3D Printing Tools I recommend for 3d Printer Fanatics.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I've seen it mentioned - needle files. I have several cheap sets for our lost-wax casting work. I find them far easier to use for post-print model finishing than sanding. Lots of shapes to pick from.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned - needle files. I have several cheap sets for our lost-wax casting work. I find them far easier to use for post-print model finishing than sanding. Lots of shapes to pick from.

Great idea: Something like this? File set?

Another suggestion:

I have to agree that a heat gun is essential. That blob surrounding your hotend needs cleaning and one of these will help you remove it without damaging the wires or hardware.

:
image-3.png

I own 2:
  1. Portal Cable Heat Gun
  2. ZeopoCase Mini Hot Gun
For 3D printing, I prefer the small one.

I am looking at buying another one: the Tacklife Mini Heat Gun. I need a second one to take to the field to do shrink wrap and it looks interesting and has really positive reviews. Does anyone else have any suggested tools?

Do yourself a big favor...Get a PEI sheet. I have printed dozens of parts in PLA and PETG and not even touched the surface. I did put a layer of purple glue stick on because PETG can stick too hard. You get an extremely smooth surface too. Once in a blue moon I wipe it down... But I prefer drinking my IPA and not real fond of Blue Moon...

ipa.jpg

Do yourself a big favor...Get a PEI sheet. I have printed dozens of parts in PLA and PETG and not even touched the surface. I did put a layer of purple glue stick on because PETG can stick too hard. You get an extremely smooth surface too. Once in a blue moon I wipe it down... But I prefer drinking my IPA and not real fond of Blue Moon...

View attachment 420912

This is not the IPA you are looking for,

No doubt, but my experience is limited to my Prusa and soon to be full bear, although I am undecided on what extruder and print head combo to use.

Which ones are you considering? I could do a little write-up?

I am going to post another:

One tool that is a must is a good nozzle wrench. I have several.

1. FSYETC Printer Upgrade Wrench: I do nto like this one. I have found it clumsy.
  2. 3d Printer Tool Kit & Nozzles: I like this one, but it is not my top pick. It works well on V6 hotends.
  3. Aibecy Hotend + Wrench: I love the hotend tool and insulated wrench handle. This is probably #2 on my list.
  4. Aluminum Small Cross Wrenches: These little wrenches are one of the most useful tied for number 1. I like the ability to put an Allen wrench through the side holes to get a larger grip.
  5. Aluminum 7mm wrench: Great little tool. Probably number 3 on my list.
  6. Slice Engineering Nozzle Wrench: Geat on the mosquito. It is amazing and will work on V6 with an adaptor. #1 on my list.
  7. The Olsson Tool: I use this with my Ruby.
What wrenches do you use?

I looked at the Olfa knife. Now Olfa sounds Scandahoovian to me but the packaging in Japanese. Go figure.

Good shout! I picked up a couple of #1 Excel hobby knives a few months back after years of using the cheaper variants. I seriously wonder why I've been wasting money on the knock-off's after now trying the real McCoy. An absolute must in anyone's toolbox. Just wish genuine Excel blades were more easily obtainable over here.

Good shout! I picked up a couple of #1 Excel hobby knives a few months back after years of using the cheaper variants. I seriously wonder why I've been wasting money on the knock-off's after now trying the real McCoy. An absolute must in anyone's toolbox. Just wish genuine Excel blades were more easily obtainable over here.

Concur. If you want one that will not roll: Anti Roll Hobby Knife

I absolutely love the carving knife: Excel Carving knife with the concave carving blades to remove come supports.

I have some concave blades but got to admit I'm not a massive lover.

The anti-roll knife looks like a neat idea, not sure how ergonomic it is though? I printed some of these to hold my model making brushes, and they continentally fit Excel knives perfectly ; https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1294085

Got my FOSHIO Plastic Razor Scrapers from Amazon the other day. Came with two handles and a boatload of "blades." Also have a nice deburring tool to add to my tool set. Now to move to the new house in Covington at the first of the month.

Got my FOSHIO Plastic Razor Scrapers from Amazon the other day. Came with two handles and a boatload of "blades." Also have a nice deburring tool to add to my tool set. Now to move to the new house in Covington at the first of the month.

I hope you find the FOSHIO Plastic Razor Scrapers helpful. I have also found that a Deburring tool is essential for cleaning up prints.

Back