Top 5 Scale Models

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Titan III - any of various payload configurations
Ariane 4/5
BOMARC
Nike Ajax
Mercury Atlas
Vostok/Soyuz
N-1

I'm a big fan of scale rockets. I built my Estes Saturn 1B over the winter, also built an Estes V-2 immediately after. The real V-2 had so much nice surface detail, including the fin fairings, that a 3D printed one would be nice. The Estes Maxi V-2 has nice detail, but tough to find.

I'll echo the comments prelviously from Oberon, about a Pershing. I've got resin parts for a 4" model but they weigh a ton.

Finally, not scale, but I just finished a Mars Lander. Those upper paper shrouds were a pain. I'd love to see the body as a 3D part, or parts, to go with conventionally built legs.

AIM-9M
AIM-9X
AIM-7M
AIM-120A/B or C
AGM-65
AGM-88

I've not seen many air to air or air to ground missile produced and the ones out there just don't cut it when it comes to scale. If it's not the physical characteristics then it's the decal/markings set that are jacked up. I worked in 3 different US Air Force missile shops during my almost 18 year career so not only would I love to see an accurate kit but I also know exactly what to look for as well. I've been (slowly) working on a Launchpad AIM-9 kit and turning it into a scale build. I recently had one of my buddies send me copies of the 21M-AIM9M-2 technical order that shows all of the markings and where they are positioned as well as the correct paint colors. Hopefully one day I'll get it finished and rock the best AIM-9M scale rocket.

There might have been a time when I could give a straight answer to this question, but now I really am just looking for things that are weird and different. Like some of the NACA aerodynamic test flights, or Project Vector, with the square payload. Or weird, interesting versions of rockets everyone already knows, like a V-2 with a 10-degree cone plopped on top (I've only seen descriptions, no pictures), or the PEPP Aeroshell. There are so many possibilities...

The Soviet rockets (Soyuz, etc) have different shapes from the standard tubes so would make kits which are harder to scratchbuild.

All mine have already been mentioned (and, at one time or another, kitted): Gemini-Titan II, Nike Hercules, Bomarc, Aerobee, Perishing.

Actually, any sounding rocket has my interest.

Mark

Taking this old thread in new direction, considering all the winning NARAM scale models over the last 60+ years, what are the five greatest of all time?

Last edited:
I had not seen the thread before but I will take the input in future semi-scale kit development... So far I have created / launched --

Semi-Scale Builders Kits
  • R-360 Neptune (BT-60/BT-80)
  • CIM-10 Bomarc (BT-60)
  • Rheintochter R1 (BT-80)
  • Fritz-X (BT-60)
  • Snecma C-450 Coléoptère (BT-60)
  • M1147 AMP Tank Round (BT-80/BT-50)
  • English Electric Thunderbird (BT-55/BT-20)
  • F-104 Starfighter (BT-60)
  • AGM-12C Bullpup B (BT-80)
  • Atlas V 401, 551, Starliner (BT-60/BT-80/BT-55/BT-20) [In Progress]
Inspired-By Semi-Scale Builder Kits
  • A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog) (BT-60)
  • P-38 Lightning (BT-60/BT-55) [In Progress]
Science Fiction Semi-Scale Builder Kits
  • Thunderbird 3 (BT-60/BT-80/BT-50)
  • Tau Zero Leonora Christine (BT-60) [In Progress]

Sorry Gentleman, A series of major health surgeries knocked me out for the past year. Fortunately, I'm back on my feet and in good spirits.

Now, back to business.

So far, here is my list

No. 1 - Nike-Zeus - Conventional build with a SLA interstage and SLA or molded nose cone.
No. 2 - Nike-Ajax - Conventional build with a SLA interstage and maybe SLA upper stage fins.
No. 3 - Nike-Hercules - Skill Level 5 build with many custom SLA parts
No. 4 - Gemini-Titan II - Conventional build with SLA or molded capsule. Also with all manned flight water decals and mylar skins.
Not sure on how to design the cluster. Maybe two different end units. One for display. One for flight and a clear fin unit?
No. 5 - Bomarc B (Gray Operational Units)- I have access to a restoration project for a Bomarc B in Florida. Maybe a super detailed version all fiberglass build. $$$ Okay, maybe a lot more $$$$

Runner Ups

No. 6 - Phoenix AIM-54C
No. 7 - Patriot MIM-104A
No. 8 - Talos RIM-8G
No. 9 - Standard Missile RIM-66 / Extended Range MIM-67B
No. 10 - McDonnell Douglas Delta Series

Points of interest:

- Kit production will be limited to 20 kits each.

- Information on each kit will be announced around the 1st of each month 2023. I hope to have a web page by the end of the month detailing the designing and building of each kit. I want to emulate Apogee's progress announcements when he did his Saturn V and 1B. (No longer online)

- For maximum detailing, I will probably scale the kits up to either a 3in or 4in tubing. The kits will be designed for mid-power engines.

- With me being a one man operation, production of the kits will be fluid at best with maybe a runner up thrown in the mix.

- A major push for the Nike missiles will be set for Thanksgiving 2023, with the balance due in the 1st quarter 2024.

Please comment and let me know if I'm heading off in the right direction.

Thanks,

Keith

Sorry Gentleman, A series of major health surgeries knocked me out for the past year. Fortunately, I'm back on my feet and in good spirits.

- For maximum detailing, I will probably scale the kits up to either a 3in or 4in tubing. The kits will be designed for mid-power engines.

- With me being a one man operation, production of the kits will be fluid at best with maybe a runner up thrown in the mix.

- A major push for the Nike missiles will be set for Thanksgiving 2023, with the balance due in the 1st quarter 2024.

