Tracking Systems to help find lost rockets....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottluther1369

Reaction score
Okay, another rocket lost in the field. What do people us for tracking systems. This time is was my daughters rocket and needless to say she's a bit upset at "dad" not finding her favorite rocket. : ) I'm sure I'll find it eventually but are there little beeping type things I can put in the rocket to help locate them? Looking for low cost to mid cost.
thanks!
--Scott <the newbie>

thats a great idea and I'm definately going to get a couple of the $12 models! Ah, but hypothetically suppose it lands in a tree at the end of a park and I can't get it and it beeps until the natives get restless? : )

How is the CANSAT Kit? Do you have to assemble it? Do you need anything else to work with it? I mean do you need a frequency locator? Is it truely a complete package? I'm not electrically inclined. Any advice on which frequency model to go with? How big is it and what is the smallest body tubes you could put it in?
--Scott <the newbie -who's losing rockets at an alarming rate - yet there is hope! I just hate it when my daughter loser her little loves....I mean she practically slept with that rocket....do we need a shrink????>

suppose it lands in a tree

I made a locator with a "personal alarm" that I got from eugenefl. a little big and heavy but it works in an Aerotech Mustang just fine.

I just installed it with one end hooked to the nose cone and the lanyard (string) tied to the shock cord. The thing has a million decibels... or is it 100,00 bels?:confused:

It's LOUD!

Ken Parker's solution...Shotgun!

I was just thinking about a fishing pole with a lot of line. : ) I'm sure people would just LOVE that. <LOL>

When I read the "fishing rod" idea I immediately thought of a system they use for bowhunters. It would work, but would be cumbersum to use for rockets because there is no was to rewind the string. Here it is.

https://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-recovery-gametracker-2500.htm

In searching this site, I found an electronic retreaval that would work great, however a little expensive. Like $299.00 expensive, but very lightweight. Only 65 grains. About .15 ounces (I think I did the math right)

https://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-recovery-trackmaster-system.htm

Neither would be great. One not practical and the other out of my price range. Just thought it was neat info.

The fishing rod would add drag that would have BAD effects on a rocket in flight I would think. The mental picture of a rocket on a string and the reel accidentally engaging is rather amusing though. HEADS UP! :p

I saw some plans posted somewhere (Was that you, Sandman?) for converting a Radio Shack personal alarm into a sonic locator for rockets. It's based on the 140 db egg-shaped alarm. I bought one to put in my LOC Graduator when I get it built. That sucker is Loud, and it has a tonal quality that just can't be ignored. It's too heavy and large for my mod-rocs (except maybe my old Pershing 1A), but it should be fine in mid-sized mid-powered rockets and up. It could be rigged to pull the pin as the chute comes out, or the pin could be pulled just prior to launch.

Don't laugh, but I use my bird dog. I just spray some quail scent on my rocket before flight, send it off, and if it lands where I lose track of it, I send her out. Before I got her, I lost about two to four rockets a year. This summer, she found every one, including the one in a tree.

Tower Hobbies and many of the other Radio Controlled suppliers sell the audio plane locators. They are small. light, fairly cheap, and I know guys who use them, they can be heard pretty well in a corn field.

Originally posted by Mad Rocketeer
I saw some plans posted somewhere (Was that you, Sandman?) for converting a Radio Shack personal alarm into a sonic locator for rockets. It's based on the 140 db egg-shaped alarm. I bought one to put in my LOC Graduator when I get it built. That sucker is Loud, and it has a tonal quality that just can't be ignored. It's too heavy and large for my mod-rocs (except maybe my old Pershing 1A), but it should be fine in mid-sized mid-powered rockets and up. It could be rigged to pull the pin as the chute comes out, or the pin could be pulled just prior to launch.

Pardon the pun, but I think I'll toot my own horn--I'm the one that submitted the review to EMRR for converting the Blue Egg personal alarm from Radio Shack to a rocket beeper/locator. They indeed work very well. For larger rockets, the older brown personal alarms from RS work just as well. Cheap, easy to locate (in a store) & very effective in the field :D

Don't laugh, but I use my bird dog.

Sorry Scot, but I did Laugh. :D :D

What a great idea.

Now I want to see pictures.

I'm the one that submitted the review to EMRR for converting the Blue Egg personal alarm from Radio Shack to a rocket beeper/locator.

OH, yea...I forgot to say...

It wasn't me!:rolleyes:

Thats okay Gus. It WAS a joke. Sure wish I had a bird dog....Hey! Could be a new business! <-Joke to
--Scott <the newbie>

Back