Quantcast

Took a Motor Inventory Yesterday

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

lcorinth

Reaction score
I had all my motors stuffed into a shoe box, and had no idea what I had.

DSCN2757.jpg

I don't for the life of me know where I got all the B6-4's. My supply of C6's is dwindling. And I love the D12 and E9. I should have stocked up on more from the local hobby shop before moving to a place without a decent hobby store.

Still, fun to see what I have. I can't wait to use those G40's in some of my PSII rockets. And I bought the H133 for my L1 cert flight.

lcorinth

Reaction score
The long thing with the Blue Tape wrapped around it is a D12-0 staged to E9-6 for a two stager I lost before launching this combo. I'm going to have to cut those apart.

djs

Reaction score
The long thing with the Blue Tape wrapped around it is a D12-0 staged to E9-6 for a two stager I lost before launching this combo.
You could just tape one of those extra B6-4s to the top of it, and then put it in some sort of 18mm motor mount rocket for a pseudo three stager.

Note- if you do this, let me know, so I can be at least 3 states away :)

lcorinth

Reaction score
You could just tape one of those extra B6-4s to the top of it, and then put it in some sort of 18mm motor mount rocket for a pseudo three stager.

Note- if you do this, let me know, so I can be at least 3 states away :)
If I do this, I'll let my family know, so they can get me into a nice institution.

rharshberger

Reaction score
Are the two motors joined with masking tape or are they joined with scotch type cellophane tape and I just cant see it. Usually when LPR staging a single wrap of scotch/cellophane tape is the recommended tape for connecting the motors.

jeff_j_black

Reaction score
I would say you got to get to burning a bunch of BP motors! What you got to fly them on?

lcorinth

Reaction score
Are the two motors joined with masking tape or are they joined with scotch type cellophane tape and I just cant see it. Usually when LPR staging a single wrap of scotch/cellophane tape is the recommended tape for connecting the motors.
Scotch tape. The masking tape was because it was an early scratch build that had a friction fit. I chickened out on flying it as a two-stager on launch day (probably good - I think it might have gone unstable with the two motors), and took it out. Then I lost it on just an E.

I also don't think I'd do a friction fit on a heavier motor combo like that now. I hate friction fit, except for tiny motors, and then I still hate it.

lcorinth

Reaction score
I would say you got to get to burning a bunch of BP motors! What you got to fly them on?
Well, I used to have a ton of C's. I stocked up at a local hobby shop before moving, and I don't usually use anything smaller than a C unless it's really windy, because I'm foolish like that, and apparently I need an excuse to buy more rockets.

So most of them have been Estes kits. The C6-7's were for the Quest Quadrunner (I need more than the two I have left), and the only C6-3 I have left is for the Big Bertha.

Also, for some reason, I never bought that many D's. I really like the E9 (I've never had a CATO on those. Must have missed the infamous batch number), so I kind of didn't have the D12's on my radar, but whenever I see them fly at a club, I really like them.

The E's have mostly flown on scratch builds, which I've tended to lose in the scrub (#YOLO - You Only Launch Once). My newly completed Astron Sprint XL clone uses those. The first flight went up on a D12, and came back with no damage. I didn't get video - I couldn't get my camera to turn on. But the flight was weird - it wiggled as it rolled on the way up. Not a corkscrew, exactly. More like a... well, picture an LP with an off-center hole. Like that. May be that it was packed oddly. I'll have to see how she does on the E9's.

DSCN2192.jpg

The 24mm composites I got for a scratch build I did after a design from the book Make: Rockets: Down-to-Earth Rocket Science by Mike Westerfield. The original design is your basic motor-hook-thrust-ring design with surface mounted fins. I souped it up a little with a screw-on retainer and radially-tapered sort of Nike style TTW fins, and it's a great rocket! Holds a hidden camera. It's called the Ceres B.

DSCN2374.jpg

The hidden camera...

DSCN2420.jpg

The fins...

DSCN2020.jpg

DSCN2018.jpg

DSCN2025.jpg

And the G40's will fly on my nearly-complete PSII's - Nike Smoke and Ventris.

The H133 will go into my Leviathan for my L1 attempt.

Last edited:

djs

Reaction score
If you like the E-9 motors, you'll probably really like the CTI G33 mellow motor. 4.4 seconds of burntime!

lcorinth

Reaction score
If you like the E-9 motors, you'll probably really like the CTI G33 mellow motor. 4.4 seconds of burntime!
I think I've looked into that one for the Ceres B. That's a 24mm, right? I like the sound of 4.4 seconds!

djs

Reaction score
That's a 24mm, right? I like the sound of 4.4 seconds!
29mm.. I've used it for saucers, but it will also work for lightweight rockets. Another favorite of mine is the G54 Red medium burn- 2.97 seconds.

lcorinth

Reaction score
29mm.. I've used it for saucers, but it will also work for lightweight rockets. Another favorite of mine is the G54 Red medium burn- 2.97 seconds.
Ah. Still sounds awesome. I'll have to check it out.