Please comment and let me know if I'm heading off in the right direction.

Thanks,

Keith
Keith,

Welcome back . . . Glad to see you posting again !

Speaking of "NIKE's", here is one that I would love to see, but dimensioned drawings are, at least at the present, unavailable.

NIKE ZEUS A . . . a scale model with an Upper Stage diameter of 3" - 3.1" would be AMAZING !

Dave F.

1962Rockets&MissilesUK06.jpg105680-dfd4c76267148af44f7dc3de4650a3c6 - FOR SCALING.jpgcolor.jpgimg_39_22210_6.jpgLAUNCH - 1 - 8 X 10.jpgLAUNCH - 2 - 8 X 10.jpgdm-15a-image04.jpgnza 07.jpgoriginal photo.jpgs-l1600-6 -8 X 10.jpgYOUTUBE-8.JPGYOUTUBE-9.JPGYOUTUBE-16.JPGYOUTUBE-17.JPGYOUTUBE-19.JPG

Attachments

• 8452107240_ea4df28426_k - BOOSTER FOR SCALING.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 36791-c35980505acf1471fc488589f606a6e9 - LARGE.jpg
    36791-c35980505acf1471fc488589f606a6e9 - LARGE.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1
Keith,

Welcome back . . . Glad to see you posting again !

Speaking of "NIKE's", here is one that I would love to see, but dimensioned drawings are, at least at the present, unavailable.

NIKE ZEUS A . . . a scale model with an Upper Stage diameter of 3" - 3.1" would be AMAZING !

Dave F.

Thought of it. Looks to be an easy build.

Some Issues:

Issue #1: Lack of drawings or scale data. I do have some contacts that could look into it for me. One at the Air & Space Museum in Huntsville and a couple at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. I'll send an e-mail to them this weekend. I could also ask my Russian counterparts. Apparently, their scale data is way better than our for US missiles.

Issue #2: Fin area at the upper stage may be too great for a stable flight (two stage version) and fin alignment may be an issue for most modelers. A LOT of simulations will need to be carried out to see if a stable model could be constructed were the weight would stay under 3lbs.

Does anyone know if any are on display anywhere? If so, I have a ultra hi-definition scanner that could get the data from.

I've also found some software that I could possibly get measurements from. I'll check them out and give you an update soon.

Keith

Last edited:
Hello Again,

Looking to build the Nike-Spartan. Centered around a 2.635" main body.

I want to get as much input from the scale/sport scale community.

Question: How much detail do you want? With Exotic Lightweight and Strong ABS like resins, the SLA machines are now incredible with the detailing. Nose cone, interstage adaptor and upper stage fins are a definite. Mid fins and lower fins not sure.

Scale: ~1/16

Model Length: ~40in

Weight: TBD

Motor Selection: most likely F & G

1684287592411.png
I can create a super-scale model based off this information and hope to produce a kit on par with North Coast Rocketry Argo D4 Javelin. BTW - North Coast Kits are extremally detailed and a breeze to put together. Well Done Matt.

If only a limited run were produced, such as Roachworks Nike-Hercules, would you want that type of building and kit. Or would you want the Argo D4 type build and kit.

BTW - A Nike-Spartan is on display at the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville. Anyone up a road trip. I live in Atlanta, Ga.

Thanks,

Keith

Attachments

• 1684287990363.png
    1684287990363.png
    202.7 KB · Views: 0
Hello Again,

Looking to build the Nike-Spartan. Centered around a 2.635" main body.

I want to get as much input from the scale/sport scale community.

Question: How much detail do you want? With Exotic Lightweight and Strong ABS like resins, the SLA machines are now incredible with the detailing. Nose cone, interstage adaptor and upper stage fins are a definite. Mid fins and lower fins not sure.

Scale: ~1/16

Model Length: ~40in

Weight: TBD

Motor Selection: most likely F & G

View attachment 581007
I can create a super-scale model based off this information and hope to produce a kit on par with North Coast Rocketry Argo D4 Javelin. BTW - North Coast Kits are extremally detailed and a breeze to put together. Well Done Matt.

If only a limited run were produced, such as Roachworks Nike-Hercules, would you want that type of building and kit. Or would you want the Argo D4 type build and kit.

BTW - A Nike-Spartan is on display at the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville. Anyone up a road trip. I live in Atlanta, Ga.

Thanks,

Keith
You might want some higher resolution drawings . . .

Dave F.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPGBW - 001.jpgBW - 002.jpgBW - 003.jpgBW - 004.jpgBW - 005.jpgBW - 006.jpgBW - 007.jpg

Thanks Dave for the photos. I thought that the data was for the Nike-Zeus but was for the Nike-Spartan. Since scale data for the Nike-Zeus is scarce, how would the scale community like a sport scale version based on the prototypes and final production in the same scale and quality as the Nike-Zeus. I can get pretty darn close based off the photos but will not be able to list it a scale model since I'll have no data to go by.

Thanks Dave for the photos. I thought that the data was for the Nike-Zeus but was for the Nike-Spartan. Since scale data for the Nike-Zeus is scarce, how would the scale community like a sport scale version based on the prototypes and final production in the same scale and quality as the Nike-Zeus. I can get pretty darn close based off the photos but will not be able to list it a scale model since I'll have no data to go by.
Actually, there was NIKE ZEUS A, NIKE ZEUS B / NIKE ZEUS, & SPARTAN . . .

NIKE ZEUS A

1962Rockets&MissilesUK06.jpg

NIKE ZEUS B

West_Point_Cadets_and_Nike_Zeus - 150 dpi.jpg

SPARTAN

221e.jpg

Back