Tools I could really use...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I need a set of tubular punches to cut rings and disks from matte board or cardboard. They would need an inside chamfer to cut centering rings, or an outside chamfer to cut disks. I could use pairs for BT-5, BT-20, and BT-50 (common motor mount sizes). These would make cutting centering rings for clusters a LOT easier.

What special tools are on your wish list?

Last edited:
Ridgid oscillating/ belt sander combo
Drill Press
Profile Sanding Set
Tool Caddy
6ft workbench to put the Rockwell saw, Ryobi chop saw, Sander, and drill press on.
Bigger garage refrigerator for more drinks.

I need a set of tubular punches to cut rings and disks from matte board or cardboard. They would need an inside chamfer to cut centering rings, or an outside chamfer to cut disks. I could use pairs for BT-5, BT-20, and BT-50 (common motor mount sizes). These would make cutting centering rings for clusters a LOT easier.

What special tools are on your wish list?
Don't a lot of folks just sharpen up either the inside or the outside of appropriately sized tubing for this? I'm almost certain it was TRF where I saw this, but maybe it was YORF.

EDIT:
Ratcheting right-angle snap-ring pliers with sturdy tips that angle slightly toward each other.

Last edited:
Don't a lot of folks just sharpen up either the inside or the outside of appropriately sized tubing for this? I'm almost certain it was TRF where I saw this, but maybe it was YORF.

That would work. Make me a set!

This, or look for an arch punch.

That would work. Make me a set!

I don't know how good 3D printing is for an application like this, but maybe someone with a 3D printer could try to make a punch and die set. Maybe you'd still need to sharpen the edges using a countersink bit or something to get the razor sharp edge, but it could be a cool product for someone. It would be easy to do with PVC or pipe from Lowe's, but our rocket sizes are just too odd, so being able to cheaply manufacture the right OD stuff with 3D printing might make it an option. @cwbullet

Sandy.

+1

I have a hobby class vertical (dry) one which is pretty useless, but I'd really like a horizontal one with coolant.

TP
Your talking metal cutting...pretty sure John is talking wood cutting. Woodworking bandsaws do not need or want coolant, metal cutting ones on the other hand work better with cutting fluid. I have both types of bandsaw.

Your talking metal cutting...pretty sure John is talking wood cutting. Woodworking bandsaws do not need or want coolant, metal cutting ones on the other hand work better with cutting fluid. I have both types of bandsaw.
Yes, aware of that. Apologies for the confusion - I must have misinterpreted the question.

TP

Yes, aware of that. Apologies for the confusion - I must have misinterpreted the question.

TP
My confusion was that you quoted Lakeroadsters post and +1'd it, therefore I thought you were confusing a wood cutting one with a metal cutting, since I believed John aka Lakeroadster was meaning wood cutting.

A band saw
I would like to have a small band saw for lots of different things. For rocketry I would use it to cut out fins. But I don't really have a place to keep it and if I bought one I'd probably end up not using it enough.
Otherwise I manage to build simple rockets with fairly limited tools.

Ah, understood. Yeah, it's one of those: I saw the thread title and saw "band saw" and jumped straight in without reading the backstory as it's one of those bits of kit that's been on my wish list for years.

TP

I would like to have a small band saw for lots of different things. For rocketry I would use it to cut out fins. But I don't really have a place to keep it and if I bought one I'd probably end up not using it enough.
Otherwise I manage to build simple rockets with fairly limited tools.

I have a scroll saw, which works great for LPR/MPR model rockets, and the other advantage is it doesn't take up much space.

My Dad had a Craftsman (wood cutting) bandsaw back when I was in my teens. It was really handy. We also used it to process beef and hogs once a year.

I would like a scroll saw for cutting odd shaped fins. But, alas I don't have room for anything else. Now, a shop would be nice.

The best "tool" I ever bought...

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 0
  • OGITB 000A.jpg
    OGITB 000A.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    514.8 KB · Views: 0
  • E SB NE.jpg
    E SB NE.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 0
Need to not use part of my shop for winter 20' pontoon storage; then I could have room for a 3D printer, drill press and lathe. Got a nice bandsaw, scroll saw and planer. Just need to get that damn boat out of there :)

I have been looking at steel buildings. When I started adding a bathroom and heat and a/c and insulation and ... The price got to be equal a stick built. So I'm waiting for a while. We will have access to our 401k's June 1st.

Our's is a "Lester Building". Wood framing, covered in steel panels. A very well designed building. We had one built back in the Midwest about 30 years ago also.

Back