TRA or NAR?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkij47

Reaction score
I am new to rockets and have just built an Aerotech Mustang that has yet to be flown. I want to cert. L1 this year (not with the mustang) and am confused as to which orginazation I need to join to cert. L1. Do you need to be a member of TRA or NAR or both to cert. L1? If you only need to join one then which is better for high power rocketry?

Originally posted by jenkij47
I am new to rockets and have just built an Aerotech Mustang that has yet to be flown. I want to cert. L1 this year (not with the mustang) and am confused as to which orginazation I need to join to cert. L1. Do you need to be a member of TRA or NAR or both to cert. L1? If you only need to join one then which is better for high power rocketry?

They both cover it and have reciporical agreement, meaning if you certify in one, the other counts it. TRA is more focused on HPR because it's less focused on LPR. Neither of them is "better" for HPR.

HPR is an activity, not a membership. Most of what you do will not be affected by membership in one over another.

I'd take a look at what you get by joining them and how much it costs and decide from that.

If you want to get into EX stuff, then you'll probably want to go with TRA, because they tend to lean more in that direction. NAR tends to stay more mainstream.

WW

You're welcome to check out:

https://www.indyrockets.org/roci.html

for info on rocketry in Indiana. If you get a chance to scoot down to the Muncie launch this weekend, we can sign you up and certify you all in one shot.

Thanks for all the responses. I understand it now.

narprez,
I think I will have to make it to Muncie this weekend. I have not purchased my rocket yet for a L1 attempt but I would like to come watch. My local dealer 'Red Arrow Hobbies' was broke into and all the high power stuff was stolen so I have not been able to get the motors I need to fly the Mustang. Do any vendors attend your launches?

Thanks again to all of you.

Thanks for all the responses. I understand it now.

narprez,
I think I will have to make it to Muncie this weekend. I have not purchased my rocket yet for a L1 attempt but I would like to come watch. My local dealer 'Red Arrow Hobbies' was broke into and all the high power stuff was stolen so I have not been able to get the motors I need to fly the Mustang. Do any vendors attend your launches?

Thanks again to all of you.

Vendors attend most major launches. Almost certainly at Muncie, thought I don't see mention of who on the launch announcement. I'll bet that if you show up with your Mustang there will be someone there, vendor or individual, with a motor or three to sell you.

Where in northern Indiana are you? I'll bet there are some stores with motors not too far away. Plus, there's always online mail order.

I live in Syracuse Indiana, none of the hobby shops within 100 miles sell anything over a D motor that I have found except Red Arrow. I would rather not do mail order because of the hazardous shipping charges. I am going to be near Muncie this Sat. for other business so I will find a way to get over for a while.

I live in Syracuse Indiana, none of the hobby shops within 100 miles sell anything over a D motor that I have found except Red Arrow. I would rather not do mail order because of the hazardous shipping charges. I am going to be near Muncie this Sat. for other business so I will find a way to get over for a while.

There are two Phil's Hobbies in Ft. Wayne: 3112 N. Clinton St [(260) 471-1340] and 1722 Lake Ave. [(260) 426-5056]. They have Aerotech F20-4 and F20-7 Econojets in stock (or so says their web site, call and check) for $29.95 for a 2 pack. The F20-7 is pretty much the perfect first-flight motor for a Mustang. They list several sizes of AT single use motors.

I stoped in last weekend and nothing over a D. That is an online store that is shipped from Horizon Hobbies. He can order them but it takes a few weeks. I am looking for some E's for the first launch of my Mustang. I already have some F-20's for the following flights. Thanks for looking for me.

Phil's Hobbies also has a store in Defiance, OH that keeps F & G motors in stock...for a hefty price, I might add. Only time I buy from them is when we're up there visiting in-laws and they happen to have something that Magnum is out of. Otherwise it makes more sense to drive over to Ross's or get it mail order.

There shouldn't be a hazmat charge for the size motors you're getting.

By the way, a Mustang will fly on a D12-3 or E9-4 if you're desperate (and there's no wind)!

It varies from one company to another but usually HazMat charges are only applied to H and larger motors. Although almost all blackjack propellant motors also have HazMat charges applied just to piss us off.

Hazmat fees? Depends on who you buy them from and how they are shipped.
I have bought HPR reloads with no hazmat fees that were ground shipped.
NAR or TRA? Not a whole lot of difference if you are fying High power. Except. I have noticed ,and this may not always be the case, that on average TRA launch site waivers tend to be a bit higher and larger motors are flown at their launches.
Judge which to join based on what club you plan to fly with.
There are 2 clubs in south central MI. that have monthly launches.
Team1 (I am a member) flies at Manchester, MI. and Jackson area rocket club flies at the Michigan International Speedway.
Red Arrow attends both of the MI. launches as well as several other vendors.

narprez,
. . . .Do any vendors attend your launches?

While the Muncie launch is sponosred by an NAR club, it's not "my" launch (grin). Don't know about vendors at the launch either. I'd try looking at the website and see if there's any info there. If not, try contacting someone at the club.

Hope this helps. (back to building furiously. . . )

I wouldn't sweat getting E motors if you already have some F20's and will be at a big field anyway. Those will be great flights and really get you hooked. The only time I use E motors is to "scratch the itch" in between HPR launches. E15 single-use and E16 reloads in an Arreaux or LOC Weasel are great for small fields. Then again, a G-Force on a G35 would be nice too.:D

Back