Transitions on TRF

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
With Troy's announcement of a change in ownership of TRF, I thought it appropriate to explain where things are headed...

So, what's going to happen to TRF?

There are two things which will be the most noticable... A single banner ad at the top of the page, and a slight shift in moderation policies.

A single banner spot will be created at the top of the page, in the existing whitespace. This slot will be
a rotating banner, allowing multiple advertisers to use the same slot. Prices will be very low, as the slot
is shared, and the goal is to make it affordable for any vendor who is interested. There will be a maximum
number of slots, as well as a maximum number which any one vendor can purchase. The goal of this will be to cover the cost of making the forums available.

Second, the moderation policies. Everyone has their own view on what it should be, and here's mine... The vast majority of the users are adults, and want to be treated as such. Even those who aren't adults would
rather be treated as adults, as well -- think back to your childhood, and how many times you grumbled about being "treated like a child."

With that in mind, the policies are pretty straightforward. In terms of language, for those old enough to remember it, the policies will be equivalent to 1970s television standards. George Carlin and his Seven Words You Cannot Say On Television? Well, guess what? You can't say them here, either. Politics and Religion are also two highly volatile topics that we'll just stay away from.

The tone of your message also matters. If I'm in a disgreement with someone and I think they've made a mistake, I'll get a lot farther with them if I say "Hey, Bob, I think there's a better way" as opposed to "Geeze, Bob, you did that WRONG!" If you disagree with someone, feel free to express it. But do it in a way that's courteous and conducive to a discussion.

What about avatars, which have caused some contention in the past?

Pick up a copy of the Student Handbook for your local public high school, and look at the dress code rules. If the people depicated in the avatar are in compliance with the dress code, then the avatar is acceptable on TRF.

As far as the implementation of the policies, they're effective immediately. But that's not an invitation to head off to the races and test the boundaries -- it will take the moderators time to adjust, just like it will take the users time to adjust. So, I ask everyone be patient and let the entire user community adjust to this, over time.

Please remember, the TRF staff is made up of humans. We'll screw up at times, and make mistakes -- a few months back, I posted something which another one of the moderators pointed out wasn't really appropriate. Like any other user, I got admonished via PM by the moderator who realized what I had done. It got corrected. Relevance, you ask? Simple -- EVERY user on this forum will be held to the same rules. Doesn't matter who you are, doesn't matter what level of access you have to the forum, you break the rules, you get dealt with the same. If I break the rules, I expect one of the moderators to call me on it, and if one of the moderators breaks the rules, they'll get called on it, as well.

Hopefully that gives everyone an idea of what to expect.

-Kevin

New owner should post a bio or intro or something. At this point, people just have a "screen name".

I'm assuming you won't show up in my Boeing "Microsoft Office Communicator" (instant messaging system) directory as Troy does. :D

New owner should post a bio or intro or something. At this point, people just have a "screen name".

I can do it, if it's what people want, but I'll be honest that I don't think it's necessary. My thought is that the forum and its users are more important than the guy whose name is on a registration, or two.

That said, if enough folks want it, I'll do it.

I'm assuming you won't show up in my Boeing "Microsoft Office Communicator" (instant messaging system) directory as Troy does. :D

I don't???? :eek:

-Kevin

You might, but without a full name, I can't tell.

Wait... Everyone doesn't know me? I'm crushed.... :p

Kevin Trojanowski; need to renew my NAR membership; Tripoli member (Prefect of Tripoli Nebraska); worked with about a half dozen TARC Teams, two of which have gone on to participate in SLI; Level 2 certified; A few Level 3 failures; Led team for large scale Delta III (central P, 9 Ls), Redstone (P) and Pershing II (Q); four boys, only one of whom has any interest in rocketry, and I do everything I can to encourage him -- he gets upset when he can't go to a launch with me. Dan (6 yr old) is my little rocket buddy; he built his first rocket when he was 3.

This sounds like a good plan to keep TRF going.

AK, like I said in the other thread, I'll keep you in my thoughts. The tough times will pass.

It's going to be tough to post. Isn't rocketry a religion for most of us? :D

Good luck with the transition and remember, for every complaint, there are a bunch of us you just quietly appreciate all the hard work that goes into a forum like this...

