Total eclipse coming, 8 April 2024!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Two years from yesterday. I'm excited because the center of totality passes over younger daughter's house in Carbondale, IL, just two hours from me! Coincidentally, the last one passed over her house too, so I was up there to watch it but clouds got in the way at the last minute.🤬 Check it out at the link.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8

Two years from yesterday. I'm excited because the center of totality passes over younger daughter's house in Carbondale, IL, just two hours from me! Coincidentally, the last one passed over her house too, so I was up there to watch it but clouds got in the way at the last minute.🤬 Check it out at the link.

Looks like it'll pass directly over me as well. I'll have to get set up to take pictures. Thanks for the advanced notice

Looks like my neighborhood is right on the edge of totality. I'll have to make sure I have the day off work and if it's clear, head a few miles south for the best view.

After seeing the last one from Madras, Oregon, well in the middle of the track of totality, we've been looking forward to the April 2024 eclipse. No idea, now, where we will go to see it — it's a road trip much further than Oregon for us (Seattle area). But it was an amazing sight....75% just isn't even in the same league.

The one in 2024 will have a little longer period of totality in most of the path that crosses US soil than the one in 2017 did.

Statistically the probability of a clear sky in Ohio where I live on April 8 is very low. Which is why I won't look forward to this. I will take the surprise though

89% totality with 70% change of cloudy skies.

Passes directly over my house too, but the odds that sky will be clear on April 8th in Buffalo NY are very low, which is why I will be driving a LONG way to embrace higher probability. In 2017 we drove from New York to Wyoming ... but we saw it!!!

Two years ago I called dibs on a room at a friend’s ranch in Texas. Just outside of totality.
M

I was living in KC in 2017, having it go totally dark was pretty wild. Looks like I'll be within the center of totality again this time up here in VT. :)

All I need to do is step outside. Same problem as jderimig though; cloudy Ohio sky.

I experienced totality during the last eclipse from my in-law's backyard in Greenville, SC. That is, honestly, one of the coolest things I've experienced in my whole life. On the way to SC from RI, I stopped at MDRA and earned my L2. It was an all-around awesome couple days.

I'm planning to take my wife and kids to VT to experience it again in 2024.

After seeing the last one from Madras, Oregon, well in the middle of the track of totality, we've been looking forward to the April 2024 eclipse. No idea, now, where we will go to see it — it's a road trip much further than Oregon for us (Seattle area). But it was an amazing sight....75% just isn't even in the same league.

The one in 2024 will have a little longer period of totality in most of the path that crosses US soil than the one in 2017 did.

My free flight club had a contest outside Tangent, OR the two days before the eclipse. Quite a few of us stayed over camped on the field. I spent the morning trimming planes in perfect weather, experienced the eclipse which blew my mind, and flew the rest of the day so I wouldn't have as much traffic going home. Great Day!

My free flight club had a contest outside Tangent, OR the two days before the eclipse. Quite a few of us stayed over camped on the field. I spent the morning trimming planes in perfect weather, experienced the eclipse which blew my mind, and flew the rest of the day so I wouldn't have as much traffic going home. Great Day!
Boy, you can’t beat that!

Avis and I stayed in our 20 foot X 20 foot campsite on the Madras airport, sipping wine, while we watched people try to leave the airport for hours. Some of them started trying to leave right after totality was over. We didn’t go until the next day. Even then there was quite a bit of traffic and it took some creativity to get back home.

We are actually in the line of totality!

So here is the big question. How many clubs in the totality are going to have a launch right at the peak of darkness?

If a total eclipse occurs on an overcast day, wouldn’t it still get very dark?

We are actually in the line of totality!

So here is the big question. How many clubs in the totality are going to have a launch right at the peak of darkness?

A launch on the day would be cool. I wouldn't launch during totality though. It's an amazing experience and I wouldn't want any distractions while it is happening.

A launch on the day would be cool. I wouldn't launch during totality though. It's an amazing experience and I wouldn't want any distractions while it is happening.
Launching a sun-seeker with a forward facing camera would be the only acceptable rocket launch in my eyes.

Boy, you can’t beat that!

Avis and I stayed in our 20 foot X 20 foot campsite on the Madras airport, sipping wine, while we watched people try to leave the airport for hours. Some of them started trying to leave right after totality was over. We didn’t go until the next day. Even then there was quite a bit of traffic and it took some creativity to get back home.

A friend left right after totality thinking he could beat some of the traffic. He lives in Redmon, WA. They were stuck in traffic the whole way home. I flew the rest of the day. Had a nice dinner at a restaurant then drove home. One slowdown on the highway and made it home in 5 hours which is 30 minutes longer than normal. I beat my friend home by two hours and he was travelling all day! The traffic was epic for them.

That would be seriously cool.

My wife and I will be on the ground in Mazatlán hoping the weather is good enough on April 8th to see it. Having experienced a total eclipse once before (as noted further up this thread) all I can say is there is no other experience like it.

I agree get your glasses now. For the last one I bought mine at Lowes. I know Office Depot carried them then and Staples carries them now. Check out several of your local stores if you are in the path of totality .

Back