Tour De Deuce at SEARS 572 Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaneKG

Reaction score
The SEARS 572 launch of February 7th in Headland AL will host the eighth state launch in what will hopefully be a fifty state tour for the Deuce's Wild Kits. The Deuce's Wild is a two motor canted cluster rocket. The set of two Tour Deuces will be brought over from Georgia by Keith Stewart of Thomasville. The official Tour De Deuce website is https://www.fliskits.com/tour_de_deuce/tdd_main.htm

In addition we plan a mass launch of as many Deuce\'s Wild kits that we can muster. A Dozen Deuces would be great. Eugenio Cebollero of Florida, one of the originators of the tour idea, is planning to attend and will bring his 29mm version of the Deuce's Wild.

Of course all variations on the Deuce Wild concept are welcome. The Deuce's Wild is available from Flis Kits at https://www.fliskits.com.

Our club web site is www.sears572.com

Greg Lane
SEARS 572 President

I'll be there with my DW.
I'll try to make the club's January launch so I can go ahead and meet some of you, and make sure I can get there without getting lost.

Tim

Tim, Eugene, Jason

I look forward to meeting you at upcoming SEARS Launches. I hope I can arrange good weather.

Thanks,

Greg

Alaska in February? Isn't that like going to h*ll in July?
:D

Wow...less than a month! This is exciting! Me and Eugene both have custom nosecones for 2.6" DW's, but we just need to buy tubes and cut parts for them! I'm gonna try to fly mine, if I can get it built, on dual F40-7's or G64's. Should be a heckuva lot of fun! Eugene's been saving a pack of G38-7FJ Econojets for a while JUST for the flight of his upscale DW! That should be fun too!

I will also be bringing my kit DW, kit Tres, signed Praetor, Corona, my downscale AT Mustang, 24mm DW, among other rockets. Gotta buy some serious motors! I think a Blast-Off Flight pack will do me ok! Maybe I'll put the downscale Mustang up on a E15-7 or other composite, since it IS glassed....

Anyways, I am very excited about going to this meet! I just hope that I can bring everything and fly everything I want! Can we schedule a gigantic DW drag race?! That would be SWEEET!

Jason

I **love** that one pic at: https://www.sears572.com/pic92.htm

With the caption "Must have been a Deuce's Wild!" LOL

Probably the only model rocket on the PLANET that you can identify from the smoke trail alone! :)

What was really funny is I was looking through the thumbnail images and saw that and thought "oooo, that looks like a Deuce launch, let me check that one out"...

great pic! LOL

jim

Jim,

The more I look at it it could of been two Exoskells. We did have three DW launches.

Greg

I dunno... those trails are nearly identical in size and are vectoring *towards* each other as you would expect of a Deuce trail... hhmmmm

Originally posted by jetra2
Anyways, I am very excited about going to this meet! I just hope that I can bring everything and fly everything I want! Can we schedule a gigantic DW drag race?! That would be SWEEET!

Jason

I am equally as excited. I absolutely love attending organized launches. I think this SEARS meet is going to be great. I hope a lot of TRFers come out. Jason and I will have a unique tent and prep area. You'll know who we are. ;)

I plan on getting my 29mm Deuce built ASAP. It's gonna be crazy though - less than a month to go. I'm looking forward to having a downscale flight like Carl's 38 Special. Well, from pictures it's sure gonna look very similar! Now I just gotta build the darn thing!

Originally posted by LaneKG

I think slim_t may be coming also. All TRFers are welcome!

Greg

I'm certainly planning on it. I hope to have my 24mm DW built by then, and I'll be bringing my kit one as well, along with lots of other goodies of course. Looking forward to it.

Tim

ok, ok, OK...

Looks like you guys are setting the pace for a record number of Deuce launches in one outting!

We want pictures! we want rocket counts! we want motor counts!

way KEWL!

----------
and post #2700 to boot :D

A TDD event and a record # of total DW's, now that would be awesome. Certainly an event to remember. How many would we need to make it a record?

Don't worry, I will be snapping away with my digital camera, and I'm sure the others will too. I can't wait.

Tim

Frankly, I have no idea how many in one outting would be a record, but I think we did 15 Deuce launches at NSL 2003 and nearly that many at NARAM 45.

So, want of a better number, let's call that the number to beat and see if we can do it, than beat *that* :D

Hey, guys I've been following this thread for a while and I know there are a lot of people in the same states that would have like to have been involved in this project (me being one). So I was thinking what if you have a grande finale, say two weeks after the last tour date and pick a day and see how many Dueces we can launch in one day? Just a thought.