Thanks,

John

*cough*
Ex section
*cough cough*

sorry I need to get this cold checked out ;)

Ben

Greetings to our new leader..

image001-Copy.jpg

Oh wait... is that political.. sorry:roll:

A single banner spot will be created at the top of the page, in the existing whitespace. This slot will be
a rotating banner, allowing multiple advertisers to use the same slot. Prices will be very low, as the slot
is shared, and the goal is to make it affordable for any vendor who is interested. There will be a maximum
number of slots, as well as a maximum number which any one vendor can purchase. The goal of this will be to cover the cost of making the forums available.

I would be interested in this, please keep me posted.

With that in mind, the policies are pretty straightforward. In terms of language, for those old enough to remember it, the policies will be equivalent to 1970s television standards. George Carlin and his Seven Words You Cannot Say On Television? Well, guess what? You can't say them here, either.

I don't remember that bit. Maybe you could create a sticky containing those words so we know what they are.
:D

In terms of language, for those old enough to remember it, the policies will be equivalent to 1970s television standards. George Carlin and his Seven Words You Cannot Say On Television? Well, guess what? You can't say them here, either. Politics and Religion are also two highly volatile topics that we'll just stay away from.
What about avatars, which have caused some contention in the past?

Pick up a copy of the Student Handbook for your local public high school, and look at the dress code rules. If the people depicated in the avatar are in compliance with the dress code, then the avatar is acceptable on TRF.

In general, where are thinking the bar should be set? A 'PG' rating or 'PG-13'?

And BTW, thank you for picking up the reins.

Those are movie ratings. He's talking TV here.

1970s TV.

Correct. Both of the movie ratings noted would allow levels of nudity not allowed on normal network broadcast TV in the 1970's.

I said normal network, and not PBS, where we were treated to Monty Python reruns as well as "Steambath" and probably a few other shows I forget with some nudity.

Okay, fine. Since then one of Carlin's 7 dirty words (starts with P, refers to urine) is now commonly heard on broadcast TV, although usually in the context of drunkenness (P'd up) or angry (P'd off).

Another thing... are propellant formulations still going to be verboten?

Okay, fine. Since then one of Carlin's 7 dirty words (starts with P, refers to urine) is now commonly heard on broadcast TV, although usually in the context of drunkenness (P'd up) or angry (P'd off).

Since then, yes. In the 1970s, no.

There are ways of expressing the same sentiment without use of the word.

Another thing... are propellant formulations still going to be verboten?

Changes on that front are coming, as well, but I request patience.

Remember, this is a more significant change for the moderators than it is for the users. Where they had one set of rules they were accustomed to, now they have to adjust their review processes around a new set.

-Kevin

Changes on that front are coming, as well, but I request patience.

Remember, this is a more significant change for the moderators than it is for the users. Where they had one set of rules they were accustomed to, now they have to adjust their review processes around a new set.

-Kevin

How do I apply for the EX moderator spot? ;)

Ben

hey Kevin - you in charge????????????????? not sure what to say :) - see ya at the next meeting

Steve

Good luck Kevin. Thanks for stepping up and taking the reigns!

If any are confused Troy's announcement was in the Very Bad News thread, and here is the link to the specific post.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=63926&postcount=27
Thanks, Michael. I haven't logged on in a couple of days, and when I saw this thread, I went "Huh?"

(Actually, I do that a lot...)

I hope that my avatar is still OK - I haven't seen a high school Student Handbook in something like 40 years. (And I didn't always follow it even then, or rather, especially then.)

MarkII

Last edited:
Correct. Both of the movie ratings noted would allow levels of nudity not allowed on normal network broadcast TV in the 1970's.

I said normal network, and not PBS, where we were treated to Monty Python reruns as well as "Steambath" and probably a few other shows I forget with some nudity.
Well OK, fine. I'll just have to keep my clothes on when I post, then. (Sheesh! :rolleyes: )

MarkII

...slipping Nick a $5....

...taking $5 back, slipping Nick a $50....

Thank you, thank you for saving my eyes!

-Kevin
:roll:

OK, how soon before that policy goes into effect? :shock:

MarkII

I hope that my avatar is still OK - I haven't seen a high school Student Handbook in something like 40 years. (And I didn't always follow it even then, or rather, especially then.)

Sorry, no - Student Code of Conduct specifically bans wearing of live animal furs, especially those baring teeth! Sorry, but you're going to have to call your Mom and ask her to bring you something else to wear!

:neener:

Sorry, no - Student Code of Conduct specifically bans wearing of live animal furs, especially those baring teeth! Sorry, but you're going to have to call your Mom and ask her to bring you something else to wear!

:neener:
Darn! and I just had it cleaned, too. :(

MarkII

Back