Tool Help: Porter Cable Drill Press

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mogibb1

Reaction score
I purchased the drill press from Lowes years ago (floor model) and haven't really used it much. I am now getting to where I'd like to turn pens and ornaments, etc. I've noticed that when I get the drill to it's max depth, it will shift to the left a little. It drills straight until all the way down and then slightly shifts. It slightly oversizes the hole on the bottom of the work piece. I am not mechanically inclined, but would like to figure this out and see if it's something I can repair myself. Any suggestions or ideas is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I had the same issue with a Jet drill press I have. I found the guide for the depth stop rod mounted on the left would shift when bottomed out. Tightening up the socket head screws on the depth stop eliminated that shift on mine. Good luck!

I have that drill press and I haven't had that issue. There are very few pens that exceed the depth of the drill press, so could you raise the table up so that the drill does not bottom out? I have had more trouble with drill bits that are not straight, than the bit diverging at the bottom.
The only Pen Kit that I have come across that is longer than the depth that the drill can handle is the "Long Click", That one I drill as far as possible and then add a block under it to complete the hole.

Back