TRA L-3's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickburst

Reaction score
I was cruising the new and much improved Tripoli website. Just for fun I counted the L-3's. I was amazed to see that there are 635 people certified as L-3. Much more than I would have guessed.

I'm not trying to start a NAR vs TRA thing, but I wonder how many L-3' are in NAR?

Is NAR bigger that TRA? (membership wise). Or is it the other way around?

Just wondering.

I'm not trying to start a NAR vs TRA thing, but I wonder how many L-3' are in NAR?

I can't answer that, as I don't know.

Is NAR bigger that TRA? (membership wise). Or is it the other way around?

It is my understanding that NAR has quite a few more members than TRA.

-Kevin

IIRC, I think NAR lagged behind TRA a few years in offering L3 certifications because NAR wanted to spend a bit more time studying possible processes or methods that they would use to certify L3 rockets/flights. So for a time if you wanted to be L3 you had to do it via Tripoli hence the numbers difference. (I might be wrong.)

I believe TRA has more HPR certified people than NAR, but NAR has more members.

I believe TRA has more HPR certified people than NAR, but NAR has more members.
Pretty close to 100% of TRA's membership has HP certification, doesn't it? Isn't that the organization's entire focus?

Mark K.

Pretty close to 100% of TRA's membership has HP certification, doesn't it? Isn't that the organization's entire focus?

Mark K.

Yep. That was part of the basis of my guess.

I didn't see any such info on the NAR site. Maybe NAR chooses not to publish this info?

Doesn't matter, I was only curious.

I didn't see any such info on the NAR site. Maybe NAR chooses not to publish this info?

Doesn't matter, I was only curious.

It isn't published standalone but sometimes appears in the minutes of the BoT meetings. From the March 2009 minutes:

L1 - 779
L2 - 860
L3 - 285

And there are a number of people who are on both lists since NAR/TRA accept the other's certs. At the moment, if you look at the lists there is a "n/a" and more numbers. Those are probably the people who certed with NAR and also belong to TRA. My number didn't show up in the initial list, but after I mentioned it to them, it now appears in the appended list of numbers.

Chuck

A few years ago Trip Barber published (in SR mag) this historical chart
showing the number of HPR certifed NAR members. But it
doesn't break it down by cert levels.

Interesting. NAR's membership is lower than I would've guessed it to be.

I suspect (but could be wrong, and do not have the data to verify it) that a significant portion of the NAR HPR certified folks are also members of TRA.

-Kevin

And there are a number of people who are on both lists since NAR/TRA accept the other's certs. At the moment, if you look at the lists there is a "n/a" and more numbers. Those are probably the people who certed with NAR and also belong to TRA. My number didn't show up in the initial list, but after I mentioned it to them, it now appears in the appended list of numbers.

Yep, that's in the process of getting fixed.

-Kevin

There is a NAR membership promotion going on with the slogan "5200 by NARAM-52." If memory serves, Trip said that NAR is at about 5K members now.

He also said something about how many of them are HPR certified but I can't remember exactly what he said. I have a vague recollection that he said over 50% and growing.

Take a look at https://nar.org/NARjoin.html to see the "free stuff" you get for joining NAR during the promotion. Big thanks go to Aerotech, Semroc, and Quest (in alphabetical order) for supplying the goodies...

Take a look at https://nar.org/NARjoin.html to see the "free stuff" you get for joining NAR during the promotion. Big thanks go to Aerotech, Semroc, and Quest (in alphabetical order) for supplying the goodies...

I discovered that when I did my rather tardy NAR renewal last week; because of that, my six year old is now a NAR member.

He doesn't know it yet, though. The membership card and kits will make his day. Of course, I ordered him a couple of extra goodies from Semroc, too.

-Kevin

NAR is only at 5k? I thought TRA was atleast to 7500.

Ben

If you add up the L1, L2, and L3 numbers posted earlier then you get a TRA "HPR certified, dues paying" membership at a little under 2000. If you have the same number of dues paying "L0" members as are in the other categories (maybe 800?) then you get to almost 3K in TRA...

If you add up the L1, L2, and L3 numbers posted earlier then you get a TRA "HPR certified, dues paying" membership at a little under 2000. If you have the same number of dues paying "L0" members as are in the other categories (maybe 800?) then you get to almost 3K in TRA...

interesting. Im one of those due paying L0s :D I thought there were more members. Looks like TRA needs a membership push!

Ben

That number is low.

-Kevin

Back