Took a Motor Inventory Yesterday

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
I had all my motors stuffed into a shoe box, and had no idea what I had.

DSCN2757.jpg

I don't for the life of me know where I got all the B6-4's. My supply of C6's is dwindling. And I love the D12 and E9. I should have stocked up on more from the local hobby shop before moving to a place without a decent hobby store.

Still, fun to see what I have. I can't wait to use those G40's in some of my PSII rockets. And I bought the H133 for my L1 cert flight.

The long thing with the Blue Tape wrapped around it is a D12-0 staged to E9-6 for a two stager I lost before launching this combo. I'm going to have to cut those apart.

The long thing with the Blue Tape wrapped around it is a D12-0 staged to E9-6 for a two stager I lost before launching this combo.

You could just tape one of those extra B6-4s to the top of it, and then put it in some sort of 18mm motor mount rocket for a pseudo three stager.

Note- if you do this, let me know, so I can be at least 3 states away :)

You could just tape one of those extra B6-4s to the top of it, and then put it in some sort of 18mm motor mount rocket for a pseudo three stager.

Note- if you do this, let me know, so I can be at least 3 states away :)

If I do this, I'll let my family know, so they can get me into a nice institution.

Are the two motors joined with masking tape or are they joined with scotch type cellophane tape and I just cant see it. Usually when LPR staging a single wrap of scotch/cellophane tape is the recommended tape for connecting the motors.

I would say you got to get to burning a bunch of BP motors! What you got to fly them on?

Are the two motors joined with masking tape or are they joined with scotch type cellophane tape and I just cant see it. Usually when LPR staging a single wrap of scotch/cellophane tape is the recommended tape for connecting the motors.

Scotch tape. The masking tape was because it was an early scratch build that had a friction fit. I chickened out on flying it as a two-stager on launch day (probably good - I think it might have gone unstable with the two motors), and took it out. Then I lost it on just an E.

I also don't think I'd do a friction fit on a heavier motor combo like that now. I hate friction fit, except for tiny motors, and then I still hate it.

I would say you got to get to burning a bunch of BP motors! What you got to fly them on?

Well, I used to have a ton of C's. I stocked up at a local hobby shop before moving, and I don't usually use anything smaller than a C unless it's really windy, because I'm foolish like that, and apparently I need an excuse to buy more rockets.

So most of them have been Estes kits. The C6-7's were for the Quest Quadrunner (I need more than the two I have left), and the only C6-3 I have left is for the Big Bertha.

Also, for some reason, I never bought that many D's. I really like the E9 (I've never had a CATO on those. Must have missed the infamous batch number), so I kind of didn't have the D12's on my radar, but whenever I see them fly at a club, I really like them.

The E's have mostly flown on scratch builds, which I've tended to lose in the scrub (#YOLO - You Only Launch Once). My newly completed Astron Sprint XL clone uses those. The first flight went up on a D12, and came back with no damage. I didn't get video - I couldn't get my camera to turn on. But the flight was weird - it wiggled as it rolled on the way up. Not a corkscrew, exactly. More like a... well, picture an LP with an off-center hole. Like that. May be that it was packed oddly. I'll have to see how she does on the E9's.

DSCN2192.jpg

The 24mm composites I got for a scratch build I did after a design from the book Make: Rockets: Down-to-Earth Rocket Science by Mike Westerfield. The original design is your basic motor-hook-thrust-ring design with surface mounted fins. I souped it up a little with a screw-on retainer and radially-tapered sort of Nike style TTW fins, and it's a great rocket! Holds a hidden camera. It's called the Ceres B.

DSCN2374.jpg

The hidden camera...

DSCN2420.jpg

The fins...

DSCN2020.jpg

DSCN2018.jpg

DSCN2025.jpg

And the G40's will fly on my nearly-complete PSII's - Nike Smoke and Ventris.

The H133 will go into my Leviathan for my L1 attempt.

Last edited:
If you like the E-9 motors, you'll probably really like the CTI G33 mellow motor. 4.4 seconds of burntime!

If you like the E-9 motors, you'll probably really like the CTI G33 mellow motor. 4.4 seconds of burntime!

I think I've looked into that one for the Ceres B. That's a 24mm, right? I like the sound of 4.4 seconds!

That's a 24mm, right? I like the sound of 4.4 seconds!

29mm.. I've used it for saucers, but it will also work for lightweight rockets. Another favorite of mine is the G54 Red medium burn- 2.97 seconds.

29mm.. I've used it for saucers, but it will also work for lightweight rockets. Another favorite of mine is the G54 Red medium burn- 2.97 seconds.

Ah. Still sounds awesome. I'll have to check it out.

Back