Too many rockets…

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately I'm thinking that I should get two of every kit because there have been so many times that I complete a rocket and think this or that could have been done better. If I had a second kit I could assemble it and avoid all the mistakes I made on the first one, and do a much better build.
I think I need an intervention.

Lately I'm thinking that I should get two of every kit because there have been so many times that I complete a rocket and think this or that could have been done better. If I had a second kit I could assemble it and avoid all the mistakes I made on the first one, and do a much better build.
I think I need an intervention.
You aren't the only one... :cheers:

There’s so many more choices available in model rocketry now. Back in ‘75 when I started all I knew about was Estes and Centuri. Now there’s a ton of really cool rockets, parts, accessories, etc out there online. Man all the websites are just loaded with so much stuff and I usually have to buy it.

There’s so many more choices available in model rocketry now. Back in ‘75 when I started all I knew about was Estes and Centuri. Now there’s a ton of really cool rockets, parts, accessories, etc out there online. Man all the websites are just loaded with so much stuff and I usually have to buy it.
There is a lot of truth to that. By '75 I was married with one on the way; I started somewhere around '67 or so (not real sure) and the very thoughts of putting video, altimeters, GPS trackers (what's a GPS?!), triaxial accelerometers, and all the wonderful electronics were nowhere on the horizon. Really? Air-start a cluster, are you out of your mind? Whaddaya mean, fly enough battery to start a motor in flight? How'r you gonna know when?

No, for us guys it was balsa and paper tubes and the NAR safety code and no metal and when I heard about Enerject composite motors, I only dreamed of what i could do with them.

That being said, I do exercise more discretion than most here, simply to keep my dear beloved from blowing her stack about the clutter. But I still have two in the build pile and two more on the wish list with winter building season, my birthday, and Christmas coming up, so I can hope. I do enjoy building.

There is a lot of truth to that. By '75 I was married with one on the way; I started somewhere around '67 or so (not real sure) and the very thoughts of putting video, altimeters, GPS trackers (what's a GPS?!), triaxial accelerometers, and all the wonderful electronics were nowhere on the horizon. Really? Air-start a cluster, are you out of your mind? Whaddaya mean, fly enough battery to start a motor in flight? How'r you gonna know when?

No, for us guys it was balsa and paper tubes and the NAR safety code and no metal and when I heard about Enerject composite motors, I only dreamed of what i could do with them.

That being said, I do exercise more discretion than most here, simply to keep my dear beloved from blowing her stack about the clutter. But I still have two in the build pile and two more on the wish list with winter building season, my birthday, and Christmas coming up, so I can hope. I do enjoy building.
What’s the two on your wish list?

What’s the two on your wish list?
1. A Wac Corporal with Tiny Tim booster (my very first rocket was an Estes 18mm Wac Corporal with the slits in the body tube for the shock cord).
2. Bullet Bobby

For more info than you asked for, I just completed an Odd'l Cyclone and a Der Red Max (With/for my brother-in-law). In process is An Odd'l Breakaway and an ACME Spitfire. The Odd'ls and the Spitfire are to throw curve balls at the grandkids - show them alternate means of recovery and so on. The Wac Corporal/Tiny Tim would be my first multi-stage. I understand the gap staging is dramatic and that would impress the grandkids as well as introduce them to another new concept/procedure.

1. A Wac Corporal with Tiny Tim booster (my very first rocket was an Estes 18mm Wac Corporal with the slits in the body tube for the shock cord).
2. Bullet Bobby

For more info than you asked for, I just completed an Odd'l Cyclone and a Der Red Max (With/for my brother-in-law). In process is An Odd'l Breakaway and an ACME Spitfire. The Odd'ls and the Spitfire are to throw curve balls at the grandkids - show them alternate means of recovery and so on. The Wac Corporal/Tiny Tim would be my first multi-stage. I understand the gap staging is dramatic and that would impress the grandkids as well as introduce them to another new concept/procedure.
Have you built any of the NewWay rocket kits? A good way to “square” your grandkids up 👍

No, I haven't, but I have a design in my head for a square-tube rocket, even corresponded with the owner of NewWay about tube availability - but I have to get specific with him before he can help me out. I could scratch them as well, we'll see. It'd be like the Estes Venus Probe, but the character in the lander would be a character I invented in my childhood.

