Top 5 most desired low power rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I was wondering what some might consider the top 5 best model rockets. Could be design or style or just the way she flys but what would be your top 5 all time best most desired rockets LP

thanks in advance

Adam

Estes Astron Streak - Not really a top 5 best, but it was my first rocket, circa 1962/63. Received it in the mail from a mystery donor. Had to make some kind of launcher. The long side of a wire coat hanger. Hammered in and removed a nail from a 10" length of scrap 1x8, somehow managed to get the coat hanger "launch rod" in the hole. Couldn't afford electrical equipment to set off the nichrome coil ignitor so, after school (4th grade), I took the "launcher", 1/4 A.8-2 engine and pretty ugly rocket to an isolated small park, slid the rocket down the "rod" onto the board and proceeded to use kitchen matches to start the motor. Only managed to burn up the rocket! Built another much nicer one when I was several years older and promptly lost it!

Estes WAC Corporal - This was my second rocket and the first that I really took some care with to build. Learned how to mask for painting and made a pretty good looking 10-year-old boy model rocket. I had finally saved up enough for an Estes "Electro-Launch 2" but still couldn't get the electrical right. But I still had some Jetex Wick which allowed me to witness my very first model rocket launch, again a 1/4 A.8-2. Was thrilled and hooked forever! Have built two more WAC Corporals over the years, both eventually lost. I count this as one of the 5 best.

Estes Ranger - Great introduction to clustering.

Estes Arcas - Good flyer, always elicited some "Oooh"s or "Wow!"s from spectators.

Estes V-2 - Still have this one. The one that flies on a single "D". It's a little worn now from so many flights. People nearby really like this one, too.

Estes Mars Lander - After several unimpressive flights with "C" engines, I modified it to accept "D" engines for some really great launches! My wife made a custom nylon parachute for it. Changed the shock cord mount and mounting position to make it descend at a more vertical attitude to give it a better chance at "sticking" the landing. My wife accidentally threw it and other bits of "old rocket stuff" out with the trash.

There have been many more, mostly of my own design, but never using anything bigger than a cluster of "D" engines. Speaking of "D" engines, does anyone remember the Estes D13's? I had made a beautiful Cherokee-D and the engine cato'd, ripping up the model just a few feet off the launcher. I might still have one of the fins and the nose cone. Still have a couple of unfired D13's in my old range box.

My 6 year old son begged me to dig the rockets out from his grandparents house (the ones left from my childhood and a brief re-entry into the hobby in college, already nearing 20 years ago.

I can only comment on rockets that I remember by name from back when, but here's some favorites (all are Estes)

*Starbird (mine was painted silver instead of the box art yellow, looked like something right out of early Sci-Fi to me, lost when it had its THIRD fail to eject charge and the tube ripped too far to just trim and re-attach shock cord, RIP)
*Helio Copter (lost the first one I had to a fail to eject, nose dived into the top of the high school. RIP. I have another one I built up but never flew, going to keep it unflown)
*Eggspress (built as a teenager but never flew it. I was BAD at spray painting but it's got an old school vibe, it's on my favorites list just for its looks. May keep it unflown not sure)
*Alpha (had one I painted up all nice and had several great flights, last of which I got to watch it drift off into the sunset when winds kicked up unexpectedly, RIP)
*SR-71 (still have it but it's not flyable, fail to eject... I see a trend)

Honorable mention (only because I don't know its name):
The first rocket I had (complete with launch pad and electronics) was made by Estes, had a piggy back glider that I think they called the hitch-hiker... I want to say the rocket itself was called Discovery or something to that nature. It was E2X before they had such a thing, no paint required on the tube (white), the tail section was in one piece (yellow)... I have an Estes Maniac that is basically the exact same rocket except takes D motors when the old one only took Cs, and the colors are different. The glider was what made it fun, but it wore out to the point where it wouldn't stay on the rocket anymore and then the rocket had... you guessed it... a fail to eject and destroyed itself when it lawn darted in. I still have the tail can, a section of the body tube and the glider in my bin of parts. I'll eventually grab a motor mount and make something new with that and other broken rocket parts.

The truth is, I like about every rocket I've ever had, those are just the ones that stick in my mind the most.

Of all the old rockets, only a handful didn't have unusable shock cords, but we still managed a decent afternoon of flying yesterday. The MVP from yesterday was the "RAZOR" from Custom Rockets. A few truly excellent flights on C6-5s. Also sent an Estes Gnome to the moon on an A10-3T. Went instantly out of sight, found it a couple hours later, haha.

The most amazing thing about yesterday's flying? All the engines were in my range box since college. No malfunctions. Guess "shelf life" really is about forever.

I've bought an RTF Klima Pegasus as my first rocket. Wary of jumping the gun too quick but already thinking about my first kitbuild, nothing too adventurous just to get the hang of skills, tempted by a Viking. Although big rockets are rather nice and the Klima Solar Flare is rather tempting; 5 feet tall and a 4x cluster. Mmmmm....

I've bought an RTF Klima Pegasus as my first rocket. Wary of jumping the gun too quick but already thinking about my first kitbuild, nothing too adventurous just to get the hang of skills, tempted by a Viking. Although big rockets are rather nice and the Klima Solar Flare is rather tempting; 5 feet tall and a 4x cluster. Mmmmm....

