Touch up Paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“De-cant” some? You mean spray it at close range into something like a cottage cheese tub and make a little puddle? Then brush it on?
Yes, any small container can work. It won't take much paint so you can use a real small container like a bottle cap. Or you can put the fin on, smooth over the gaps with additional glue and some sanding, mask around the surroundings, and spray it.

I keep a stash of various colored "paint pens" for this purpose. Most of the colors are close enough to hide any repair work. They are available at Hobby Lobby and WalMart.

1644666288502.png

Decanting also works well in a pinch.

If you don't think you can match the color closely enough you could mask the joint and paint it black. So instead of hiding the defect you highlight it instead. I have done that and it looks pretty cool.

I keep a stash of various colored "paint pens" for this purpose. Most of the colors are close enough to hide any repair work. They are available at Hobby Lobby and WalMart.

View attachment 504284

Decanting also works well in a pinch.

I've got some of them too along with some colored permanent markers. No use getting too fussy any more for me. My heart has been broken to many times with doing good paint jobs only to have them ruined by landing in corn stubble plowed fields etc. Have had a few where the chutes did not collapse on landing and got dragged for a bit really messing up the paint job.

Use what ever type of paint you used to paint the rocket. If spray can then de-cant some to use with a brush.

Waltr does what I usually do -
I push a small baggie into a small mixing cup. You can get the cups at a Pharmacy
Spray the same can of paint you used on the model into the baggie -
Touch up your model with a clean brush.
Pull out the Baggie, zip it closed and throw in the trash.

A T Up Paint.jpg

Ditto on either teh de-can method or teh mask & repaint method. done both.

Depends on:
  • The amount of coverage needed
  • painting conditions (can you spray paint? or is it too cold / windy / humid / etc..)
  • Amount of masking required / complexity of masking required
  • etc...

There are many Youtube videos on how to decant spray paint. Many show how to decant an entire can (!) which we don't normally do here. But do check them out, it's quite entertaining and eye-opening.

My biggest suggestion for decanting paint is to do it through a straw or tube. It will eliminate the cloud of paint that will otherwise fly up out of the cup. I do a quick hack tape job to affix the straw to the nozzle (make sure it is aligned correctly!) and then spray. Done that way, it is very neat and quick, you could even do it inside. Only a quick spray is needed to get enough paint for significant touch-up work.

Back