Totally Tubular, Patriot, and the Navajo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
So since the day before Turkey Day, I have been well for 1 day...that was yesterday. So today I seem to be having a relapse into yet more Flu, and it is COLD outside, I decided to build.

In the 1st ten minutes of building, I finished a Quest Totally Tubular, a tube finned rocket, that comes pre-colored, and with stickers. This bird could be built at the field and flown inside of 30 minutes, have CA will travel...this should rock on a C6-7:D

Next up was the Estes re-release of the Patriot missile. This is the C motor version. Great and easy to build, my only complaint is that 1-fin was shorter than the rest right out of the packge, or 3-fins were longer, whatever...This rocket is having fillets done right now.

Then came a rocket I got a couple of years ago from my son...The Quest Navajo...2-stager!! No complaints here except that the motor hooks are very "cheesy" They are very flimsy, and I do not believe they will stand the test of time...never the less, what an awesome looking bird. This Rocket too is getting fillets.

A rocket I started last year and ended up shelving, is the Mercury Redstone, and I started chipping away at it again today as well.

Man I love the winter building season...I just hate being sick:mad:

Johnnie Paul

Originally posted by Johnnierkt

<SNIP>

Man I love the winter building season...I just hate being sick:mad:

Johnnie Paul

Well, they do say that laughter is the best medicine for illness. I'm sure there is a clause in there that pertains to the joys of building rockets. :)

Sounds like you're having a hoot making "woosh" noises at your nekkid rockets. Enjoy.....

The Rocket Doc' prescription: Build 2 rockets and call me in the morning :) Remember to buy from a preferred vendor if you have an HMP/PPO!

Hope you feel better soon!

I had to reply just to get this:

I am a ONE-YEAR Rocketryforum poster, posting my 200th post!!! woohoo, feel better now thats for sure.

I always feel good when I am building...you get that mind set going that puts you into your own world...a world unlike no other whether it be LPR, MPR, or HPR

Johnnie Paul

Hey Johnnierkt,

Don't load a C6-5 or 7 into that Quest Totally Tubular without some extra nose weight. That rocket is marginally stabe on a "B" motor and downright loopy on the C's. I believe there is another thread on that issue here, but you can look into the EMRR archives and find the review, there is a opinion at the end that tells you how to fix the problem.

Eager to see pics/Launch reports...

Goose

Originally posted by rstaff3
The Rocket Doc' prescription: Build 2 rockets and call me in the morning :) Remember to buy from a preferred vendor if you have an HMP/PPO!

Hope you feel better soon!

I like that prescription....... But what is HMP/PPO????

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
A rocket I started last year and ended up shelving, is the Mercury Redstone, and I started chipping away at it again today as well.

Johnnie Paul

I started a Redstone last winter my self. I got to the point that I needed to do some painting before continuing with it, and set it aside to finish in the spring. Well, I dug it out the other day, and decided to finish building it. But, it's been too cold and wet to go out side and paint, so, it's still where I left it last winter.

Originally posted by Goose_in_CO
Hey Johnnierkt,

Don't load a C6-5 or 7 into that Quest Totally Tubular without some extra nose weight. That rocket is marginally stabe on a "B" motor and downright loopy on the C's. I believe there is another thread on that issue here, but you can look into the EMRR archives and find the review, there is a opinion at the end that tells you how to fix the problem.

Eager to see pics/Launch reports...

Goose

Yep. I've seen the Custom Razor do the same on a C6.

David,

The escape tower was giving me fits today, that is where I have left it. The fins are done, and the motor mount is installed, and tomorrow I will join the 2 BT halves.

This is good though, soon I will have 3 airframes that need priming...The Navajo has the most intricate PJ, and it came with a bunch of wonderfull stickers that will make this 2-stager a looker.

Goose,

As for the C6 in the T. Tubular, I'll use silicone to hold a piece of clay in the nosecone...and she is still gonna rock! Thanks for the heads up on the unstable C in a Tubular.

I'm in my groove, preparing myself for the Deuces Wild, the Tres, the Richter Recker, and my Lazer X to come in from the mail...did I mention I'm really gonna enjoy this winter building season??

I have flown High Power for so long, I have forgotten what fun I always had building and flying "grassroots" rockets...Maybe I am a Re-Born Again Rocketeer (Re-B.A.R.?? nah) Re-bar, isn't that the metal rods used to reinforce concrete structures:rolleyes:

Johnnie Paul

Nice to see someone else building a Navaho AGM. I finished mine a couple of months ago. Those decals take a lot of patience to get on correctly. BTW, make sure you have some good eyes watching it fly, it will go out of sight quickly! :kill:

Yeah, the picture card can be deceiving for the size, this rocket built out very small. But what a looker...

This will be my 1st 2-stager, and I plan on starting low; B6-0 to B6, then let her rip on some C to C action, in Manchester, TN on that big sod farm in March.

Johnnie Paul

Back