The Viking is a great first build, so is the Alpha. I'd suggest an Alpha honestly. It seems overdone but I'm going to build another one someday soon.

I have also considered an Alpha as it's kind of a standard.
I'm a big fan of going slightly bigger. Easier to fly low when needed, easier to see, easier to pack parachute.

Examples: Der Red Max, Big Bertha, Baby Bertha, Citation Patriot, regular Patriot, etc. All just fins and a nose cone, equivalent builds. None of these are gonna set altitude records, if you know what I mean.

Big rockets are rather cool. Rocket gliders attract me but too complex/easy to lose/crash for my liking at my novice stage. Some scratch builds we impressive, especially the sci fi models (a dream of love to fulfil one day but need to learn first).

1. Any kit from Sirius Rocketry
2. Scale kits from ASP
3. (don’t yell at me) Cluster kits from US Rocketry or ACE
4. FSI scale kits
5. Shrox designed models

Centuri Honest John
Centuri Groove Tube
Centuri Hummingbird
Centuri Screaming Eagle

Also loved the Cox Honest John, Estes Honest John, and any other HoJo I can get my hands on!

Hmmm...

Good question... Some won't be a surprise

Estes Nike Ajax
Estes ASM (thank you estes for re-issue)
Estes Interceptor (thank you again estes for the re-issue)
Estes Big Bertha (first rocket, bought from DC A&S Museum waaay back when)
Estes Beta

fm

ps. honorable mentions - Estes Blue Bird Zero, Estes DRM, Estes AlphaIII,

Starfire,
X-24Bug,
Flying Saucer-UFO,
I don't know if I can think of more, to bring the total to five. But, these were always special to me!

Have you built either of the SBR HoJos yet? They look mighty nice.
Yes, the SBR HoJo is perhaps the most scale-accurate version of the Honest John currently available along with the Boyce Aerospace version.

The Honest John is attractive to modelers for a variety of reasons. It was America's first nuclear-capable rocket, it was a free-flight rocket like our own models without any guidance once fired, and it's profile is striking to look at.

One other thing that I love about the weapon is that it was never used by the United States in combat. During days like these, I'm all in favor of weapons of war that can still represent peace.

I realize that the Viper has now been reissued in two sizes. I only live about 10 miles from the company's store. I also got the Centuri X-24 Bug plans from a thread on this site. I'll build the "Bug" in its original size, then I'll enlarge the plans to take a slightly larger size engine.

Funny you should mention scale looking rockets. While my list above are my favorite Estes rockets, my favorite scale Estes rockets are the Sandhawk and Black Brant, followed closely by the HoJo. But I read a ton of science fiction as a kid, so the futuristic models that Estes had really held my imagination. I'm sure like many, the Interceptor is my all time favorite. While a bear to build, once it had all those decals applied, it was exactly the dream machine of every 1960's kid.

Tony
Hi Tony, I have an Estes sandhawk kit available. PM if interested.
Joe

Estes Mercury Atlas
Estes USS Atlantis
Centuri Buck Rogers Starfighter
Estes Starfighter combo( snuck in two in one)
Estes Bomarc(2parachute recovery not glider)

So many great rockets. I have rebuilt or first time built some of my favorites during the epidemic

Old favorites:

Orbital Transport
Astron Explorer (closest to the trident that's available)
Mercury Redstone - The tower may be plastic but it is no cake walk
Mars Lander - Never had, always wanted, currently building. What a marvelous little piece of engineering.
Astron Sprite
Gryphon

New builds, new favs:
Big Daddy
Low Boom SST

I have a bunch of scratch built that I hobbled together from a couple of Estes designers specials.

The best flyer is a scratch built minimum diameter 3 stage. C6-O, B6-0, A8-5. 1/2 oz. in the nose and she's otta' site, baby.

Estes Orbital Transport
Centuri Nike Smoke
Estes Citation Series Bomarc with glide recovery
Estes Interceptor
Estes Nighthawk

Those are my most desired and the ones I remember that I really enjoyed flying.

How about:
Estes Dude
Estes original all plastic X-15
Estes Pop Fly
Estes Leaper
Estes Wacky Wiggler

(Just kidding......with the ones listed above!)
Here's my real list. These rockets may not be the most glamorous, but I have fond memories of some of them. Others I admired but (as a kid) were either to expensive or wouldn't have worked in my small launch field. (On a side note....I still have my X-15).
Estes Quasar (still remember assembling my original and being frustrated by the wrinkles in the wrapper, but even with the wrinkles it sure was pretty....)
Estes Avenger (always admired its classic lines)
Estes Mini Bertha (only came to appreciate this one as an adult after it was long out of production...really like it's 70's decor and cute size)
Centuri ThunderRoc (loved this kit, but sadly lost it to a power line)
Estes original Maxi Brutes (especially V-2 & Pershing (hope these cou

LPR: Alpha,Big Bertha, Protostar, Cherokee D, Lil' Thor and just because... Mars Longship.

MPR: Sirius Eradicator, Nano Magg, Aerotech Arreauxbee-HI, Any LOC Park Flyer, Mach1 BT60 Daedelus.

Back