Tracking Xmitter Mounting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperSlim

Reaction score
I just purchased a transmitter and reciever from https://radiotracking.com/ and was wondering how other people attach their tracking transmitters to their rockets? I think the most common method in our club is to tape the transmitter to the shock cord.

Please describe and post pics of how you load your transmitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to just tape mine to the shock cord with black electrical tape, until I had the cord wrap around it and cut through the tape. It was weird walking up on the signal and not seeing a rocket attached to it. I now use a couple of nylon tie straps to attach it to the cord and then the black electrical tape.

Tony

Inside the nose cone is always a good choice, if not Carbon Fiber.

Inside the nose cone is always a good choice, if not Carbon Fiber.

The only problem I foresee with being in the nose is if you lawn dart and it gets buried, what then? If it is taped to the shock cord, on the drogue side if dual deploy, at least there is a good chance the tracker will remain above ground.

SuperSlim, I use the XLF 6 from LL and I tape it to my shock cord with electrical tape.

Eric

The only problem I foresee with being in the nose is if you lawn dart and it gets buried, what then? If it is taped to the shock cord, on the drogue side if dual deploy, at least there is a good chance the tracker will remain above ground.

SuperSlim, I use the XLF 6 from LL and I tape it to my shock cord with electrical tape.

Eric

I don't know about you or the rest of the flyers, when I lawn dart everything is destroyed anyway.

Lawn dart proof electronics?

I put mine (Walston) in a nomex sleeve, with a 9/16 tubular nylon loop sewn on and quicklinc it to the nose cone eye bolt.

The nomex idea is great. Which model (electronics) are you using?

The nomex idea is great. Which model (electronics) are you using?

Myself and 3 others in our club use the Walston 2438 "Quad" transmittiers. We each own our own transmitters. These transmitters fit in a regular nomex shock cord protector. I had a local sewing shop sew one end shut and had a tubular nylon loop sewed on. We wrap some bubble wrap around the transmitters, slide them up the sleeves which are long enough to tie a knot in the open end. Very secure, haven't broke one yet. I'll take a pic. and submit it soon.

Myself and 3 others in our club use the Walston 2438 "Quad" transmittiers. We each own our own transmitters. These transmitters fit in a regular nomex shock cord protector. I had a local sewing shop sew one end shut and had a tubular nylon loop sewed on. We wrap some bubble wrap around the transmitters, slide them up the sleeves which are long enough to tie a knot in the open end. Very secure, haven't broke one yet. I'll take a pic. and submit it soon.

Thanks. I have heard of people putting the transmitter in tubular nylon and PVC. I would love to see a picture of your setup.

Here's a pic. of the transmitter sleeve. Like I said we just tie a knot in the open end, we thought of velcro or a snap closure, but with a knot being a sure way of not opening up we left it at that.

In the 4 years we have used this method with just taping bubble wrap around the transmitter we haven't broke any. I'm actually working on some PVC capsules for the transmitter heads which will be more of a convenience thing, but will also offer more protection. That will eliminate fooling around with taping on bubble wrap every time.

I'm using pvc nipples, will cut off the threads on one end, glue on a cap with a hole with a rubber grommet in for the antenna to pass thru and then use a screw on cap on the open end. Will just insert that in the sleeve then.

Transmitter Sleeve.jpg

Thanks for the pic. That's really helpful. You wouldn't have a pic of the transmitter mounted to it would you?

It's sewn shut at one end and knotted at the other, how do you get the transmitter inside?:eyepop: just kidding

I received my tracking equipment today and had the wife take the transmitter out and hide it. Even though we live in a residential area, I tracked her well even though she drove south through the neighborhood and then back to the north to try to fool me. I had a good signal until probably about the time she dumped the transmitter in a flower bed close to and on the opposite side of a friend's house about a half mile away. She came home and I hopped in the car and guided her back to the transmitter the long way, but I blame that on her driving to fast and me not being able to maneuver the yagi well inside a Camry. More practice to come this weekend.

I really like the size of the transmitter. It's very small and will fit easily in my Hawk Mtn Raptor.

Back