Top Flight parachute question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam3836

Reaction score
Question with Top Flight Parachutes

I have heard a lot about Top Flight but never bought one yet.

Iam looking to buy a 36inch nylon chute for my madcow PAC3 -4 inch HPR

my question is I see top flight has there standard nylon chutes which are a good price and they have crossfire chutes which if I understand are alittle more beefy.
Would the standard be fine for HPR rocket or is the cross fire chute the way to go ?

thanks
Adam

I have used TFR's Ultra-X-Type, Standard Nylon and their Thin Mill chutes and have never had an issue with them. Their standard chutes are more than adequate for MPR/HPR. But, if you do not mind the extra packing volume & slightly higher weight, the Crossfire line of chutes are nearly indestructible. And TFR's Ultra-X chutes are great for drogue duties. You can get really small Ultra-X chutes (12" 16" & 20") exclusively at OneBadHawk's site.

I bought a crossfire chute once from TF just to evaluate it and was impressed by the ultra-strong construction. It uses webbing for the shroudlines and very strong nylon fabric. But it’s very bulky and relatively heavy, so I would only consider it for a drogue chute or if I anticipated frequent late ejection firings that might shred a lightweight chute.

I have had good luck with the TFR standard and x type chutes, I also have a few of the thin mill chutes.

I used TFR standard 18" x type and 70" standard main for my L2 rocket, 4" MC sDx3 and the chutes perform as expected. I have sewed kevlar loops to tie the shroud lines together to a snap swivel.

My daughters MC Torrent built to be light and our largest park flier on a 38mm G and uses a TFR 45" thin mill chute. At a HP launch I had a HD recovery harness and JLCR for a AT I 327 DM flight. The rocket pressure separated with a gut wrenching noise as the airframe turned 90° at 450 mph just after motor burnout. The bundle came out, the JLCR hit the fin and shattered. The 45" TFR thin mill chute opened and bent the 200lb fishing swivle straight separating it from the recovery harness. I drove out to the field and picked up the undamaged chute and fixed the swivel, amazing.

I recently had a drag separation at around 600mph. My 36" standard TF drogue shredded (so did the Nomex blankets). While falling it reached terminal velocity at around 110mph and deployed the main, which was a 58" standard TF. It surprisingly held together and shows zero damage from the violent deployment. The rocket suffered a bad zipper, but that $35 TF chute was strong enough to save my rocket, casing, electronics, and more importantly provide a slow and safe touch down. I have a new respect for the quality of these chutes and for the price, its hard to beat. I will be ordering a Ultra-X to replace my drogue.

i have their cross-fire chutes in my Caliber and WM Drago-4, and their ultra-X form in my HV Arcas.

use their smaller standard and thin-mil chutes in my low power rockets.

fantastic parachutes. really cannot say enough about them.

The Crossfires have a CD higher than the standard chutes so you can use a smaller chute than a regular one. I have their regular chutes and their X- Forms and Crossfires. Haven't tried the Thin Mil.

Seems like Top Flight is full quality
I will try there standard chute first
My hpr is a 38mm gonna fly H and I with it for now
Thanks for all the info everyone

The value for the money cannot be beat. I have not had any issues with Top Flight chutes. I use an 84" standard chute on one of my 15 lb HPR rockets. They can also be packed into a fairly small space for their size.

Done ordered the top flight standard 36in nylon lime green chute
Thanks again all for your input

My 4” Frenzy XL flies with a 30” drogue and a 84” main. Both are standard chutes from top flight. Also been caught in a couple trees with these chutes, but they’re still going strong after eight or nine flights.

I have used TFR's Ultra-X-Type, Standard Nylon and their Thin Mill chutes and have never had an issue with them. Their standard chutes are more than adequate for MPR/HPR. But, if you do not mind the extra packing volume & slightly higher weight, the Crossfire line of chutes are nearly indestructible. And TFR's Ultra-X chutes are great for drogue duties. You can get really small Ultra-X chutes (12" 16" & 20") exclusively at OneBadHawk's site.
My 4” Frenzy XL flies with a 30” drogue and a 84” main. Both are standard chutes from top flight. Also been caught in a couple trees with these chutes, but they’re still going strong after eight or nine flights.
Thanks for the info on the smaller Ultra-X chutes from OneBadHawk. Just ordered a 12" black and gold one to use as a drogue chute.

Thanks for the info on the smaller Ultra-X chutes from OneBadHawk. Just ordered a 12" black and gold one to use as a drogue chute.

Comon mannn..

It's Onebadhawk.. lol..

Your chutes in transit now Dave..

Thank you very much..

I'm certain you'll be quite pleasantly surprised when you see it..
These drogues are made specially for me by Top Flite..
I told them I don't just want a drogue that can withstand being dragged through the air at over 100 fps,,
I wanted an indestructible drogue..

Wait'll you see what they make for me,, lol..

Teddy

Back