Let me introduce you to my WIFE! :D
AMEN, and AMEN! My dear beloved does not have much sympathy for the hobby and has zero tolerance for clutter. So I have to keep it neat, which is good in a way. And she does see it interesting the grandkids. So that helps. But it is tough to launch around here, get everyone together on short notice, etc. I see her points and understand.

And the sign over the kitchen door reads, "When the Queen is happy, there is peace in the kingdom." ;)

I helped make my wife ok with it by letting her do some of the paint jobs lol so now when I really want a rocket I show her and say oooooh I bet you could do a really nice paint job on this kit. and before you know it I'll catch her checking it out and looking at paint colors lmao. In one way I created a monster but in another way I pretty much get any rocket I want just by challenging her. And believe it or not she has gotten just as good if not better than me depending on design and I haven't got any hell for buying rocket.she is also great quality control she will nit pick my fillets and body work even more than I do 😂😂

Why do I keep buying new rockets? I already have WAY more kits than I could ever build (60+ years old and seriously declining health), yet somehow I cannot resist “ooh, that one’s cool; let’s buy one”!

Am I the only one here that does this?
No! And the isn't any such thing as too many!

Hmm, is this a thing?
Kinda. As the OP, I have rocket kits strewn throughout the house in 3 different locations because one isn't enough to store them all. It's building season now, but also my club's flying season (we fly off of corn fields after harvest and up until the spring planting), so no idea what I'll get built over the next few months. I still have a 12-D Bullpup that's fully painted but haven't finished the decals yet, and it's been that way for probably 6 months now! :confused:

Kinda. As the OP, I have rocket kits strewn throughout the house in 3 different locations because one isn't enough to store them all. It's building season now, but also my club's flying season (we fly off of corn fields after harvest and up until the spring planting), so no idea what I'll get built over the next few months. I still have a 12-D Bullpup that's fully painted but haven't finished the decals yet, and it's been that way for probably 6 months now! :confused:

Agreement with my wife: we can have rockets, but they can be in the bedroom - a good compromise. Wait, yours are assembled?

I agree, not possible to have too many rockets. Does anyone have clear instructions for their better halves if you should, heaven forbid pass, on how much to sell these unbuilt kits? How 'bout instructions to sell on TRF first! :)

I don't have a kit problem because now I am doing almost all scratch builds. That said, I do have a parts problem. You buy 48" of Blue Tube and use 18", you still have a tube to store...and another rocket or two to build...and you have to design that rocket before you can use the left over tube...and you have to buy more parts for the new design that you don't have...

You kit guys have it easy, everything is contained in a package. I have parts everywhere...

I also have a motor problem. My ammo box I store them in is full and I'm thinking I need to buy another...

I don't have a kit problem because now I am doing almost all scratch builds. That said, I do have a parts problem. You buy 48" of Blue Tube and use 18", you still have a tube to store...and another rocket or two to build...and you have to design that rocket before you can use the left over tube...and you have to buy more parts for the new design that you don't have...

You kit guys have it easy, everything is contained in a package. I have parts everywhere...

I also have a motor problem. My ammo box I store them in is full and I'm thinking I need to buy another...
Do you bother storing the H and J motors in the ammo box or leave them in the package? I have old ammo boxes that I think I'll paint and store my F and G motors in.

I only fly DMS at this point and I haven't bought any that don't fit in the ammo box, biggest being the AT J270W I used for my L2 cert flight. I'm scratch building a lot of short/fat rockets, so long motors not in the cards yet.

Back