Tool storage around the house

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a rolling Craftsman tool chest that holds a couple sliding drawer tool chests in the barn (The really good quality tools)

My workbench in the barn has multiple drawers and cabinets, all with specific duty tools and parts, such as
  • Electrical: Wire strippers, crimp connectors, heat shrink tubing, etc.
  • Large Fasteners: Bolts and nuts larger than 1/2" diameter, etc.
  • Drill Bits: Hole Saws, Forstener Bits, Blade Bits, Twist Drills, etc.
  • Air Wrenches: 3/8" drive pneumatic, 1/2" Impact, 3/8" torque wrench, 1/2" torque wrench, 1/2" bar style torque wrench
Whenever I buy power tools I always try to get them with a case to store them. These all fit in the base cabinets in the barn.

Then there is the table top tool box with sliding drawers in the attached garage (Mostly tools I inherited from my Dad, a mixed bag of manufacturers)

And then a small gambrel roof lunch box style tool box in the house (Cheapo tools)

I have a plastic tote with a handle that I use to carry tools back and forth... it's a real time saver.

Most all of my specific "rocket building tools" are in the desk I designed and built for my cad station.

Attachments

• tool Box.jpg
    tool Box.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 14
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Red Tool Box.JPG
    Red Tool Box.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Yellow Tote.JPG
    Yellow Tote.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 17
  • OGITB 004.jpg
    OGITB 004.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Nice! Anyone with a lift in their garage is playing in a different league from me. :)

Everybody's gotta have a hobby (or two)....

I rebuilt (instead of buying an inferior "new" remanufactured unit) the vintage starter on our '69 Camaro this spring... and the car fired right up... that's the reason for the Cheshire Cat grin..

Attachments

• John In The Camaro.jpg
    John In The Camaro.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 11
I neglected to mention earlier that some tools specific to rocket-building (exacto set, oak sanding block, Estes fin jig, etc.) are in a long skinny cardboard box that a rocket kit shipped in, at the rocket building workstation (which is an old tanker desk).

Tool Boxes!!! I had 3 26" stacks (base, mid & top chest) and a Snapon 54" base unit.
Kept all my automotive stuff in the Snapon, which is the one I lived out of for 20 years.
Had 2 Craftsman in my wood shop, and bought a Task Force from Lowe's that was almost exactly like the Craftsman for the Barn.
When I moved into the apartment, the 3 stacks went with me and Snapon went into storage. Eventually selling most the tools in it and the box.
I'd have the 3 stacks here now if I had room for them, but when D building burned and we had to move to a 2 bedroom apartment, there isn't room for anything here. I have some small plastic tool boxes under the wet bench with some basic tools.
But sadly most everything is in storage. But I can imagine dragging those things up the steps to the 2nd floor.
Hopefully a ground floor 3 bedroom will open up again and we can get what we were promised when D building burned.
But I'm not holding my breath.
btw, I used 60mil rubber to line all the drawers. Since it was free because I installed it for a living for almost 20 years.
I still have a large supply of it in storage. So if anyone needs some, I'd sell oversized pre-cut pieces (cheaper to ship that way) and you can trim it down to exact size you need.
But Tool Boxes are the best way. You move, they go with you. Unlike built in cabinets or other storage means.

Everybody's gotta have a hobby (or two)....

I rebuilt (instead of buying an inferior "new" remanufactured unit) the vintage starter on our '69 Camaro this spring... and the car fired right up... that's the reason for the Cheshire Cat grin..
Nice Camaro, do you have any pictures of the motor in it?

IMG_20210820_090050465.jpgMain workbench with pegboard wall I recently rebuilt and expanded.

IMG_20210820_090046594.jpg
To the left of that is a two sided, rotating pegboard thing I bought when the local JCPenney closed.

IMG_20210820_090057625.jpg
To the right, are various shelves. Some with just "stuff", but top boxed are rockets, then spray paint, and on the right are a shelf for screws, one for nails, and the drill and air tools live on the bottom.
IMG_20210820_090144060.jpg
In the garage, is a file cabinet with power tools, files, pond pumps, sand paper, etc. Behind that are two rolling toolboxes, a workbench of my grandfather's that would support a truck, cabinet storage for bike helmets, lubricants, and car stuff, to the right of that out of the picture are more shelves for painting supplies, plumbing crap, gardening stuff, ice chests and other whatnot, and in the right side of the picture is a four sided pegboard display thing that I bought at a yard sale for a dollar that hasn't found a home yet. It might end up at church, not sure.

I am obviously the wrong person to ask...

In my defense, that has been my garage workbench for the past 40+ years.

It all started when I built the bench...
I drool for your work area. My hobbies are restricted to a piece of my desk in the spare bedroom. One day I will build the man cave workspace of my dreams…

It's all about planning. I have the workshop now that I planned when I was a teenager.

Oh, planning and disposable income.

I have the swimming pool that my wife planned when she was a teenager. "Do you want a swimming pool?" might be worth adding to the list of first date questions. . .

Sandy.

I had 3 of the 5ft tall craftsman boxes but gave them away after I got messed up. We moved 4 times in 6 years constantly downsizing, now I just lost my 1 car garage I've been renting for the past 4 years as I cannot afford it anymore. 🤬 So now I moved my big metal tanker desk into my stereo room/bedroom and put all the tools I had in the rolling tool cart, into the 3 RH side drawers. Listed the tool cart on Marketplace so my days of owning tool boxes is about over.😔

Back