3D Printing Tools I recommend for 3d Printer Fanatics.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep my pipe cutter in the drawer close to the printer because it has a deburring blade. Sometimes handy for cleaning up where the support material was.

One more:

For calipers, I personally recommend these: EZ-Cal by iGaging. My favorite thing is that is will do fractions of inches for those folks that refuse to convert to metric.

RC car tool kits usually have all of the actual tools you might need at around $25-40. This basic set has hex drivers, screwdrivers, some even have wrenches, good pair of needle-nose pliers.......

RC car tool kits usually have all of the actual tools you might need at around $25-40. This basic set has hex drivers, screwdrivers, some even have wrenches, good pair of needle-nose pliers.......
@cwbullet This kit looks really good for those people who haven't acquired any tools yet. It seems to have all the right sizes for assembling/adjusting most printers.

I really like this multimeter. It is less than $25 and works for what I need. A multimeter is a must! It is much better than that Harbor Freight crap.

I really like this multimeter. It is less than $25 and works for what I need. A multimeter is a must! It is much better than that Harbor Freight crap.
Okay, so I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to multimeters. As a ham radio operator, I was taught that Fluke makes the best. I like this multimeter for 3D printing, as it includes a thermometer probe. Only goes up to 400C, but that should be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calipers - after going thru a couple of pairs of Chinese digital calipers in the last several years I finally got a genuine Mitutoyo 8" unit, model 500-197-30. Night and day difference in repeatability to .0005 and never losing counts and battery life ("off" is actually off, not just blanking the display). It also has an absolute encoder so it remembers its position. Be careful, Amazon is full of counterfeits; Travers Tool is a reputable source - you can buy from them thru Amazon at lower price than direct: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3UA89C Of course I am also doing machinist type work where the high accuracy is helpful. For less expensive/accurate ones I've actually found the HF Pittsburgh brand ones to be perfectly acceptable, better than my other cheap ones.

Multimeters - I'm with John, my Fluke is 20+ years old and still going strong.

Inspection - last year I scoured eBay and scored a vintage Olympus stereo 7-40x zoom microscope in near mint condition. Real Japanese optics and fantastic for my less-than-new eyeballs, 1/10th the cost of new ones. Also great for debugging those Eggfinder boards.

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to multimeters. As a ham radio operator, I was taught that Fluke makes the best. I like this multimeter for 3D printing, as it includes a thermometer probe. Only goes up to 400C, but that should be enough.

I agree 100% but $139-180 might be a lot for a hobby. I do live my Fluke 117.

I have 5 Flukes in various places around the Furtman Farm. Rock solid. I was given 3 of them that were military surplus and had just been calibrated. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. :headspinning:

I found these FLIR devices. They are expensive. Concerning the accuracy of the measured values, they are certainly inferior to the very expensive professional devices, but I think they are sufficient for 3D printing.

FLIR make three of these units for 3 different connector types. The USB-C for Android in the FLIR One Gen 3, the FLIR Pro LT, and the FLIR Pro. It is also available in lightening connector for IOS is the same FLIR One Gen3, the FLIR Pro FR, and FLIR Pro. There is also a micro USB version of the Pro LT.

Make sure you order the right type.

I highly recommend Element fire extinguishers. They cost a bit more, but they last longer and are easier to use than traditional ABC pressurized bottles.

G

Get a HALON fire extinguisher...you do NOT want a dry chemical type, they are extremely messy. You want to put out the fire, you don't want to damage all sorts of other nearby stuff.
another alternative would be a CO2 fire extinguisher. NEVER use water...

BTW: I used to be a firefighter...

At the cidery/distillery, I put them by the door. Our first rule is make sure you can get out. Then get help coming. Then decide if it’s appropriate to try to fight.

Foam extinguisher for alcohol. It may be a flammable liquid - but it’s water miscible. With a dry chemical mounted next to it.
At the regular job, it’s usually a halon /purple K pair by the door - but it does depend on what they do in any given lab.

Get a HALON fire extinguisher...you do NOT want a dry chemical type, they are extremely messy. You want to put out the fire, you don't want to damage all sorts of other nearby stuff.
another alternative would be a CO2 fire extinguisher. NEVER use water...

BTW: I used to be a firefighter...
Not certain you can buy Halon extinguishers. They were replaced with halotron. Given enough heat, halon can produce phosgene gas. Think WW1.

Back