail or, barring that, force him to wear it inside the collar of his shirt, that maybe JUST MAYBE these highly educated highly credentialed educators would figure out that a little common sense is in order and they should ask themselves "is this the hill I want to die on" and just figure out 'no harm no foul' and leave well enough alone-- save their time, effort, and energy on more important things that truly ARE a problem?? Nah... too much to ask...
I guess some people are just slow learners though-- you'd think they'd have figured that out after the LAST big lawsuit that the school decided to quit fighting and settle on... when they refused to let a girl in school for wearing a T-shirt to school every day that said "My parent's went to Hoover dam and all I got was this dam T-shirt" (note spelling verbatim) The school ordered her to report to ISS every day or change shirts; her Dad refused and took her home every day. Daddy now has a new house, a new swimming pool, a new guest bungelow behind the pool, and a palm tree garden planted all the way around the pool, a new barn, and five acres of land... guess where he got the money?? But still this sort of idiotic bull**** continues...

Of course expecting more common sense out of our highly educated highly credentialed educators is probably expecting too much... like expecting them to actually get their fourth graders out of the friggin' hallway and out onto the bus ramp before half the buses in the district are halfway across town and the other half are snarled up waiting for them to come back and get the kids... Maybe they were too busy having a dress code spot-check crisis in the hallway to actually get the kids out of the hallway and onto the buses... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I need a friggin' margarita...:dark::dark::dark::y:

OL JR :)

Last edited:
Like I said....do something about it. Even if you don't win a seat on the board, campaigning will help open some eyes and might help bring change. Likely? No, but it's better than doing nothing but complaining. I'm not the poor little school teacher....I do just fine on my own. However, you don't need to make a blanket statement just because your system is wacko.

BTW, the rich kids are usually the ones who are really pushing rule violations and threatening lawsuits around here, so your sister's school in a poor district having better kids and a more laid back code implementation is not surprising to me.

Last edited:
What the heck is happening? Posts are magically doubling up all over this thread!

What the heck is happening? Posts are magically doubling up all over this thread!
Double-vision?!? :santa-smile:

I think it's fixed now; I don't see any duplication of posts.

Double-vision?!? :santa-smile:

I think it's fixed now; I don't see any duplication of posts.

:D OK, that was intentional.

MarkII :hohoho:

Anywho, Troy, thanks for saving TRF. Best wishes and prayers for you and your family in the days ahead. Go ahead and build something while you recuperate and post pictures. Go ahead and build something as stress relief.

Go and buy some of those foam stomp rockets and launch them across the living room just for the halibut.

I had just come back from a house fire when I saw those repeated posts. I wonder if I was hallucinating from inhaling smoke from a burning Alice In Wonderland DVD or Grateful Dead concert video? :eyepop:

Reading this, what immediately comes to mind is a line from a song: "A model of decorum and tranquility"

Please, not the one we already discussed -- it failed the "high school test," when presented to my 17 yr old son. He laughed, but said the Deans at his school would not approve.

-Kevin

See Kevin, not so bad. I can be nice.

Once in a while.

:headbang:

I love my avatar. It's simple and allowed everywhere, easy to find on a page, and unique. I've never found anyone else with the same avatar.

My high school has a somewhat strict dress code, especially for the girls. It doesn't affect me much, since I don't tend to wear stuff with alcohol logos, and I keep my beltline actually at my waist. But they recently took away our right to wear hats in school, as well as starting painting over the senior bricks after two years, for no explanation. Which is really too bad, because I'm apparently getting a fedora for christmas, and I've been informed I like 'dashing' in one.

I love my avatar. It's simple and allowed everywhere, easy to find on a page, and unique. I've never found anyone else with the same avatar.

My high school has a somewhat strict dress code, especially for the girls. It doesn't affect me much, since I don't tend to wear stuff with alcohol logos, and I keep my beltline actually at my waist. But they recently took away our right to wear hats in school, as well as starting painting over the senior bricks after two years, for no explanation. Which is really too bad, because I'm apparently getting a fedora for christmas, and I've been informed I like 'dashing' in one.

Yeah, I hear ya... as a farm kid I ALWAYS wore the ubiquitous farm supply/tractor dealership ball cap that's basically part of a farmer's uniform...

Our retarded anally retentive school district has ALWAYS banned hats indoors...

Some stupid carryover out of date holdover from the 1850's, like not wearing spurs indoors and not spitting on the sidewalk type of crap... :rolleyes:

As Don from Squirrel Works puts in his sig line-- "arguments with furniture are rarely productive" So it is with the morons that run the school around here...

Later! OL JR :)

BTW: the "good ol' boys network" is SO entrenched you can't even THINK about getting elected, or even running for that matter, unless you have the right last name... and I don't. Ce la vie... but I reserve the right to call a spade a spade... :)

BTW: the "good ol' boys network" is SO entrenched you can't even THINK about getting elected, or even running for that matter, unless you have the right last name...
For things like school boards, that's pretty much true everywhere.

MarkII

Thanks Kevin for the kind words. It's been fun and I was just glad to be in a position last year to help TRF continue to it's present state. I'm of the firm belief that Kevin and crew will take things to the next level and ensure TRF's success.

As our family continues to prepare for my father's passing, due to terminal bone cancer, it certainly puts things into perspective. I was thinking of him the other evening and even now pay a lot of tribute to him towards my passion in aviation. Back in the '60s he used to do control line airplanes and working for an airlines (World Airways, then United) he's leaving me with a strong legacy of aviation inspired hobbies.

Troy it was a pleasure and a privelage to work with you on TRF. You did a great job and I wish to thank you for it. I am deeply saddened by what your family must be going through and it makes me value my time with my own father all the more. I hope this time goes as well as it can for you pal.

Back