Originally posted by Frodo2801
Hey, guys I've been following this thread for a while and I know there are a lot of people in the same states that would have like to have been involved in this project (me being one). So I was thinking what if you have a grande finale, say two weeks after the last tour date and pick a day and see how many Dueces we can launch in one day? Just a thought.

A "Tour de Deuce" Grand Finale would be absolutely amazing! An event where hundreds of Deuces are flown by members from all over the country would be a nice cap to this project. The buzz of an event such as this simply makes me happy all over. I'm all for it. I know I plan on being in New Hampshire when this project is finished. By then I should have a few Deuces of my own. :)

I had been thinking about a TDD Grand Finale all along, even before the project started. I had thought that we could make it a big day at CMASS or something similar, with Carl coming out and bringing the Super DW and Super Tres, at least a hundred DW launches, maybe even a 20-30 way drag race...:D :D Then after all that, we'd all go to Jim's place and hang out... :D

Now THAT would be fun!

Jason

i love this idea!

We could really pump it up in the forums, news groups and Sport Rocketry too.

let's keep this idea in the forefront. I know it's a long way off yet, but done right, could take a bit of thought.

thanx for the idea, Frodo!

TDD GRAND FINALE!

Absoultely!
I need to use my frequent flyer miles anyway. Was gonna take the wife to Hawaii, but Jim's place might have to do. :D
I'm kidding of course, but I do have a good bit of frequent flyer miles and if I plan far enough ahead, I'm sure I could make it.
Let's just make sure its during the summer and not January. :(
It got up to about 65 here today. I actually got some painting done. :cool:

Tim

All,

This is just a reminder that the SEARS 572 February 2004 Launch is this Saturday, February 7th. The normal setup time is 8:30 AM with the launch waiver in effect from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM. If there are any changes I will update the web site www.sears572.com and send another email.

The club welcomes all new members and visitors and especially Team America Rocketry Teams. The club event this launch is the Alabama Tour De Deuce and Deuce's Wild Fly-off (see below). The directions are below also.

See you there!

Greg Lane
SEARS 572 President
www.sears572.com

Launch Notes:

NAR Model and High Power Safety Codes will be followed. Jack Kale is the Range Safety Officer.

Starting with this launch we will have club members will take turns as Launch Control Officer (LCO). This is to make sure the launches are orderly and safe. Launches are getting pretty busy.

All launch equipment is provided.

Sorry there are no restroom facilities. There are some convenience stores about seven miles away on Hwy 431.

We prefer that you use cellulose insulation, dog barf, instead of Estes wadding. I will have a complementary starter bag of "dog barf" for those who do not have any.

SEARS members can assist you in learning the launch procedures and answer any rocketry questions you may have.

Tour De Deuce and Deuce's Wild Fly-off

The two offical Deuce's Wild (DW) models of the Tour De Deuce https://fliskits.com/tour_de_deuce/ will be launched at the February 7th SEARS 572 launch in Headland Alabama. These models have been launched in Florida, New York, Virgina, Hawaii, Tennessee, Georgia and now Alabama. Eugenio Cebollero and Jason Toft, originators of the Tour De Deuce, will be in attendance.

As a bonus, SEARS 572 will attempt to set a national record for a mass launch of Deuce's Wild Rockets. So bring your DW. We would like to see a dozen. Current count is at least eight. A cluster launch system will be available for up to twelve DWs.

We also welcome flights of upscale, downscale, or other modifications of the Deuces Wild. Eugenio (EugeneFL), Jason (Jetra2), and Tim Mcqueen (Slim_t) of the The Rocketry Forum https://www.rocketryforum.com/ will bring several special DWs including 29mm upscale and a camera DWs.

Special message from Eugenio Cebollero

I am pleased to announce that in commemoration of the Deuce fly-off and the "Tour de Deuce" project the FlisKits Deuce's Wild! model rocket kit will be available and on sale at the Feb. 7th SEARS club launch. In addition to my personal collection of assembled FlisKits rockets that will be flown and on display, I will be bringing along 15 Deuces Wild! (brand new) kits to be sold at the advertised price of $12.95. The on-site sale of these kits at the SEARS launch presents a great opportunity for those rocketeers that have never tried a FlisKits model rocket to try one for themselves without having to spend money on the added cost of shipping. Or, they can pick up their 2nd or 3rd model to add to their collection!

This offer is limited, has been extended solely to the members and guests of the SEARS launch, and is made possible through Mr. Jim Flis [himself] of FlisKits, Inc.

Be sure to drop by and visit Jason T. and myself. We will be proudly displaying a "The Rocketry Forum" banner and US Flag.

