Too small RMS casing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas

Reaction score
Did you ever had a casing which was too small?
I have here a rouse-tech 38/720 casing which is to small for AT liners.
The liner is ok it fits in all other 38er casings I have.

I've tried to sand down the liner but the casing is really a lot too small.
Finally I broke the phenolic liner. I have flown the motor in the meantime with a paperliner, which worked well.

When you say too small, are you referring to the length, or the diameter? I've had a few with the diameter where I had to peel off some of the liner to make it fit. Also, it may not be too small, but out of round, so it doesn't fit evenly. I had a 29/40-120 case once where liners would only go in halfway and stop- no matter which motor it was. I realized after a while that one end of the case had "flattened out" and made it not work correctly.

I have a Dr. Rocket 38/480 case that is on the small side. Most liners slide right in, but every once in a while I get one that won't fit. If I sand the liner it will eventually slide in and it works fine. I've found that the liners that don't fit the Dr. Rocket case will still slide right in the Aerotech 38/480 I borrow from another flyer. I've since bought my own Aerotech case and it is the same situation, the liners that don't fit the Dr. Rocket do fit the AT case.

It is very common to have to sand the crap out of the 38mm black liners. I use my belt sander. Works rather quickly.

Yeah, we had a local flyer with the same hardware and issue, the liner wouldn't fit in his hardware but would in practically any other 38/720 hardware. It was a phenolic liner and he just sanded a bit and that did the trick. If it were a paper liner then just remove a layer and you should be good to go.

Back