See you next weekend!

Eugenio Cebollero
NAR #81161
TEAM "Tour de Deuce"

Directions: If you are traveling North on U.S 431 from Dothan, AL turn right at the first traffic light in Headland (this will be Henry County Road 22). If you are traveling South on U.S. 431 from Eufaula, AL you will turn left at the third traffic light in Headland (Henry County Road 22). Travel down County Road 22 for approximately 7 miles, the field will be on the right...we always have signs at intersections and at the entrance to the field.

From SW Georgia: Take GA 52 west thru Blakely and cross the Chattahoochee into Alabama. Ga 62
becomes AL 52. Go through Columbia, to the bottom of the hill, cross the
railroad, and start up the other side. Turn right onto Coumty 22. If you get to 95
south to Farley Nuclear plant you have just passed the turnoff. On county 22 go
about 7 miles. When you pass Pleasant Plains Baptist Church, slow down, the
entrance to the field is another three tenths of a mile on the left. Stay on
the one lane dirt track into the field. You will have a pasture on your right as
you start into the field. We will have a sign up.

Originally posted by LaneKG
Eugenio (EugeneFL), Jason (Jetra2), and Tim Mcqueen (Slim_t) of the The Rocketry Forum https://www.rocketryforum.com/ will bring several special DWs including 29mm upscale and a camera DWs.

Thanks for the mention, but you got my name mixed up.
It's Tim Breland, although Mcqueen is easier to pronounce.
Maybe I should change it. ;)

Tim Breland
Slim_t

man, this sounds like it's going to be a great launch! Wish I could get down there! Be sure to take LOTS of pix! Launch pix too! :)

To anyone planning on attending the SEARS launch this weekend:

Jason, my father, and I have decided we will stay the night on Saturday instead of making the drive back to Tampa. Being that the launch ends around 4-5PM, we were wondering if anyone from the local area would be game for meeting for an after-launch dinner at the local pizza restaurant or other sociable restaurant. We will be staying at the Days Inn in Dothan if anyone is interested in planning for something around that area. I know this is short notice, but I figured I'd toss it out there to see if anyone would like to stay and socialize afterwards.

Drop me a line via Email or feel free to give me a call.

Take care and see you all this weekend!

Eugene

YAHOO! It's tomorrow, it's tomorrow it's tomorrow! Wheee! I finally get to see my babies (the TDD kits) after they've been in the hands of total and complete strangers! EEEK! :eek: ;) Anyways, I thought I'd post a pic of the rockets I would be bringing.

In this picture, which, ironicaly, is the only one, you can see my kit Mustang (F40-7?), downscale Mustang (BabyStang, D12), signed Praetor (C6-3), upscale DW (E9's), Kit DW (B6's), Tres, (C6's), and slim_t, you'll be happy to hear that I'll be bringing my Terrier Sandhawk, so you can get a good look at it. I hope to fly it on 3 C6's to a D12-5. Hopefully it works just as good as the last time I flew it successfully!

See you all there!

Jason

We'll be departing Tampa in about 2 hours. Should be a good short 6.5 hr trip. Let's hope the rental car, hotel, and weather above all things works out.

See you all tomorrow!

sweeeet! :)

I'm trying to get my DW's painted so they'll look worthy to participate tomorrow. It's cold and wet outside so I'm not having a very good time with the paint. I've decided not to go with the paint schemes I had in mind, and instead just get some color on them for now. I'll have to finish them at a later date.
I'm not sure what all I'll bring. I'm more interested in seeing everything and getting lots of pics and video, so I may not fly much other than the DW's (kit and 24mm upscale).

I was able to get the digicam payload built for the upscale, so it should be interesting to see if it all works the way I want it to. When I get a chance I'll post some pics of the rocket.

Tim

TDD_AL_11up.jpg

NUFF SAID!!! Count 'em up baby - that's TEN Deuces taking to the skies over Alabama!!! (with one chuffing on the pad...)

See the Alabama/SEARS Tour de Deuce Photos <a href="https://sears572.com/gallery/Alabama_Tour_De_Deuce">HERE!!!</a>

I'll let the SEARS folks do the reporting. I just got in and am tired as heck. I also just discovered a new skin tone - RED! Ouch!

Originally posted by eugenefl
NUFF SAID!!! Count 'em up baby - that's TEN Deuces taking to the skies over Alabama!!! (with one chuffing on the pad...)

Great picture!!!!!! So is 10 Deuces at once a record? And who is going to top this event? I like the ideas about a Grand Finale......

Back